Author Topic: Looking for more programmers!  (Read 11110 times)

Offline Inquisitor

Looking for more programmers!
Having a bit of a lull, might as well use this time to recruit!

We're looking for C++ gurus!

What I need from you?

Your contact information, your resume, and a small code sample.

---
What you get from doing this?

Not alot ;) Seriously though, you get to work on some cool technology. This is work that is resume building. You get to improve a game you love. Fix bugs, add features, generally be the cool cat. And you'll get the thanks and the gratitude of a pretty cool community. We TRY to work with tools that "real" developers might use, we're into version control, and bug tracking and documentation (and no, we don;t do it all right, all the time, but we're learning). Could be a cool way to get a taste of that! So you could learn something outside of cool openGL stuff or network stuff. I was serious, this is a resume builder, and every one on this team should have this on their resume. Join the team :)

---
Who should apply?

Anyone who has some C++ experience and was thinking about getting into game development. Oh yeah, and you have to love FreeSpace.

---
Do you know anyone? Get them to show up, and we'll chat :)
No signature.

*looks out from behind a wall*
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 12:03:38 am by 2219 »

Offline silverwolf

• whoa...he still pops in
hmm interesting i'll have to give my friend a copy of FS2 and say how would oyu like to work with the source. hel'll prolly decline unless FS likes his laptop

Offline redmenace

:welcome:
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hmm, maybe we could drag some coders away from the ultimately futile project Ferrium and put them to work on something we actually have now, is fully functional, and looks better than anything a group of amateurs working in their spare time could hope to create in three years? You know, make better use of their talents. Just saying, there's lots of Freespace SCP talent in there.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I wish I had free time  :(

Seriously, now, why not send this as an e-mail to all colleges and unis having classes on game devellopment?

Some serious mods for NWN were organised that way!
If you want to be ready for Wing Commander Saga: The Darkest Dawn, then download and play the prologue first.

Here,

http://www.wcsaga.com/downloads/files/download/releases-prologue-setup-exe.html

Then, while waiting for the Darkest dawn, Download Starshatter 4.02

http://www.starshattermods.com/infusions/pro_download_panel/download.php?did=214

You 'll understand why once you have.

I was thinking the same thing... theres alot of gaming programers in my school, ima advertise this, put one of the admins contacts info if theyre interested in recieveing some fresh c++ coders....

Offline redmenace

Originally posted by Galemp
Hmm, maybe we could drag some coders away from the ultimately futile project Ferrium and put them to work on something we actually have now.

First of all the purpose of ferrium is to allow for further expansion. The fs2 code is horrible pile of **** from what I understand. There were good reason kazan started ferrium.

I am not trying to be combative, but ferrium is a worthwhile venture. Like TBP staff said "it will fail if you let it fail" (paraphrased, they were refering to TBP but the same applies to ferrium).
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

I could post a link on our school, but since the main programming being thought is NQC for Lego's, and Visual Basic for Beginners, I doubt you could get real coders. Still, it might be worth the shot.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Inquisitor

Galemp: That's not my decision. People make their own choices, and right now, ferrium seems interetesting and the SCP does not to them.

Tbird I think is volunteering, that's one.

Ask anyone you think might be interested :)
No signature.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by redmenace
First of all the purpose of ferrium is to allow for further expansion. The fs2 code is horrible pile of **** from what I understand. There were good reason kazan started ferrium.
First of all, Kazan started Ferrium because he's wanted to do that all along, even before Volition released the source.  Second of all, the code is not a horrible piece of **** -- far from it.  Yes, there are ugly hacks in there, but on the whole it's a well-done, structured piece of software.  Remember, it was built by professional programmers.
Like TBP staff said "it will fail if you let it fail" (paraphrased, they were refering to TBP but the same applies to ferrium).
The same can also be said of the SCP.

I don't think I like the way this thread is going...

Ferrium vs. SCP= No-No
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Oh I'd love to join but I don't know how to use C or C++.

But ph4er my Turbo Pascal skillz ;7

I can wirte a program that insults the user. Pretty funny ;)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

I'm with Jetmech Jr. here. *****ing about Ferrium is not going to help the SCP, so we might as well drop it :P.

Offline redmenace

Goober: my understanding is that for its time it was well put together. Stable and able to run on slower machines. But, as I understand it,  as far as expandibility is concerned, it is difficult to perform. I guess this more due to the fact that we(meaning the project) didn't program it and wouldn't know the ins and outs of the code.

I didn't mean to tick you off, I apologize.

Thunderbird, you will need:
Win CVS
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/cvsgui/WinCvs120.zip?download

The Getting Started
http://dynamic4.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php/Accessing%20the%20CVS%20Server
« Last Edit: September 15, 2004, 03:41:27 pm by 887 »
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It is a concern that Ferrium seems to be sapping away the SCP programmers, but it is their choice what to do with their time and the opportunity of working on a code base from the ground up probably sounds a lot more appealing at the moment.

The guys don't get paid, it's their choice what they do, I'm sure they'll be back in time, the two projects can] work side by side but only if we remember that.

I wish I knew C++. I really will start learning at some point.......:nervous:

Offline Aspa

I know a bit of C++, and have some experience in OO design with polymorphism, serialization and stuff.

I've coded a little bit for Ferrium. but am not active at the moment.

Offline Anaz

I'm not active in ferrium, but then again this semester, I'm not active in much right now...full schedule this semester :sigh:.

Ask again sometime in january, and I'll be happy to jump on board.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Flipside
It is a concern that Ferrium seems to be sapping away the SCP programmers, but it is their choice what to do with their time and the opportunity of working on a code base from the ground up probably sounds a lot more appealing at the moment.

The guys don't get paid, it's their choice what they do, I'm sure they'll be back in time, the two projects can] work side by side but only if we remember that.

I wish I knew C++. I really will start learning at some point.......:nervous:

:nod:
Extension of an existing code base Vs analysis, design & implementation of a new one.  Both common professional activities (the former more common in my limited experience), both good areas for work, so I don't think you can grudge people choosing what is most interesting to them.