Author Topic: Ship names  (Read 9718 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Well adjectives IMO only work for Terran ships. GTD Impervious goes well, but GVD Impervious does not IMO. There's a corvette in MT called the GVCv Dauntless, which I didn't like really. Better Terran names are Greek gods, but anything really works for them.

For Shivan ship names I have really obscure Hindu gods such as Jagghadatri for cruisers or corvettes, but less weird sounding ones for (key) destroyers such as Īśāna. Key ships such as a hive ship or installation would be named things like ईश्वर (Ishvara).

Stupid names would be something like GTD Jamie or GTD Mikey. THOSE names make me cringe. Badly.

Here are a few that might be decent:

Rukifellth
Bulzeeb
Zoniha

Taken from, of all places, the Bomberman series. They are just slightly garbled versions of pre-existing deities. (Bulzeeb came from Beelzebub, for instance.)

Any Engrish works. :P

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Stupid names would be something like GTD Jamie or GTD Mikey. THOSE names make me cringe. Badly.

We all agree. The point is that names token from Tolkien works should be accepted since they have been elaborated well.

If you hate the films inspired by LOTR you are not to be blamed, but The Prof. wrote many other stories...

The film wasn't directed by him and you can't imagine how JRRT condemned people that misunderstood his works. I bet that he would have blamed Peter Jackson a lot.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Good names are names that have their stem in Tolkien. Not taken directly from it.

SD Balrog, SD Gothmog, SJ Morgoth, SC Ungoliant, SC Snaga, SC Azog

SD Balrog, for instance, is taken directly from the series. However, things like Aeglos or Nareos, though it is from the Elvish language, work since they sound cool and don't bring back images of LOTR. Morgoth is a good name cause it sounds cool, but some people who have read the Silmarillion may remember it and think of it in a bad light.

My two cents.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Aeglos was a weapon while Nareos is a word formed by TrashMan...means "fire" and something...

Morgoth is equal to Sathanas since it means "Enemy", but in addition Morgoth reminds the black colour(mor-). It looks cool, yeah, but it's mentioned also in LOTR.

In the film, Gandalf talked about the Balrog as "Demon of Morgoth"...many people that watched the film could remember this name.

In the book Morgoth is mentioned more than once(in the appendice).

Ah, you may use Melkor too. It's similar Lucifer. Or you may wish to use Valarauko, the High Elvish for Balrog.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
You should make a new corvette, the gtcv asshole. It's a ship with mostly antifighter weaponry, and all of the capship weaponry is subsystem damaging ****, and emp based ****. So it wouldn't be destroying capships, it'd just be piling on through doing some major disarming of the enemy fleet and leave. It'd be one asshole of a ship given that it'd have some serious overbalancing issues.

Then there's the ntf pussy (iceni). It's always running away.

And then the gtva baseball bat (colossus). On several missions it swings for home runs with you as the ball.

The sj idontcovermyass (sathanas). Yeah like the only ship in the game that doesn't cover its ass end at all.

Some ship names are great, you can really name them whatever you want. Of course not this blatantly obvious, but rather cool sounding going for the ships reputation.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wouldn't call a ship, for instance, something well known like SD Vader. ><

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Fantasy works and fantascientific films are completely different.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
I wouldn't call it the GTCv Frodo or something well known. If it's obscure, then fine, use it, but if it's well known then don't.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Taking names from Tolkien makes me cringe.

(Or laugh, GTC Gandalf the Grey)

Really?  I tend to vomit.

Offline wtf_cl0vvn

• Kiubo.
Never thought about this, but names of old generals works too...

remember the GTD Eisenhower? famously destroyed by the first Typhon at the Vega Engagement? (tech room if ya dont)

i guess GTD Montgomery would work...as would GTD Patton (probably GTC would be better).

Hannibal, Scipio, Burgoyne, Yamato (well admiral in this case)...etc.

Also look up names of old ships. some of the names work well for cruisers.

As another alternative, use names of characters from FS1 or if it's in the future, FS2.

Khafre, Petrarch, Wolf, Shima...maybe some squadron leader names. Loukakis, Samsa...

Thaire's 'aplenny uh naymes out thaire, son...juss gotta look fohr 'em [/Texan]
This book is a mirror. When a monkey looks in, no apostle looks out. -Lichtenberg

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
GTD Mobius. <---Squadron Leader, so?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Too bad it can't be SH Snail... :sigh:

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
I wouldn't call it the GTCv Frodo or something well known. If it's obscure, then fine, use it, but if it's well known then don't.

LMFAO. Good job you didn't snail, apparently you haven't watched this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QAlt4Sfl7Q

After watching this i'd rather call a ship the sj pussyburrower. Then the gtcv frodo would all be trying to get up with that :lol:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2007, 09:18:16 am by S-99 »
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:wakka:

WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT!!?? "Gimleiyy!" :lol:

Well the SSSJ Snail (Shivan Super Super Juggernaut) is the sistership to the Gargant, with more weaponry but less armor. The Snail usually jumps in and wipes out all the opposition, then the Gargant comes in to hold the position from any counter-attacks while the Snail goes forward ahead blowing up another position, etc.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Yeah, gtcv frodo don't cut it. Anyway, idk who created that well done voice over, but the gandof laugh is priceless. Then gimley comes in with that little shriek noise. Legolus obviously finds the steamy hobbit on hobbit action very tasty. But, my favorite part is when aragorn comes in, "Yeeeeeaaaaaaaahhh?".
Lol, it was so well done, i ripped gandof laughing and aragorn saying yeah just for my answering machine. Now everyone calls up and hears aragorn, then microsoft sam(of which i did my best to make sam sound like kim jung ill from team america), then gandof laughing, then gandof laughing backwards(which sounds a lot like timmy from south park). I'm not joking, that's my answering machine message, it's 25 seconds long, and it confuses the **** out of people. I've still got it too, maybe i'll post it online sometime.

SMBFD

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
GTD Mobius. <---Squadron Leader, so?
Ace Combat 4?
Yeah, gtcv frodo don't cut it. Anyway, idk who created that well done voice over, but the gandof laugh is priceless. Then gimley comes in with that little shriek noise. Legolus obviously finds the steamy hobbit on hobbit action very tasty. But, my favorite part is when aragorn comes in, "Yeeeeeaaaaaaaahhh?".
Lol, it was so well done, i ripped gandof laughing and aragorn saying yeah just for my answering machine. Now everyone calls up and hears aragorn, then microsoft sam(of which i did my best to make sam sound like kim jung ill from team america), then gandof laughing, then gandof laughing backwards(which sounds a lot like timmy from south park). I'm not joking, that's my answering machine message, it's 25 seconds long, and it confuses the **** out of people. I've still got it too, maybe i'll post it online sometime.
Yeah...you should... :lol:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Snail

• SC 5
It was a whimper saying Gimli, but it sounded like 'Gimleiyy'! :lol:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Ah yeah <_<
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
Hmmm yeah, what's a good file storage service? I use to know one, but i don't remember anymore. It's not a very big thing i need to host(the answering machine). :)

SMBFD