No
2 (2.3%)
Maybe so
12 (14%)
Huh?
3 (3.5%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Voting closed: April 12, 2004, 05:12:47 am

Author Topic: New Subspace Tunnel Model?  (Read 44036 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
New Subspace Tunnel Model?
Currently the underlying subspace tunnel consists of two tapered cylinders, rotating at a decent clip around their long axis in opposite directions.

What do people think about a new model that has 4 layers? The inner two would be the same as the current ones, but the outer two could be rotating slower, still in opposing directions, and with more subtly colored textures.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Huh? :confused:

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
I say yes. The current model works, but it could be better. And right now you can see the edges of the cylinders.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Goober5000
Huh? :confused:

Subspace is currently two layered, with different textures rotating in opposite directions to each other. Sandwich is suggesting we make a new model which has four layers, which also rotate (perhaps at different speeds), and will add to the richness of the subspace effect. I vote aye, though I'm still not entirely sure why this is in the SCP section. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
why not, if it looks better in the end.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I voted maybe, I would have to see screenies of candidates and an accounting of performance impact would need to be made.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
i voted yes, since it's a mission area, it's in need of an upgrade, and higher-res textures at that.
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
A very big yes, Subspace is taken for granted - a lot more could be made of it (not to mention different types etc).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I'm not sure how this would look different from the current effect - I'd have to see some examples.  And I'm not sure how it would be implemented.  But I'm open to ideas. :)

Offline mikhael

• Back to skool
  • Fnord!
    • http://www.google.com/search?q=404error.com
I can't see this causing a huge performance hit. After all, you're really only adding what? 1200 polys maximum (and that's assuming you decided to make the cones really high res along their length and their circumference).

Adding more layers can only improve the look of subspace. I say do it and do it now.
[I am not really here. This post is entirely a figment of your imagination.]

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
I'm up for contributing textures. :D
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Originally posted by Setekh
...though I'm still not entirely sure why this is in the SCP section. :)

Oops, I just hit "New Topic" from another thread where I got the idea. :p

But if we're already here.... what kind of SCP enhancements could we give subspace? I'd like to see lightning bolts ala the stormy nebulas.

EDIT: Hmm, I just looked into the VP - the 2 current layers of subspace are actually seperate files, not just rotating subsystems. So SCP help would be required I think.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: Lightning:

I agree, but we really need good lightning. The stuff we have now seems like it could be expanded on a lot better into "proper" lightning... as opposed to colored lines.

Also, it'd be nice if Subspace could be made to have EMP effects and other neat stuff.

Offline AqueousShadow

• Devil
  • Imperial Highway
Maybe a long winding and spiralling tunnel instead of just one long..cylinder ? :nervous:

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
The lightning, they would look cool, but running only on the corridor "walls"
SCREW CANON!

Offline SA22C

Yeah, subspace definately needs an overhaul.

Offline Su-tehp

• Devil in the Deep Blue
I voted maybe also, but I want to see in-game screenies too in order to make a final decision.

This is definitely worth pursuing.
REPUBLICANO FACTIO DELENDA EST

Creator of the Devil and the Deep Blue campaign - Current Story Editor of the Exile campaign

"Let my people handle this, we're trained professionals. Well, we're semi-trained, quasi-professionals, at any rate." --Roy Greenhilt,
The Order of the Stick

"Let´s face it, we Freespace players may not be the most sophisticated of gaming freaks, but we do know enough to recognize a heap of steaming crap when it´s right in front of us."
--Su-tehp, while posting on the DatDB internal forum

"The meaning of life is that in the end you always get screwed."
--The Catch 42 Expression, The Lost Fleet: Beyond the Frontier: Steadfast

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I voted yes, but how often does the subspace tunnel actually make an appearance in FS2 or mod missions? Maybe it just my memory, but I don't recall seeing it even once in FS2, even in the missions where the Bastion is supposed to blow up the Capella node. Well, I can't vouch for mods, becuase I haven't played them all.

Not to hijack this thread, but has anyone thought of doing a new and improved jump animation? The current one is showing its age, and its an aspect of the game that is seen very often. Maybe just upping the resolution or even modifying the actual look. Just a thought.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
It shows up for the final mission of the original FS game, but never again - indeed it doesn't work at all in stock FS2, you need a mod to get it running. It's underestimated if you ask me - you could have a lot of fun with it.