Author Topic: Let's play... X-Com: UFO Defense  (Read 25237 times)

Offline Shade

Let's play... X-Com: UFO Defense
After having read and participated in the Scariest gaming monsters thread, I got an irresistable urge to replay a game that had me scared witless during many long nights of alien hunting. That's right, it's X-Com: UFO Defense. Or, as it was called here before the X-Com franchise got established, UFO: Enemy Unknown.

And as there are probably many people these days who have never played this gem of the mid-90s, I decided to use my new playthrough to write a Let's Play of the game so those who have never tried it can get some idea what they're missing. This will be mostly text, with images for illustration, so if you tend towards TLDR then this is probably not for you.

So, without further ado, let's play some X-Com: UFO Defense.

Index:

Part 1: Getting Started

Anyone familiar with X-Com (or easily bored) may want to skip the this part, as I do a lot of explaining the basics of managing the starting funds, initial basebuilding and getting your squad set for its first encounter with the alien menace, with only a little action at the end.

I will be starting this game on Superhuman difficulty. As this is the old DOS version played in DOSbox, it has a bug which was never fixed in an official patch which forces Beginner difficulty regardless of your selection, so for that to work, I've used the fan-made XcomUtil (Link) tool to fix the issue and allow Superhuman to work as intended. XcomUtil also fixes a few other problems for the game in Windows Vista/7 via DOSbox, including the gamestopping Black Screen bug, so it is pretty much a necessity now if you want to play the original DOS version.

Besides that, I will be employing two other optional features allowed by XcomUtil. Specifically, I'll be using an option to rearrange the layout of the starting base to something which is remotely defensible, and I will be using the option to automatically, during the tactical mission loadout phase, equip my agents with the gear they used in the last mission, cutting down on time. The latter of those is a convenience change only and has no effect on the actual game, but the improved base layout does make defending against attacks significantly easier during the early game. I will defend this, however, by pointing out the fact that the default base layout is insane and should never have existed in the first place. Make of it what you will.

After choosing the difficulty, this is what you see. The Earth. And it is our job to protect it from the alien scum. To do this, we must first establish our base of operations. There are many options here - X-Com is funded by a number of nations, and they all want us to cover them, but we only get one base to start with. So do you cover a few big sponsors, lots of smaller ones, or somewhere in between? In addition, you will want to give some thought to maximising global radar coverage once you can afford to build more bases. As many as 8 total are allowed, but these are also the -only- places where you can site radars to detect UFOs, so keeping eventual radar overlap to a minimum while making sure as many of the landmasses are covered to as great a degree as possible is a bit tricky. Coverage over water is less important, and can be safely ignored if necessary.

I have chosen to situate my first base on the Crimean peninsula. This gives me radar coverage of all of Europe as well as Egypt, parts of Russia and a smigeon of India and Nigeria. Or rather, it will once I build a large radar system. As you will see in a moment, I start with only a small radar which has a range of 1500nm (that's nautical miles), whereas the large radar system I will be building has a range of 2250nm. I always site bases based on the longest possible detection range, as that is the only way to get decent coverage down the line given the 8-base limit. Other decent starting locations would be North America to cover the USA and Canada, or Eastern Asia to cover China, Japan and parts of Russia.

Here, you can see why I chose to site my first base as I did. Many countries in and around Europe are contributing to my budget, and while none of them can match the contributions of the USA, between them they add up to something like a third of my budget, all covered by a single base. And my interceptors have the range to reach East Asia, North America or the southern parts of Africa in a pinch, should they need to, though their time on station at such ranges will be very short indeed.

Here's my brand-new base. In the top row, you will see my three Hangars, each occupied by a craft - Two Interceptors for air combat, and one Skyranger transport to take my squad wherever they need to go. More about them later. Extending down the left side is the base Access Lift, General Stores, and the Living Quarters, followed by a Laboratory, a Workshop and a Small Radar going off to the right.

This is the improved, defensible layout I mentioned earlier. When the aliens attack a base, they can enter through the Access Lift and any Hangars the base might have, while your own troops are generally concentrated around the living quarters at mission start. As such, with this layout, you know where the aliens will be entering from, and the General Stores make a useful buffer and choke point between the aliens and your own defending troops. I will be improving further on this design later in the game, when money allows.

In the original layout, the two side hangars were at the bottom of the base, and the access lift in the center, meaning that in a base defense mission you would be immediately surrounded as well as having aliens drop down right in the middle of your base. Not good.

Top right you can see an overview of all X-Com bases. We have only the one, currently, but once I start to expand I can use those eight boxes to navigate between them, as well as see an overview of modules: green = completed module, and red = under construction.

Here I have ordered the construction of another general stores, another living quarters and the aforementioned large radar system that will allow me to cover all of Europe and the surrounding area. Last but not least, I'm building an Alien Containment facility, which will keep captured aliens alive until my scientists get around to examining them. Plenty other things I could build, but money is scarce at the start, and nothing more is badly needed at this point.

Worth noting is that base modules can only be built next to an existing module, and all modules must be connected to the access lift. Any modules cut off from the lift, for whatever reason, are destroyed.

My starting squad. You might think eight soldiers isn't a very impressive number for a global organization tasked with defending the Earth against all comers, but just think about what SG-1 managed with a meager four. Speaking of that... we'll need to give these guys some proper alien-fighting names.

And here is the detailed stats screen, which is also where you can edit the name of a soldier. The most important ones are probably time units, firing accuracy and reactions. Sadly, the very most important stat is not visible at this point in the game. These are good starting stats, by the way. In fact, these are utterly fantastic starting stats, and by far the best out of any of my soldiers. Only one name seems appropriate who someone who is likely to be my very most effective anti-alien operative...

Much better.

And here's the rest of them, with names to induce proper fear in any aliens they might come across. I'm likely to lose a number of them during missions, but luckily X-Com keeps a cloning facility on retainer, so I have access to an infinite number of replacement troops... as long as funds last, at any rate. As you may have noticed, I've also hired two more soldiers to bring the total to an even ten.

Those soldiers came from here. This is where all purchases and hiring of new staff is done. Before going to this screen, I went through my stores and sold everything but pistols, rocket launchers, smoke grenades, avalanche launchers for my interceptors and any ammo for the above. Why? Look at the total cost of purchases in this image. I needed to get rid of anything I would not immediately use in order to cover the bill for these essentials:
  • Two more soldiers, the same two you've seen just before, for a total of ten.
  • Twenty more scientists. You start with ten, but that is nowhere near enough. A lab can actually employ fifty, but since my living quarters hold fifty as well and I only have one as yet, which is shared between soldiers, scientists and engineers, this is as many as I can fit until the new one I ordered is finished.
  • Three Avalanche launchers + ammo for my interceptors.
  • Two Tank/Rocket Launchers, plus some HWP Rockets. HWP stands for heavy weapons platform.
  • Some more pistols + ammo
And with that, I'm done.

And nearly broke.

Fortunately, research is free. Well, free except for the salaries for your scientists, but that is paid only at the end of the month so it doesn't concern me just now. I get my lab boffins working on developing laser weapon technology, which makes an excellent upgrade from the pistols I'm currently equipping my squad with. The other options here, medikits and motion scanners, each have their use, but none of them will help me kill the enemy... and those pistols I'm using now won't last more than a month or so before being thoroughly obsolete for everything but improving stats.

My glorious fighting vessels. Here, you can see that each of my interceptors is equipped with two weapon systems, while my skyranger has none. As it happens, the weapons the interceptors start out with are woefully underpowered, and I will be replacing them immediately with the Avalanche launchers I bought before. Additionally, I will load my skyranger with all ten troops, as well as one of the two rocket tanks I bought. The second is here to assist in base defense, and in case I get enough wounded troops to fit it on the transport while they recover. I'm equipping the agents themselves with pistols at the moment, as their high rate of fire coupled with modest damage lends itself well to training two important stats... something my agents definitely need to do now while the aliens are still just getting started.

In addition, the pistol is light, and not everyone in the squad has the strength to lug around heavy weapons yet.

But that will come, in time.

Time does not stand still, though... and the aliens have their own agenda.

While I was waiting for my new purchases and personnel to arrive - something which takes between twenty-four and ninety-six hours for items, and seventy-two hours flat for personnel - the following happened:

A very small UFO has been detected, and now I need to deal with it. If I ignore it, I will lose favour with my sponsor nations, and if I do too badly a couple of months in a row, they will terminate the X-Com project and the aliens will win. We don't want that, so I dispatch an interceptor to deal with it. As you may be able see from the map below the intercept screen, night is falling in Europe at this point. Had it been daylight, I would have let the UFO land and assaulted it without ever going through air combat, but night missions with an unarmoured and underequipped squad are... ill-advised, to say the least, and I try to avoid them where I can.

As it happens, it is actually a stroke of luck that this UFO arrived so early. This is a very small UFO, and if you hit a UFO hard enough, it will be completely destroyed leaving you no crash site to raid for loot. And if this UFO had arrived after my new weapon shipment had arrived, my interceptors would be carrying the heavy Avalanche missile launchers. Now, though, they're equipped with the much less powerful Stingray missile launcher, which is actually capable of downing a UFO this size without dividing all of it into its component atoms.

The above image shows the interception dispatch screen, where you can select any craft from any of your bases across the globe and direct them towards their targets. Of course, we only have the one base at the moment, but it comes in handy later. You may notice that the Skyranger only has five agents aboard. The reason is that the weapons haven't arrived yet, and five pistols plus a few clips from my starting stocks are currently the sum total ground firepower of the almighty, globally sponsored, alien-fighting X-Com organization. Good timing, aliens, I'll give you that.

Even so, it pays to be careful. I select the "Cautious Attack" option and, in another stroke of luck, my interceptor manages to get close enough to actually fire at the thing before the UFO takes note and accelerates beyond the interceptor's ability to follow. Even the very slowest UFO still has a greater top speed than the fastest fighter craft available to X-Com at the beginning of the game, and it is a fairly common occurance for them to just run away if you try to get close enough for short ranged weapons.

During air combat, you can also see a side view of what your interceptor is fighting. This is handy when assessing the threat level of the UFO in question, as there are several types of UFOs in each size bracket, and one medium UFO might be safe to close with while another could blow your fighter to bits. This one, though, is quite harmless.

And there it is. One downed UFO. First blood to X-Com.

In the next part, I'll be doing our very first crash site recovery operation, and after that hopefully manage to get all the stuff I have in transit before anything bigger drops out of the sky to cause havoc.

It may take a little while, though. This was more work that I had expected :p

[Edit] A number of typos fixed. Also a few minor additions.
[Edit] Images lvlshotted.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 07:05:27 am by Shade »
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Let's play... X-Com: UFO Defense
This is awesome (that is all)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
This will be epic.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Shade

Glad you like it so far :) Next installment might be a few days, since the weekend has the audacity to end soon, giving me less time to play. Plus playing while taking screenshots and writing takes a lot longer than just playing :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Haha Yes. I'll keep an eye on this Shade. Good luck.

Offline newman

Heh I made a playthrough of this not 6 months ago, proceeding straight to terror from the deep after it :) I preferred UFO. Aliens work for me better in a classic (not underwater) environment and overall UFO had better fun/difficulty balanced missions. Terror from the deep had a lot of those looooooooooong multipart missions that would just get frustrating after a while. But this gem? One of the best pc games of all time, for me.
So, Shade.. catch us some live ones. We'll hook them in front of a TV playing continuous non-stop Justin Bieber footage. If that doesn't make them talk nothing will...
You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Name the cannon fodder after us on the forums here. It will make reading it so much more fun.

"TrashMan killed himself with a rocket launcher!" :P
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I volunteer to be the guy who friendly-fires everyone. :P
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I am the one who just stands there while 3 sectoids blast away at me
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

I'll be the one who leaves the Skyranger first to catch an armed alien grenade, because we forgot to bring smoke!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I volonteer to be the guy that actually manages to survive and reach a high level...and then dies in a hillarious and utterly stoopid way.

(Many of my JA2 deaths were like that....)
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
I'd quite like to be the guy left alone cowering on the third floor of a building during a night terror mission with one pistol clip, one grenade, surrounded, with two fatal wounds. 30 action points, and a medpack two squares away.........
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline Qent

Who wants to be cannon fodder? I'll be the guy you have to reload for every time I die. :P

Offline Shade

I don't generally use cannon fodder, so you all are going to be disappointed :p I know it's more effective, cost- and time-wise, but it just feels wrong to constantly hire newbies, hand them a pistol and have the veterans tell them "Just move forward until you spot something, there's a good chap. We'll be right behind you". But I'll get into detail about what I do later. Oh, and as it happens I've had some free time today, so I might have the next part ready tonight.

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I'd quite like to be the guy left alone cowering on the third floor of a building during a night terror mission with one pistol clip, one grenade, surrounded, with two fatal wounds. 30 action points, and a medpack two squares away.........

sooo typical,

Who wants to be cannon fodder? I'll be the guy you have to reload for every time I die. :P

This is X-Com even a Commander is expendable though your rookies will brick themselves when it happens.   But if you have your squads set up properly some one else will be promoted to the rank either end of that mission or the first mission after you replace the critical number.

I don't generally use cannon fodder, so you all are going to be disappointed :p I know it's more effective, cost- and time-wise, but it just feels wrong to constantly hire newbies, hand them a pistol and have the veterans tell them "Just move forward until you spot something, there's a good chap. We'll be right behind you". But I'll get into detail about what I do later. Oh, and as it happens I've had some free time today, so I might have the next part ready tonight.

where possible squads of 4 in the early days is a minimum.  I typically go for a skyranger of 10+1 tank cannon in the early days (2 squads of people+a tank to back them up) and race to laser tank with a slight delay to research medkits first, then alien alloy->personal armour.  I also where possible have 2-4 spare soldiers back at base ready to replace the inevitable casualties.
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Qent

This is X-Com even a Commander is expendable though your rookies will brick themselves when it happens.   But if you have your squads set up properly some one else will be promoted to the rank either end of that mission or the first mission after you replace the critical number.
I know; I was referring to save/reload addiction. :P

Offline headdie

• Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
nar you only need to save/load if you loose most of your squad and your tank, as stated below by my style of play i can loose up to half my deployable squad and still not loose a great deal of effectiveness, especially as i try to to rotate the junior members of the team so they all have *some* experience.  sorry Qent, you are expendable.

Offline Shade

I typically go for a skyranger of 10+1 tank cannon in the early days (2 squads of people+a tank to back them up) and race to laser tank with a slight delay to research medkits first, then alien alloy->personal armour.  I also where possible have 2-4 spare soldiers back at base ready to replace the inevitable casualties.

As mentioned in part 1, the 10+1 configuration is my starting choice as well, though with a tank/rocket. Once I can arm them at any rate... in the upcoming first mission I'm using a squad of just five, since I only have weapons for that many. In retrospect, I should probably have kept the starting rifles until my new acquisitions had arrived. Instead of having replacement troops, though, I have a second tank instead. This is mainly in case I catch an early alien retaliation mission, as rocket tanks are pure gold for base defense, but also because the tank is always the first out of the Skyranger, and as such is almost certain to be destroyed at some point. And I don't want to wait another 96 hours for the replacement. That said, I will be grabbing a few extra troops too before too long, but again, that is mostly for base defense. In this case, to make sure I get to fight even if my Skyranger is away from home with my main squad.

Even if you don't use cannon fodder, someone has to be a sacrificial lamb when the
Spoiler:
Chryssalids
start showing up. I can be that guy.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll

Whenever I try to play it without sacrificing rookies, I get wiped out sooner or later, so I'm looking forward to your detailed battle reports :)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea