Which Beam Sizing do you Prefere?

The old, retail sizing
20 (20.6%)
The new, Hades sizing
43 (44.3%)
Mixed reaction
34 (35.1%)

Total Members Voted: 97

Author Topic: Beam Sizing  (Read 20246 times)

Offline Hades

• FINISHING MODELS IS OVERRATED
  • i wonder when my polycounts will exceed my iq
EDIT: Please see THIS POST before Voting!

Sup. Just as the poll and title suggest, and I'll post pictures for reference, as any released version of mine are outdated.
Retail-sizing
Sgreen:

Bgreen:

TerSlash:

lTerSlash:

Sizing for all races is pretty much the same.

Hades-Sizing
Sgreen:

bgreen:

Terslash:

lterslash:

vslash:

bvas:

lred:

(from Lucifer)

sred:

I'll need to try and get/find pictures for each beam on each size.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 09:55:01 pm by Zacam »
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
[22:29] <RangerKarl|AtWork> "you look like a big tasty muffin"
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline sigtau

• unfortunate technical art assclown
I hear so many complains about the resizes, and I say they ('they' being the new beams you have here) ought to be retained.  The resizes look fine, Hades. :thumbsup:
Who uses forum signatures anymore?

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
I like everything except the BGreen, which looks fine under the regular settings IMO. Bigass hoking inefficient beam it was.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Qent

I prefer Retail size for two reasons: First, big beamz are awsum no matter how ridiculous (lol Lilith). Second, it is better for visual compatibility with mods that assume Retail sizes.

Still, nice work, it looks great. :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I think you went a little too far shrinking the glows, but I can bear it.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Hades

A little reminder, can people actually vote in the polls too? They're there for a reason. :P

I think you went a little too far shrinking the glows, but I can bear it.
Well, it was meant for the beam to flow out from the glow, instead of the glow looking, well, irrelevant to the beam as it did in previous mvp versions.
[22:29] <sigtau> Hello, #hard-light?  I'm trying to tell a girl she looks really good for someone who doesn't exercise.  How do I word that non-offensively?
----
<batwota> wouldn’t that mean that it’s prepared to kiss your ass if you flank it :p
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
A applaud this. It always seemed strange that the LTerSlash looked quite similar to the TerSlash.

Offline bigchunk1

• bigchunk1 = Awesome²
  • ...and by awesome I mean Jerk!
This is just my straight up opinion, but certain large ship beams as well as slash beams ought to maintain their retail size.

The way freespace2 was, capital ships had a feeling about being large, and when you were in a battle you were part of something important. The size of the capship beams (corvette and up) were meant to dwarf your fighter and make you feel small. 'Let the warships do their job, you do yours' kind of a feel. I think this kind of feeling is important, and part of what sets freespace2 appart from freespace1 or, say the Descent series.

Particularly for slash beams, they make wild swipes at their target which cause damage to a large area of a target ship. With retail sized beams you have an impression of this effect as the massive stream of plasma dances along its destructive path. This sort of attack used to instill fear in me when I was in middle school, when I played the fs2 mission 'The great Hunt' for the first time.

When playing the fs2 campaign with these updated mediavps, you can really see the difference. Missions such as: 'surrender belisarius', 'feint... parry... respite...', 'High Noon', and 'Their Finest Hour' all have their most dramatic moments augmented.

The new mediavp widths are an interesting change, putting an emphasis on precision and density, but from the perspective of someone who more or less grew up to this game, they have a very unfreespace like feel to them. I advise restoring retail beam widths or at least an update which compromises by restoring the beam widths of larger vessels. I am currently experimenting with potentially new table values that do the ladder.

Lastly, respect to Hades for posting this topic and being open to opinions about his work.
BP Multi
The Antagonist
Zacam: Uh. No, using an effect is okay. But you are literally using the TECHROOM ani as the weapon effect.

Offline Kolgena

I have to agree that the beam glows need to be bigger. It's decidedly freespacy to have a giant glob of energy being channeled into a smaller-sized beam. It's a little strange (almost looks uprooted) to have cores almost the same width as the beam. Part of it also has to do with the fact that bigger beam glows almost suggest a lens flare/corona-like effect, where everything white is not all plasma, but a lighting "effect".

Vasudan beams seemed to have gotten bigger. Whether or not that's true, they look good in the resizes.

Personally, I think terslash, bgreen, and bred need to be thicker, so I do look forward to what bigchunk comes up with. That's just me though. Sgreen and lterslash are _massive_ improvements.

Offline Hades

Actually, all beams got smaller, even the Vasudan ones. Also bigchunk1, I've been playing both games since I was six, just by the way.
----
<batwota> wow
<batwota> KILL

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
IMNHO, Sgreen looks better in Hades' version, but, for instance, TerSlash looks better in retail scaling. Every beam should be treated individually.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

I prefer the retail sizes,  the beams seem too small not only for their damage, but especially their sound implies something somewhat more impressive looking. If you wanted different sized beams a simple table edit would suffice.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
BGreen and BFRed, most likely also other "B" and larger beams should stay closer to "retail" size. Slashers should be shrunk, but not as much.
Also, I have a feeling that 3.6.10 Mediavps sized the beams up from real retail size, due to new bitmaps.
I think that on every beam, it should be attempted to bring it close to retail "feeling".

Offline Angelus

• The Angriest Angel
Hades sizing.

Offline Kolgena

There should probably be a third voting option, which is "Conditional (See my post)", rather than just all or nothing.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Retail sizing. Definitely. No discussion possible. Not gonna enter the troll feeding any more than that.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Rodo has voted.
el hombre vicio...

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Retail sizing, maybe a little bit smaller. Hades' beams are too small in my opinion. Looks weak, especialy strong beams like BFRed or BGreen.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Lester

Retail sizing except for the SGreen. That thing looks plain stupid.

they've been fine for years, leave em be.

*edit for clarity

Since posting on topic is confusing for some people. The beams don't need to be altered. I've enjoyed them the way they are for many years. The proposed size of beams will take away prosepctive and not add to the game in a postive manner.

In other words:

they've been fine for years, leave em be.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 10:34:40 am by Vertigo 7 »