Author Topic: First Mission Problems  (Read 3618 times)

First Mission Problems
Hey everyone.  I tried playing the first mission, but all the weapons in the loadout menu are at 0, thus I have no weapons.  Which I bet makes the mission pretty hard.  When I checked the ship selection screen, it seemed a little wonky as well (ie, there are no ships in the left hand corner nor are their ship pictures where my alpha wing should be).

I'll be honest, I've never played the original FS so I'm not exactly sure what everything should look like.

Here's some info that will hopefully help you:  I'm running a mac on OS X 10.4.9.  I am running the open source game and using the FS2_Open OS X Launcher to install the mods.  I do not have any other mods installed.  I have these files currently in the folder FSport: fsport-hi_res.vp, fsport-missions.vp, fsport3_0_4.vp, sparky_hi_fs1.vp, stu_fs1.vp, and tango_fs1.vp.  I'll be honest, I do not know much about installing mods, and I just went with what I read/tried to understand from various sources.  I do know that at least some of the conversion worked because the startup screen and the menu screen are different from the regular FS2 game.  I do get a mission report that seems to be in-line with the game, though again, I can't guarantee that.

I think that's about it.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And of course, thanks for making this conversion.

Offline Dysko

Re: First Mission Problems
Have you selected the FS1 campaign in the campaign screen?
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Is FSPort even compatible with Mac OSX? Or is that just my puny knowledge of the Macintosh talking?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
The only thing to worry about compatibility is the FSO engine and (optionally) Launcher.  The rest of it is just data for the FS engine to process.  So, any mod should be compatible with whatever the engine is compatible with.  So, yes, FSPort is compatible with Mac OSX.

EDIT:  Try making a new pilot file?  Sometimes that works.  Esp. if you were already started on another campaign.  Until we get a new pilot code, it's best to have different pilots for different Mods.

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
Is FSPort even compatible with Mac OSX? Or is that just my puny knowledge of the Macintosh talking?

Yep. Works great! No problems. MacOS X 10.4.9 PPC & Intel  :D

in my fsport directory is

fsport-fs1_training.vp
fsport-glow.vp
fsport-hi_res.vp
fsport-missions.vp
fsport-shine.vp
fsport3_0_4.vp
sparky_hi_fs1.vp
stu_fs1.vp
tango_fs1.vp
warble_fs1.vp

all from http://fsport.hard-light.net/website/

The new pilot did the trick.  Thanks again to all of you for your very timely help.

:welcome:
Welcome to the Hard Light Productions Bulletin Board, MacFodder!
I know the whole welcome thing took a beating lately, but nobody took the coutesy to welcome this guy after trying to help him?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
I prolly would have eventually gotten around to it.  :D

Offline ftuquan

Just a note.

I have a MacBook Pro Rev A 2GB RAM. Mac OS X Tiger latest version. We Mac users don't have much choice in terms of graphic drivers. We just use Open GL which is at the core of OS X, or so we get told.

Anyway, I installed FS2_Open using Turey's installer. I've been enjoying Freespace 2 so far. Just passed the Traitor/Snipes missions, and  seems OK.

And then someone told me I should probably try the Freespace 1 port first, so as to understand the story. I installed the Freespace 1 port files using Turey's installer. No errors detected.

I have the same problem as the initial poster. Can't see any ship. The textures of the decorative star background are also really blocky. As is the "sun". The "sun" disappears into a square black box at the edge of the screen when I rotate my space ship away from it too. It reverts back to the "sun" when I point my ship at it.

The HUD also shows a blank green square when the invisible ship is selected.

This happens on the first combat mission, and the tutorial.

To clarify, some of the ships in Freespace 2 were also doing this. I didn't see if they were actually invisible, but the "green HUD" thing has happened before, obviously not enough to affect gameplay too much.

My uninformed impression is that "this has something to do with textures".

To backtrack a bit:
I chose fsport mod in the FS2_Open_Launcher (which sets my command-line arguments via a GUI).
After FS2_Open launches, I choose my pilot, and then went to "choose campaign" and chose "Freespace". The other options were "Freespace 2" and "Silent Threat".

Unlike the original poster, starting a new pilot hasn't made a difference.

Mantis seems to be down, so I haven't seen if there are useful answers there.

My files in /Applications/Games/Freespace2/fsport are:
warble_fs1.vp
tango_fs1.vp
stu_fs1.vp
sparky_hi_fs1.vp
readme.txt
mod.ini
fsport3_0_4.vp
fsport-shine.vp
fsport-hi_res.vp
fsport-glow.vp
fsport-missions.vp
fsport-fs1_training.vp
FS1OGGcutscenepack.vp

I launch FS2_Open 3.6.9 using FS2_Open_Launcher 2.0.1. The command arguments that have resulted from my box-ticking are:
spec
glow
env
jpgtga (tried without)
nomotiondebris
2d_poof
missile_lighting
ambient_factor 75.00
3dwarp
warp_flash
img2dds
cache_bitmaps
fov 0.39
dualscanlines
targetinfo
orbradar
rearm_timer
ballistic_gauge
snd_preload
alpha_env (tried without)
mod fsport

This is at 1024x768 32bits with no texture filter or anistropic filtering

Just to clarify: this is not a complaint. Getting to play FS2 (which I own for the PC) after all these years is great. And to be able to play FS1 (which I don't own) is a bonus++.

Thanks

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, for starters, disable img2dds, that wreaks havoc with a lot of effects.

At least, it did on my setup. Not sure if it would do that on yours.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta