Author Topic: Command is quite stupid. Why do they even use Beams? So ineffective.  (Read 11153 times)

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
  • doesent care about canon
Re: Command is quite stupid. Why do they even use Beams? So ineffective.
they only eat energy on fighters. you dont know how much energy captial ships have!

Burn the sucker out of the sky!
EAT PHOTONS INFIDEL! MAY THE HEAT OF A THOUSAND SUNS CONSUME YOU! :mad2:

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Energy, life support, engines, lights, all eat up energy too.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
this is a game were talking about. energy is set by a table value, not ship-builders.

snail gives a debriefing: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,48825.msg991954.html#msg991954

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Turrets on bigger ships are the size of fighters..any ship builder with half a brain would stuck a fighter reactor into a turret and put something powerfull that will make full use of that power (AAAF, maxim, Keyser).
That way the ships reactor is free for engines and beam cannoz ;)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I concur.  But, I mean, we're talking about bombs here... y'know how easy it would be to defend capships if they replaced all their blob turrets with ML-16s??  No shielding on capships or bombs...  ML-16 fire rate is quite nice, and even on the earliest fighters, you can drop weapon energy to almost nothing and still fire continuously.  Or drop it altogether & fire for like 3 mins straight.  Blob turrets only make sense vs. unshielded, lightly armored, poorly maneuverable targets... Vasudan bombers, anyone?  But that doesn't explain their use in FS2.  That confuses me.

If cap ships had fighter weps they could defend themselves from bombers what would alpha one do?

Alpha 1 would probably go on more suicide bombing missions.  You know....  Run the gauntlet of Morning Stars and AAA beams, while listening to Command ***** about how long it takes you to destroy your target.

I dunno, I guess it'll just be too hard to play if cap ships had fight weaponry for turrets. Or maybe its because theres a deal going on, buy 1 blob turret and get 20 free!

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
If we would make the mod anywhere close to reasonable then playing the game as fighter/bomber pilot might get very boring. By reasonable i mean that turrets would have at least equal specs as the fighter weapons, probably a lot better, having longer range and carrying long range missiles etc. (just to take out those pesky Maximizers). But as it is the game is just balanced to give fighters and bombers a huge advantage over the cap ships.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I dunno, I guess it'll just be too hard to play if cap ships had fight weaponry for turrets. Or maybe its because theres a deal going on, buy 1 blob turret and get 20 free!

I have made some experiments, and yes it does get harder...but not impossible.

Depends on how powerfull you make the blob turrets you may need to blance it slighly or none at all...

for instance, I play FS port and it's campiang with altered tables (TT's fire faster and travel faster...THT's have a far greater range, more damage and HUGE flags...smae for vasudan and shivan counterparts) without problems.. Slighly more challenging, but not by much.

Now I tried playing some other missions with even different weapons - some that turn capships into real doombringers..in this case you need to actualyl do some balancing (like adding more friendly/hostile bombers or increasing AI...or bomb damage). I have to say I find this more satisfying than the stock tables...

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
If we would make the mod anywhere close to reasonable then playing the game as fighter/bomber pilot might get very boring. By reasonable i mean that turrets would have at least equal specs as the fighter weapons, probably a lot better, having longer range and carrying long range missiles etc. (just to take out those pesky Maximizers). But as it is the game is just balanced to give fighters and bombers a huge advantage over the cap ships.

To make it more real...increase hte bomb damage SUBSTANTIALLy..yes, it will be harder for ANY bomb to come trough...but those that do will HURT!
There's your balance back.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
you forget, freespace is not in our reality.

*outer limits theme start*

it exists in a reality conceived by Volition staff. in this reality, the laws of nature, physics, and science are different. its a reality that can be altered by the real world, or added onto too. it can crash itself becaus eof a table error, or have ships pass through eachother. a simple web address can give you the power to destroy all, or protect your wingmen. this reality...is the freespace limits.

*theme end*

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Dunno...teh prospect of 4-5 bombs being enough to blow any capship away, but at the same time the capship having the power to blow most bombers away...intruigues me :D

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
If you want to make it more real-life, you'd have to have the Real flight mod or similar for the fighters & bombers.  Capships get meaner, fighters/bombers get faster & more maneuverable.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
-no_emmissive_light -ambient_factor 0 -spec_point 50 -spec_static 70 -spec_tube 68 -mod mediavps, realflight

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
akenbosch, give'em a linky for the realflight mod.... :p

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
What does the targeting laser do? It doesn't do anything for me. Is it a yet-to-be-implemented feature?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
    • Steam
It was a feature that was removed from FS2... it was supposed to give you the ability to target something with it, and then a capship could fire Helios torpedoes at your target, IIRC.  Not sure of the specifics.

Offline akenbosch

• Pretentious Noob
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,47069.0.html

^best version of realflight. the newest version is on page 2 of modding, but dogfighting is a pain.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It was a feature that was removed from FS2... it was supposed to give you the ability to target something with it, and then a capship could fire Helios torpedoes at your target, IIRC.  Not sure of the specifics.

I think it had something to do with the ssm.tbl. You would aim the targeting laser at a ship, and the defined missiles in the ssm.tbl would jump in from subspace and attack the ship you aimed it at.