Author Topic: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep  (Read 36246 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Re: Let's Play... X-COM: Terror From the Deep
Woot!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
What is it with these LP's and the AI's tendency to kill/stun itself? ...lol
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Aliens' throwing accuracy seems to be really poor, and the AI I guess isn't sophisticated enough to throw over/around obstacles. And when they're carrying a stun launcher, I guess the AI just figures that one gun is the same as another, explosives be damned.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.

The AI's "am I going to hurt myself" algorithms take into account only lethal damage as projected from the desired impact point. This means they have absolutely no brakes on when and where they use stun damage, regardless of area of effect. I've seen them fire stun launchers point-blank more than once.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

If its not too late, I volunteer for redshirtting or stun duty if there is any space left on the roster.
And I'm pretty surprised the AI stunning itself wasn't fixed by TFTD, in my UFO Defense playthrough at least 10 alien leaders have stunned themselves with small launchers at some point :/

Got ya, DireWolf. You'll be assigned to Squad 2 (after this update) and to the final assault.

September 2nd : A small sub was shot down, and Triton 1 once again heads out. Standard looking mission, with lots of disruptor bombing, and Ravenholme's Cousin cleaning up with crazy sniper shots.

and

September 6th : Ah, at last. The MC Disruptor is designed, tested, and ready for mass production. The technicians get right on that, making up a batch of 10, plenty for both forces.

Complicated electronics allow a trained soldier to completely overload an alien's MC implant, isolating it from the network, and even taking over the alien's body completely. It's evil fun.

September 8th : Well, the Lobsterman Commander finally cracked and spilled its guts, so to speak. Interrogations have been pretty simple lately. Ever since we figured out how to jam the aliens' MC implants inside the alien containment units, they started to panic and were remarkably easy to coerce into sharing their information. He revealed in full the location of T'leth, and the nature of the leader of the alien forces.

Yyyyep, that's bad. Time is short. The present alien activity is a harbinger of the Great Dreamer's return. Our timeline is going to be as follows:
September 19th, Leviathan 1 comes online. We'll give it a shakedown cruise or two, vs whatever's available.
September 24th, SpardaSon24 gets back on active duty after recovering from his wounds.
October 1st, September's MC training finishes, troops from Eight Samurai transfer to Blue Canary base.
October 3rd, T'leth or bust!

September 8th : Shot down two small subs, one in the Atlantic and one in the Pacific Ocean. Squad 2 out of Eight Samurai easily mops up the Gillmen, and Squad 1 goes after the Lobstermen.

In a shootout with lobsters at the entrance to the enemy sub, Dekker takes a bad shot to the right arm. Dang. That's his shootin' arm. He's going to be, by necessity, laid up in sickbay for at least a month, which means he'll miss the attack on T'leth. EDIT: 47 days until recovery. Ouch.

Gortef takes a minor wound in the chest, but is patched up completely by Ravenholme's Cousin. Unfortunately, and impossibly, jr2 is killed in a freak grenade accident. He tossed one into a small room in the sub, retreated to a safe distance behind a door, but the grenade explosion still killed him.

A thousand curses. Wellp. We saved his brain at least, and by some sort of dark arts, have managed to insert it into the body of one of the seat-fillers of Eight Samurai. The new body's not nearly as cool as the old one, but it should do well enough.

Also, TrashMan was field-promoted to Lieutenant!

September 12th : With the production and deployment of MC Disruptors, we finally get a chance to live-test them on some Gillmen on a downed sub. The psi-ops agents of Squad 2 are z64556, Goober5000, and Lilith.

z64556 isn't able to get a solid hold on the first Gillman, but Goober was able to successfully establish control.

The first alien reveals a second, and Goober5000 takes that one as well.

...which reveals a third. Lilith takes it... and reveals a fourth Gillman. Lilith can't manage to snag that one, so  Gillman #3 just blasts it. This is going to be the easiest sub breach in history.

Clean-up was a piece of cake, and fun, and safe for all (humans) involved!

September 15th : Very Large sub spotted, Dreadnought class. In a pitched battle with Manta 3, it was shot down a few hundred miles off the coast of China. Squad 2 out.

Psi-ops squad captures an Aquatoid technician carrying a disruptor pulse launcher, and uses it to nuke a pair of Hallucinoids. Another carrying a thermal shok launcher is captured, tosses its weapon, and walks into oncoming fire.

The squad spreads out, clearing the area rapidly. Aliens inside the sub are mind-controlled and used to scout and clear further, before stunning themselves or getting shot by other aliens.

Goober and Moloch enter a breach on the bottom floor where one of the craft's engines blew from catastrophic damage. Some Aquatoids in the way were mind controlled, deprived of their weapons, and marched out for Goob to hit with a captured stun launcher.

Lilith drives an unarmed Aquatoid soldier up the lift, to act as decoy and scout on the upper level.

Goober5000 gets the final two Aquatoids on the top level, for a mission very complete.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:40:57 pm by Zacam »

Since we finally have all the tech we need in order to assault T'leth, we can handle the other things that fall by the wayside. Techs that we had only a slim idea of what they did, we can now figure out exactly what they are and how. What I'm saying is, Science Update!

The techniques behind the aquatic species' cloning procedures are remarkably similar to their cousins from the First Alien War, and already well enough understood to be manufactured by humans. It's expensive, but worth it to keep willing and able soldiers such as Angry Mongoose, jr3, SpardaSon24, and Ravenholme's Cousin.

Don't know what to say about these things, but they're certainly good for keeping food fresh for extended periods, and have pretty much replaced Blue Canary's refrigerators.

Pfffft, we've had these since 2025. Most schools nowadays are just federally mandated websites, from which students download lessons directly to their own brains. Unsurprisingly, the single most popular course is Kung-Fu.

Ummmmm... Yeah. Ew.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:42:16 pm by Zacam »

October 1st – A lot of things happened. The Leviathan finished on schedule, and both squads have been training hard. Several enemy subs were sunk and recovered with no fuss.

Everyone's been performing spectacularly, and the psi-ops corps especially have proven their worth 10-fold.

Finally, it's time to end this war. Personnel and necessary equipment has been transferred from Eight Samurai to Blue Canary, we're just waiting for it to come in. Alien activity has been spotted north of The British Isles, but I can't risk tangling with brains at this point in the game. It'll be over soon enough, and no amount of alien activity can stop us.

I let the Artifact Site fester, and disappear.

The transfers arrive ahead of schedule, at 19:30 hours GMT. With some creative assignments, we find space for everyone's equipment, and a pair of Spoonzer Elites. The final squad is:
CommanderDJ – Commander, field commander, rifleman
Polpolion – Lieutenant, second-in-command, rifleman
Ravenholme's Cousin – Able Seaman, rifleman
NGTM-3R – Able Seaman, rifleman
SpardaSon24 – Able Seaman, rifleman
DireWolf – Able Seaman, rifleman
F'n Angry Mongoose – Ensign, rifleman
Lilith – Lieutenant, chief in charge of psi-ops, psi-ops
Scotty – Ensign, pilot, psi-ops
jr3 – Ensign, psi-ops
Gortef – Ensign, co-pilot, psi-ops
Goober5000 – Able Seaman, psi-ops
z64556 – Ensign, psi-ops
TrashMan – Lieutenant, chief in charge of heavy section, heavy section
IronBeer – Able Seaman, heavy section

Assembly in the briefing hall. Dekker stands at the front of the room at a podium, his right arm in a sling, a medic standing by. Everyone is in attendance, and Dekker speaks.

“Well men, and Lilith (how are ya love?), the time has come at last. For the past 9 months, an enemy we never could have fathomed has made war against our planet, and our people. We've fought valiantly, some of you here have perished, but are with us once again.

You've sacrificed so much, so many times, all for Earth. The world leaders have asked me to convey their thanks to you all. As I'm sure you're aware, we have only one final mission on which to embark, and then we can all live in peace once again.

T'leth is the seat of great evil, the ultimate alien. It is the source of the hordes that have plagued us these past months. Our path is simple: board the ancient city, find the Great Dreamer, kill it.

I wish I could go with you, to share in the victory, but my bum arm has got me stuck here. I will be supervising operations through the remote Spoonz-o-cams though, so stay sharp out there.

Bleh. Enough of this stuffy speech rubbish. You've all got your briefing packets, and your kits loaded on the Leviathan. Get outta here. Go now, for Earth!”

The hall erupts in cheers and applause, and the soldiers file out to the armory to don their mag-ion armor for the last time, before heading to the flying sub. Techs and scientists line the corridors, saluting as they pass.

As Scotty guides the Leviathan toward the great city, he notices something alarming.
*ksschhhk* Blue Canary, this is Leviathan 1, come in. We have an issue here.
“This is Dekker, go ahead, Scotty.”
“Um, sir, can you see this on the scopes?”
“Let me see. Hmmmmm. Yes. The city seems to be leaving the ocean floor. How about you hurry?”
“Roger that, sir. Out.” *ksshk*

Scotty tightens his grip on the steering yoke, and turns to Gortef. “Gortef, be a sport and spool up the cannons.”
“Aye, sir!”
As T'leth grows larger and larger on the view screens, the sonic oscillators whump three times. A breach is opened in the side of the city, and Scotty rams the Leviathan through the gap.
“Hey DJ, we're in!”
CommanderDJ yells back, “Yeah, we felt it! Everybody out!”

The door opens, and the Spoonzers blast out into the murky corridor behind. No enemy contacts were seen, not even any signs of them between the Leviathan and the entrance lift. As a team, the squad descends...

Offline Scotty

• 1.21 gigawatts!
  • Guns, guns, guns.
Pilot and psi-ops.  Awwww yeah.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
for king and country. spare no one.

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
4 graet justyz![/microsoft sam]
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Quick everyone! Do fatal damage to a flying city while we're on it!
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline z64555

• Self-proclaimed controls expert
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Ohhhhh man. Psi-ops is going to be SO much fun. That is, if '6 can get a good lock on them.

OH, wait, final battle. Right.  :nervous:

Here goes nuttin!
Secure the Source, Contain the Code, Protect the Project
chief1983

------------
funtapaz: Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Juche.
z64555: s/J/Do
BotenAlfred: <funtapaz> Hunchon University biologists prove mankind is evolving to new, higher form of life, known as Homopithecus Douche.

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Let's kick some ass!

We WILL send the aliens fleeing in terror and self-loathing! Let no inhuman invaders take our home while any of us yet draw breath!

For the fallen! For the lost! For all that still fight!

FOR EARTH!!
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

And now, the exciting conclusion...

OK. It is seriously dark down here.

One of the tanks spots an Aquatoid, and Goober5000 takes control of the alien which is carrying a disrupter launcher, and commands it to fire a torpedo. The torpedo speeds off into the void, and explodes. By chance, it takes another Aquatoid down.

So far, so good. Next turn, three other Aquatoids, all carrying disrupters were spotted, and mind controlled. Commander DJ gives the order to move out, satisfied that the immediate area is secure enough.

One of the scout-toids spots a pair of hallucinoids just chilling, but way too close together. IronBeer breaks 'em up. Explosively.

The decoy system is working perfectly! The enemy launches two disrupter torpedoes. One hits a decoy, one misses and takes out the launcher. It's beautiful.

We're almost to the end of the level, assembling at the exit, when for the first time all mission, TrashMan comes under MC attack. He's taken easily. Since I hadn't been attacked all mission, I had gone ahead and issued Trash's torpedoes to him. Fortunately, the alien crawling around inside his brain decides not to fire at anybody. Everyone who was already at the exit lift, evacuates back down.

CommanderDJ takes Polpolion, NGTM-3R, and Lilith to go track down whatever's causing the trouble.

In a room full of cryogenics tubes, Polpolion spots an Aquatoid carrying a disrupter launcher. Goober5000 mind-controlls it, and blasts the room apart, killing at least one other alien.

Those are the last ones on this level. On to the next!

At least the whole team starts mostly in the same area on this level, it should make keeping us alive a little easier. However, a really weird thing happened when we changed levels. The two disrupter pulse launchers we brought had just totally disappeared, along with all the torpedoes, and at least half of our sonic cannon ammo. We have enough for one clip each, but it's going to be interesting going, and IronBeer and TrashMan are going to have to scavenge something.

Snail-thing!

Mongoose freaked out just a little when Spoonzer Gamma spotted it, but he calmed down pretty quick. Three soldiers line up to take pot-shots, and it returns fire at DireWolf. He's hit, but breathing, and gets patched up quickly.

The snail takes three sonic cannon shots, and is put down by Polpolion.

I thought the first alien turn was going to be uneventful, but nooooooooooo. Bloody brains, messing things up for the rest of us. One turns a blind corner, and zombifies NGTM-3R, but is promptly destroyed by reaction-fire.

There's nothing we can do here, so the squad does the only thing that comes to mind: dropping a grenade on the unconscious brain, and saluting the fallen.

Also, Gortef captured a Lobsterman, which will serve as an advance guard to prevent any further brain-related injuries.

Scotty breaches a door, and gets shot by an Aquatoid with a thermal shok launcher, and they both go down. Could be worse though, much worse. Gortef will be along shortly to administer stims, and IronBeer is on his way to collect the Aquatoid's weapon, so he'll be able to fight back.

The Spoonzers spot a Lobsterman carrying a disrupter launcher, and a Deep One. They're both conscripted into the Let's not anybody else get zombified today corps.

Moving along, Mongoose pops open a door and comes eye to eye with a Lobsterman. Handled easily enough, the corps have a new member.

We pick our way slowly through the maze, and thin out the anti-zombification corps a tiny bit, so that they're easier to manage. The Spoonzers keep getting stuck, and are having to blast holes in walls.

CommanderDJ happens upon... another snail thing. He makes a tactical retreat, and calls for heavy weapons support.

Goober5000 scavenged a disrupter launcher, and should be in position to fire next turn. He is, and he does, turning the area into a rather large escargot broth.

Exit spotted! And a brain! Yay!

Not surprisingly, the brain kills my mind-controlled lobster. Surprisingly, it doesn't zombify it. Either way is fine with me, I have a Spoonzer elite standing guard.

The immediate area fairly secure, everyone makes an end-run to the exit, and arrives unscathed. We take a turn to rest, and head to the third level.

Wellp. Here we are. Let me just save my game... OK. They took away the save function in here. How meta.

Spoonzer Gamma spots a lobster and a snail. IronBeer just nukes the carp out of the snail, and gets at least one Aquatoid in the blast. Bonus!

There were a whole mess of Lobstermen in that first chamber, and we captured most of them forming the spearhead of our decoy cadre.

The cadre also took out a brain and another snail, with disrupters.

We surge forward, faster than ever before, aliens falling like cards before the onslaught. We spot the goal, and everyone rushes toward the center.

Polpolion and CommanderDJ burst into the chamber, and fire away. Polpolion takes out a hallucinoid, DJ hits the first energy pylon. Our soldiers stream in, taking shots, disassembling the core of the great city.

IronBeer fires the final shot, and it's all over.

The Tomb, ravaged and decimated. A bubbling roar comes from the casket in its centre.
"Fools, you will all perissssshhhh...
...none can escape."
A massive explosion erupts from the tomb and rips through the city, debris and smoke fill the air. The plans of the Aliens are foiled...

The twisting hugeness of T'leth begins to rupture. Flames and smoke spew from its gleaming spires and adamantium halls.
The mighty Alien fastness tumbles towards the sea, the screams of tortured metal and souls fills the air. No longer will the Great Dreamer dream of conquering the world.
One final ear-splitting concussion of sound, and T'leth tears itself apart.
The Alien threat is gone, the Earth is cleansed...

A sleepy, blue-green planet, in a distant corner of the galaxy.
The near future, a safe place to be.
The Alien menace to the Earth has been long vanquished.
Vast metropolis-like cities house the teeming billions of humankind.

The deeds of X-COM and the Alien Wars are the stuff of children's stories.
But legends have always had a habit of containing a grain of truth...

THE END.

?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 07:44:15 pm by Zacam »

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
*sniff*
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I am proud to have served alongside you all.

Props to Scourge, this was an excellent LP.
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

On return to HLP-XCOM HQ, our heroes were served a feast of seafood, including some (slightly charred but nonetheless delicious) lobster. Dekker then proceeded to get roaring drunk, made a surprisingly coherent speech about how if another alien threat should show its face, X-Com would be ready and willing to fight them off again (or in Dekker's own words, "**** them up"). He passed out shortly after.

On a more somber note, we must remember the fallen. We salute NGTM-3R for his services to humanity.  o7

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
We salute the fallen and celebrate the victory. That's all that's left to do.

Btw. you don't want to know what I found from that Lobstermans mind when it was in my mindcontrol.
Habeeb it...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Mongoose freaked out just a little when Spoonzer Gamma spotted it
Woo alternate-reality PTSD!