Author Topic: WMCoolmon gets bored and writes a story  (Read 4184 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
WMCoolmon gets bored and writes a story
Well, okay, not bored, but I figured it would be interesting to write up a set of stages of the SCP (At least, how I viewed them :p)

0. The pre-SCP stage
The pre-SCP era was categorized by a general emphasis on modding and FREDding. Topics of the day included table editing (which was scary and magical), low-poly modeling (Which was indeed low poly), and clever FREDding (and maybe a little mission file editing). People weren't quite over FRED tips and tricks of the day, and the campaigns tended to emphasize hacking over features usage (Because, of course, there were no SCP features to use).

1. The Early Release stage - April 24, 2002
Immediately following the release of the source code, things were fragmented. Something like a half-dozen different builds popped up. People would advertise things like "Bumped ship limits" and "feature XXX". SEXPs were the most likely candidates for source code additions, and of course daveb wrote a whole guide on that. The only guide, to my knowledge, that anyone who was a member of the original FS2 dev team has written on the source code.

As an interesting side note, just prior to the release of the source code, Kazan was trying to rustle some people up for a "Freespace Forever" team. This was basically a project to make a new Freespace engine. Of course there are some interesting comments with regards to this, like 'It should run with 8MB of video card RAM, because Freespace 2 was only released a few years ago and most people don't want to upgrade".

It should be noted that Bri Dog has the dubious honor of being the first person in recorded HLP history to mention "Geomod" with regard to the source. The thread is appropriately miscapitalized.

Some fun threads on:
Nobody wanted to work on the SCP
Soure Code management
Code posting
Code standards
(Please don't bump these threads. They're all a few years old.)

2. The SCP formation stage
The turnaround: the first developer meeting. At least, that's how I remember it. At this point, the SCP as you know it was born. Well, it actually had a pretty good page at VW, and taylor was a lot less active at this point, but it was mostly the same, anyway.

The style of additions was markedly different. RT upgraded everything to DX8, Bobb implemented glow and shine mapping and all sorts of bizarre random things. Basically, this era was notably marked by a bunch of feature upgrades with little to no concern or discussion over the long term impacts. Surprisingly, they also worked out really, really, well.

The MediaVPs were formed during this period, and were initially just a zip full of glowmaps that you extracted to your data directory. :p Originally it was just the "mediapack".

Things like backwards compatibility had their roots set in this time period. Mantis came in during this time period, IIRC, but only got serious usage in...

3. The Middle Ages
At this point we started seeing the emergence of fs2_open for Linux, and features began being less of a flak-style and more of a beam-style barrage. Perhaps this would better be called "The Industrial Age", because bugs were starting to really catch up. However the focus on bugs only came during the later period.

During the majority of the middle ages, things like mod support, the Launcher, modular tables, finalized spec/env mapping, and OpenGL came to light. By this time, most limits had already been bumped, but towards the latter end of the middle ages, quite a few of these had been bumped a lot.

A number of the famous SEXPs were made during this time, though admittedly they may be the most famous because they've been around the longest. A lot of command lines started to show up.

Fs2NetD was pioneered by Kazan during this time. UnknownPlayer and DTP largely dropped out of active development. DaveB appeared, and then disappeared, prompting the short-lived implementation of shadows.

Tom released his oft-used Tom's Build, which continued to haunt many SCP developers well into the later part of the later stages.

4. The Later Stages
By this point, most everything major had been implemented in some way or another. So what followed was primarily improvements and tweaks upon existing code, and a great deal of bugfixes. By this point, the MediaVPs had been split up into multiple VP files because they had gotten quite fat. Campaigns were starting to become 'SCP only'. OS X support was added, and the player files were upgraded to allow for transparent mod switching (more or less). Multiple docking was interested.

Towards the later end of this period, bugfixing became an obsession and CVS was split into two branches; the stable and unstable branches. This eventually succeeded in fixing the problem with bugs that had been around since the early stages of the SCP. Fs2NetD was revised by taylor, and MatthewPapa began hosting the server, becoming a major player in the FS2 community. Rampant feature implementation went out of style, thanks to disillusionment from so many features going unused by mission makers and modders.

Additional short-term open source developers also started popping up, and eventually some decided to stick around and work on crossplatform alternatives of their own.

The Babylon Project, the most distinctive released Total Conversion, moved firmly in the direction of the SCP, firmly cementing FS2_Open over retail FS2.

5. The Rebirth, aka the present
With the release of 3.6.9 came another significant event; the release of the BtRL demo, the first total conversion designed from the start with the SCP in mind, and also quite possibly representing the largest chunk of released creative media in the history of Freespace 2. (BtRL updated virtually all of the 2D interface, while most mods had shied away from this feat; BtRL also shipped with complete voice acting and new music. I don't think that even TBP has done this yet)

In the months leading up to its release, BtRL began to have more and more of an impact on SCP development. With its basically unprecedented level of popularity (for a FS2-based campaign), BtRL has attracted a number of coders. As a result of both this, and the several years between now and the original release of Freespace 2, the trend for the SCP seems to be to focus on Total Conversion-focused features and development.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 06:12:12 am by WMCoolmon »
-C

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Re: WMCoolmon gets bored and writes a story
The original source code release on 3D Downloads:
http://www.3ddownloads.com/?file_id=159652
-C

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Eeenteresting.

I've always been a fan of history. :D

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
BtRL also shipped with complete voice acting and new music. I don't think that even TBP has done this yet)
TBP Minbari War Demo came with new music and voice package. Including all annoying command and pilot random screaming and telling you the obvious automatic messages...
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ahh, this brings back memories from the age when most additions were in the SEXP departement. I vividly remember the thread where Bob posted first screens of glowing Shivans (read: first glowmapping implementation)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
I vividly remember the thread where Bob posted first screens of glowing Shivans (read: first glowmapping implementation)
And I vividly remember wondering "WTF that's all you can do?" (Read: user of 3dfx already saw glowing Shivans :P )
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Neato! I've always wondered about the early stages of the SCP.

Offline Roanoke

You forgot to mention HTL and the rush to High Poly everything. Otherwise pretty cool. Sticky ?

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Very nicely done.  I'm surprised to learn that I stumbled across this place all the way back in the Middle Ages, since I remember seeing Bobb's stencil shadow build released, as well as Tom's build.  I also remember the days when Taylor's builds seemed like a godsend, since the "official" releases usually had some truly amazing show-stopping CTD bugs as a matter of course. :p It's interesting to see how the project started up in the first place; that's something I've been curious about for a while.  One omission that I do want to point out is that of the WCS demo, which was released before BtRL and also included the wholly-redesigned interface.  Other than that, good stuff. :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Stencil shadow build?

Offline Vretsu

Nothing about the apocolyptic memory leaking bug and the resulting code freeze?  :p

Offline jr2

• The Mail Man
  • It's prounounced jayartoo 0x6A7232
    • Steam
Cool.

Offline Roanoke

Stencil shadow build?

Something on daveb's wishlist. Imagine a Ravana casting a shawow over a Deimos as they pass one another. 

Offline Snail

• SC 5
What happened to it? I take it that it had a rape load of bugs?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
It was before I found the community, but from what I can gather it was a horrible performance hog or somesuch.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
It was before I found the community, but from what I can gather it was a horrible performance hog or somesuch.

Especially with all the hi-poly models flying around.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I don't believe that the issue was performance so much as the fact that it was a hacked-together implementation by Bobb as a proof-of-concept.  It was unoptimized, it was buggy, and it didn't play nice with the rest of the codebase; in other words, it was never meant to be a permanent fixture as it was written.  All of that being said, it did give us plenty of jaw-dropping screenshots. :)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
All of that being said, it did give us plenty of jaw-dropping screenshots. :)

Such as?

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Nice post, although it makes me feel old now. :(

the campaigns tended to emphasize hacking over features usage

This is still true to some degree, at least in the case of mine. :D

Offline Roanoke

here's daveb's post regarding stencil shadows:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,25567.msg512096.html#msg512096