Author Topic: distant... Yet familiar...  (Read 2805 times)

Offline starlord

distant... Yet familiar...
I was quite amused when I stumbled on this on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv3CtpL6RPE

I owned the game for quite a while, and have always appreciated the organic ships... While they are different, I find a likeness in both awe, shape and volume in our good friend, the sathanas.

Pity this was one of the games that never truly made it out... the end leaves us groping for more, yet it just died...

Perhaps the owners of deadly tide might still enjoy...

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Re: distant... Yet familiar...
I've always thought a "Deadly Tide" mod would be awesome: Freespace physics are practically underwater physics anyway. :)

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Super-powered aliens that the human forces can hardly dent?

Then you blow their fighters up with a PISTOL by the thousands? No wonder it failed! The story execution was terrible.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline starlord

Actually you blow up drones, mines and pilots... :D

In level 3 (or 4) you blow up one fighter only, but you have to destroy all of it's subsystems to kill it. However, when in the hydra, you munch them by the dozen, although you can't squish capitals) :mad:

It's true that I think that those ships would make a charming addition to the FS2 ship library... aside from several fighters and drones, I have seen one freighter/cruiser (looking very aten-like) and the squid like leviathans. Perhaps in the future, a modeler might see them as worthy of interest...

The game always was a torture, as the story ends up in a cliff hanger. However, if a MOD was to be born, it could stage the pilot's escape from the aliens (I like to call the the chtons, in referrence to cthulhu), the reunion with earth, and the campaign to destroy them (both in space and water)...

Of course those are only ideas... for now, preserving the ships (as done with space: above and beyond) might be the way to go...

Edit: I never thought the game had that much popularity. Should you be interested to know, it's a descendant of "the hive" game by trimark (it shares gameplay, orchestrate music (I love that) and sound effects).
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 10:14:48 am by starlord »

Offline Leeko

• Computer ketchup
  • Lurking since 2009
Failed? From what I understand it was a classic.

Apparently a lot of the people who worked on Starlancer also did this. Same voices too. Oh its a microsoft game, that explains it.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
*boots to Gaming*

Huh...I thought this might be an older underwater PC game I played a few times at an uncle's house, but that wasn't a rail shooter like this is.  (Just in case it rings a bell for anyone, that game featured you piloting a stingray-shaped ship that could ride on the surface of the water as well as maneuver underwater.)  It does look rather fun.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Tigershark?

“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline starlord

What version is this? I've got V1.0 and there's a grayed button labelled mission disk... I've never found it, and given the manual pics, I think it was discontinued and the button was then deleted.

However, tigershark (however difficult that may be) is a full story from beginning to end... I quite liked it!

Deadly tide however ends in a major cliff hanging way... Not unlike G-police 2 or colony wars... Which is where IMO MODS should be taken into consideration...

Edit: I suppose FSopen can handle deadly tide style organic hull, right?
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 01:56:06 pm by starlord »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Tigershark?
Heh, I think that's it.  Thanks.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
colony wars...

a cliffhanger ending? Both ColonyWars 1 and 2 have multiple endings and each is well executed and satisfying and puts and end to the story. No cliffhanger.  :rolleyes:

What are you talking about?
Some people claim there is a game called ColonyWars: Red Sun but if you are refering to that game, let me tell you THAT IT DOES NOT EXIST! THERE IS NO COLONY WARS 3 UNDERSTOOD?  :ick:
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Everything on the net seems to say and show that colony wars red sun exists and has been released. I'm curious as to what's up with the game exactly whether it actually got released or just finished and nothing else.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

It got released.  It just has a story barely unrelated to the original two Colony Wars games, has no branching ending, and is generally un-fulfilling.  In other words its the Phantom Menace of Colony Wars.
17:37:02   Quanto: I want to have sexual intercourse with every space elf in existence
17:37:11   SpardaSon21: even the males?
17:37:22   Quanto: its not gay if its an elf

[21:51] <@Droid803> I now realize
[21:51] <@Droid803> this will be SLIIIIIGHTLY awkward
[21:51] <@Droid803> as this rich psychic girl will now be tsundere for a loli.
[21:51] <@Droid803> OH WELLL.

See what you're missing in #WoD and #Fsquest?

[07:57:32] <Caiaphas> inspired by HerraTohtori i built a supermaneuverable plane in ksp
[07:57:43] <Caiaphas> i just killed my pilots with a high-g maneuver
[07:58:19] <Caiaphas> apparently people can't take 20 gees for 5 continuous seconds
[08:00:11] <Caiaphas> the plane however performed admirably, and only crashed because it no longer had any guidance systems

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
It got released.  It just has a story barely unrelated to the original two Colony Wars games, has no branching ending, and is generally un-fulfilling.  In other words its the X-Men 3 of Colony Wars.

Fixed :D
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline starlord

IMO, there's still something interesting in it...

But ok, let's look at G-police 2 then: isn't that a cliff-hanger?

Offline starlord

the thread initially deals with deadly tide and it's ships... :lol:

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
... I clicked remove instead of modify. How did I do that? Anyway. I read the description and though, 'Deadly Tide'. It was one of the first games I ever played, along with C&C.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline starlord

In that case, I take it you were taken aback by the ending? :nod:

Also, be sure to check out the hive: it's a rail shooter pretty much like deadly tide, and as it was made by some on the same programmers, some sounds you'll recognize.

Offline Stormkeeper

• Interviewer Extraordinaire
  • Boomz!
In that case, I take it you were taken aback by the ending? :nod:
Well. T'was quite a long while ago. I don't think I can even remember the ending. Though I do remember the Hydra eventually got too banged up to continue on. That brought tears to my eyes. My beautiful and faithful Hydra.
Ancient-Shivan War|Interview Board

Member of the Scooby Doo Fanclub. And we're not talking a cartoon dog here people!!

Offline starlord

I hated the fact that there were survivors, and that they took the pilot with them... and the game ends on some form of "we'll do everything to get him back" message, leaving you screaming for more...