Author Topic: Will we be playing an anonimous pilot a la freespace 2 or a set character?  (Read 6972 times)

Offline IronForge

• You Most Make Estimate!
  • Banned for failing to make a campaign in one month
Will we be playing an anonimous pilot a la freespace 2 or a set character?
Will it be boring ol FS2 where you play an anonymous pilot, or will we get to play a set character? Probably same ol FS2 but just wondering, since the game is modelled after a film. Would be a little hard to throw in an annonymous pilot...
Anyway, whatever you have, I'm just glad to have it.

Thanks.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Re: Will we be playing an anonimous pilot a la freespace 2 or a set character?
This is actually something we've discussed at lenght, there are pros and cons for both approaches. For R1 we ended up going with an anonymous pilot, but we may do things differently in later releases.

Offline IronForge

Wow, another Dev response. Thanks a lot XD

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
What, you think it's wrong of us to actually reply to queries about the game? We could of course start deleting threads if you like it better that way. :P

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
There would always be option 3: Play as a non-canon character. Not just anonymus Alpha1, but a character with a name, voice, opinion, etc.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline IronForge

Well I think its best we stay completely canon and yet get to play thru the big battles. In short, we all be Starbuck. Or someone that appears in almost all major battles.

Or... play the Galactica  :pimp:  Naw JK forget I said that.

Offline tikey

• Not Batman
I want to play as Batman

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
There would always be option 3: Play as a non-canon character. Not just anonymus Alpha1, but a character with a name, voice, opinion, etc.
Since R1 doesn't even take place on any canon ship, our choice was between a non-canon player character or an anonymoys one.

As for playing as a well known pilot like Starbuck or Apollo, I think it's a bad idea. It might work on single missions like Hand of God raid, but not in a whole campaign.

Offline Felix 039

• The One True Noob
We should start to come up with some call signs for the DEVs to put in game  ;7
Turning pros into noobs since 1992.
---
Oh look, there's something down here!

No there isn't...

Offline IronForge

Besides the canon call signs, you could stick to alpha, beta, kappa, theta, gamma  :ick:

Offline FraktuRe

• Not stupid enough
  • Cheesy oneliner, *****es!
    • Fraktured Reality
Batman can breathe in space.
Or something.
There’s nothing like the truth skewed into the mind of the insane.
- Fraktured Reality
The artist formerly known as Cl1nt.

Offline Echelon9

We should start to come up with some call signs for the DEVs to put in game  ;7
Or even better than your favourite call sign, get in the game yourself.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Exactly. We're offering the chance not just to come up with a callsign but to come up with an entire set of dialogue that might be used in the game.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
I tend to think if the NPC characters are strong enough then it diminishes the need for the lead character to be a starring role.  While the dialog needed some refinement I tend to think the BTRL Demo did a pretty good job of making the game characterful even if the player character is anonymous.  In a way I think it allows the player to imagine themselves into the role a bit more then say, "You are Major Zeddicus "MagicMan" Zorander you like kittens, long walks in the Aerlon Prairie and chewing out nuggets."
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Just an idea...

How about you get a choice of charecters to play that opens up different story arks

So say for the battle of the ressurection ship you could play apollo who has to go in the blackbird, starbuck  or someone else in the main attack, one of the defense vipers they used for the decoy mini fleet that drew the raiders away, and then you could have something like the FTL not working. Or you could play as one of the raptor pilots who have to keep safe but at the same time be close enough to get readings to relay back to the fleet.

I know what i suggested is probably one of the more complicated things ever but it just came to me there.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Some day, Resurrection Ship Part 2 will make an absolutely epic multiplayer co-op mission.

"You! Go defend the civilian decoys while they flee on sublight! You, go take out the Resurrection Ship's FTL. You, go shoot down missiles coming at Galactica (Pegasus has that kickass ECM that makes all those beautifully rendered Zoic missile contrails go curving away)! And you, you can, um, go use Glide to fly down the length of the Resurrection Ship while strafing tiny Sixes."

I would say make our character the tattooed pilot. He's an established character and is greatly loved by the fan community, but never speaks - we know nothing about him - which means you are free to make stuff up.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I just want to point out that the canonical existence of refugees from the  Thirteenth Colony removes the limit of twelve (thirteen) Cylon models.

You can make anybody you want a Cylon as long as you can figure out a way they got from Earth to here without the Final Five knowing about it.

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
That defeats the entire point of the Five being special and important in the Grand Scheme of Things(tm).
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
It does?

They're special and important because they hooked up with the Centurions, negotiated the truce, and then got reprogrammed and sent into the Colonies by Cavil.

I don't think they're very special past that.