Author Topic: OT-Religion...  (Read 114035 times)

Offline Top Gun

There is precisely zero evidence for any Religious belief, all of them rely on blind faith and faith alone. Of course nobody will ever be able to disprove them in the same way you can't be one hundered percent sure that the Shivans aren't real (but it's pretty unlikely). It's amazing how the supernatural amazingly fills what we don't know (200 years ago: "How did we come about?" "Oh a god must have made us." Now: "How did the Universe come about?" "Oh, a god must have sparked it off"). "The god of the gaps" as it's known is an assumption. For example: if my car goes missing, I wouldn't suddenly jump to conclusions and blame a supernatuarl being for it, which is always a possibility but there are for more likely causes, I would work by a process of elimination starting with the most likely first. Of course Using a "god" to explain the origins of everything is rather short sighted. Assuming that a god does exist, there is always the question of how he/she/it came about which leads us straigt back to where we started from. Yes, certain religious texts contain very good messages; "Love thy neighbour" for example would make the world a better place if everyone took more notice of it. But they can be a double edged sword, anyone ever read Leviticus? The thing we all need to do is keep an open mind and only believe something that has evidence to explain it.

Offline TheCelestialOne

• Man of Exceptional Taste
If I am my own god I am in control over my own life and thus in control over everything that happens to me.
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

~Supporter of the The Babylon Project~

Like Babylon 5? Like Star Trek? Like science fiction? Go HERE

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by an0n

You believe you have/will be/are beaten.

Thunder: Eh?

I was putting it in context. If it's how you use the word then he isn't defeatest.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Originally posted by TheCelestialOne
If I am my own god I am in control over my own life and thus in control over everything that happens to me.

No I wasn't refering to that. I was refering to the fact that you seem to limit your control to yourself. I'm sure you could be a god over lots of people if you worked hard and applied yourself. No reason to believe you couldn't. Therefore, defeatist.

Yes, I know, obscure and badly explained, but....meh.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Originally posted by Top Gun
There is precisely zero evidence for any Religious belief, all of them rely on blind faith and faith alone. Of course nobody will ever be able to disprove them in the same way you can't be one hundered percent sure that the Shivans aren't real (but it's pretty unlikely). It's amazing how the supernatural amazingly fills what we don't know (200 years ago: "How did we come about?" "Oh a god must have made us." Now: "How did the Universe come about?" "Oh, a god must have sparked it off"). "The god of the gaps" as it's known is an assumption. For example: if my car goes missing, I wouldn't suddenly jump to conclusions and blame a supernatuarl being for it, which is always a possibility but there are for more likely causes, I would work by a process of elimination starting with the most likely first. Of course Using a "god" to explain the origins of everything is rather short sighted. Assuming that a god does exist, there is always the question of how he/she/it came about which leads us straigt back to where we started from. Yes, certain religious texts contain very good messages; "Love thy neighbour" for example would make the world a better place if everyone took more notice of it. But they can be a double edged sword, anyone ever read Leviticus? The thing we all need to do is keep an open mind and only believe something that has evidence to explain it.

Well some people believe it could be aliens, helping our race develop by shaping us, as the Vorlons did in B5.
Got Ether?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Zeronet
Well it could be aliens, helping our race develop by shaping us, as the Vorlons did in B5.

Yeah, Scientology. Lets believe in a religion run by a Sci-Fi writter and then John Travolta.
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man

No I wasn't refering to that. I was refering to the fact that you seem to limit your control to yourself. I'm sure you could be a god over lots of people if you worked hard and applied yourself. No reason to believe you couldn't. Therefore, defeatist.

Yes, I know, obscure and badly explained, but....meh.

Its called being  responsible, a concept alien to you i believe.
Got Ether?

Offline TheCelestialOne

...No reason to believe you couldn't...

There is because I believe that everyone is in control of his or her destiny. That is why I don't try and don't even WANT to control others.
"I also like to stomp my enemies, incite rebellions, start the occasional war, and spend lazy hours preening my battle aura."

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Its called being  responsible, a concept alien to you i believe.

It's not alien, I just don't care for it. Why be responsible for others when you can dominate them?

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
There is because I believe that everyone is in control of his or her destiny. That is why I don't try and don't even WANT to control others.

Ah, ideological pacifist.

http://www.dictionary.com

Offline Zeronet

• Hanger Man
Consider my discussion with you null and void. Simply no point in continuing it and i shall take the advice of our Irish Admin.
Got Ether?

Offline TheCelestialOne

It's not alien, I just don't care for it. Why be responsible for others when you can dominate them?

Dominate sounds tiranish and I do NOT want to be a tiran.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Consider my discussion with you null and void. Simply no point in continuing it and i shall take the advice of our Irish Admin.

Okay.

What advice?

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
I don't believe in any kind of higher power. When you die, you die - which is why it's so important to make good the opportunity you have at life. You don't get a chance to review it, play it over, or watch what goes on afterwards. Your body and mind are your most important possessions.

Now I know that sounds annoying and new-agey, but I don't believe in any of the new-age 'energy' stuff either. :blah:

Basically my opposition to religion - and I'm talking organised religion here - stems from the fact that any mass religion has a 'manifesto' of sorts. Eventually that becomes dogma, and different interpretations and views are frowned upon. This dogma can have dire consequences for people, communities, etc. Furthermore, it leads to the religious wars that are all too familiar to us.

Case in point: contraception. Although using it would lead to a reduction in AIDS deaths and other STD illnesses, the Catholic Church opposes it because it was decided, long ago that contraception was ungodly as it was deliberately designed to stop children being born. However, now it sentences far more people to death than would otherwise be the case.

Organised religion is inherently stagnant - or else what would one organise around? As a result, it doesn't reflect the prevailing needs or attitudes of the public.

To a lesser extent, religion has been corrupted over the years and no longer necessarily serves the interest of the people. It was once, for example forbidden by the Christian Church to lend money at interest. However, this is now commonplace and individuals and firms make money from others who may not necessarily be able to pay.

Anyway, those are just a couple of examples. I've already written far too much, so I will have to say goodbye. :wink:

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Dominate sounds tiranish and I do NOT want to be a tiran.

Pfff. If your a tyrant at least you can make sure things follow some kind of direction, even if it is purely for your own benefit. God (jewish/christian) just sits back and lets things happen. What's the point in that? Create a whole universe and just let it run till everything in it gets wiped out by either another inhabitant or some flaw in there biology.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Forget the Irish, take my advice.

Drop it.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
Originally posted by Kellan
I don't believe in any kind of higher power. When you die, you die - which is why it's so important to make good the opportunity you have at life. You don't get a chance to review it, play it over, or watch what goes on afterwards. Your body and mind are your most important possessions.

No, you don't believe that. If you did you'd also realise that life, by it's very nature, is pointless. You live your life and you make a difference, you're remembered. SO what? What good does that do you? Anyway, eventually you'll be forgotten or your memory will be lost when the human race takes on someone too powerful. Depressing but true.

I'm done.

Offline TheCelestialOne

Pfff. If your a tyrant at least you can make sure things follow some kind of direction, even if it is purely for your own benefit. God (jewish/christian) just sits back and lets things happen. What's the point in that? Create a whole universe and just let it run till everything in it gets wiped out by either another inhabitant or some flaw in there biology.

It was a good discussion and though I do not agree I see your point. I hope there will be no hard feelings but if we would continue it would go on forever.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter

It was a good discussion and though I do not agree I see your point. I hope there will be no hard feelings but if we would continue it would go on forever.

True.

*goes to look for 'Arguing on the internet.....' picture*

Offline Kellan

• Down with pansy elves!
    • http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater
Well, exactly.

The only point in bothering is making life better for everyone. That way you will be remembered.