Author Topic: fs2_open.ini, it just ain't there...  (Read 3348 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
fs2_open.ini, it just ain't there...
Quote from: Fs2 open on Linux
Changing Your Resolution

Odds are, you'll want to run fs2_open in a higher resolution than the default 640x480. Unfortunately, we Linux users don't have the swank launcher app that the Windows folks do. Instead, we'll be making a couple line changes to a config file. You will need to run fs2_open once before you can make the necessary changes, otherwise you won't have a configuration directory to work with.

Open up ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini with the text editor of your choice (vi, EMACS, kwrite, gedit). You'll see something like the following...

When I run my newley compiled fs2_open_r, it does not create fs2_open.ini... how do I change my resolution?

Edit

Damn, never mind, it was in my /home directory all the time...
« Last Edit: August 05, 2006, 10:18:03 am by Mars »

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Re: fs2_open.ini, it just ain't there...
If your user account doesn't have write permissions on the fs2_open folder, it will create any new files in your home/fs2_open directory (that includes screenshots, pilot files, etc)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I've been wondering this a while now. Is the Windows registry replacement fs2_open.ini and is it also used in Windows instead of registry?

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I've been wondering this a while now. Is the Windows registry replacement fs2_open.ini and is it also used in Windows instead of registry?
It's not used by Windows now, but it will be for 3.7.  Windows will still use the registry until then.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I guess 3.7 is still long way off. :( At least unified cross-platform compatibility is coming along, which is enough. :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I already have all of the code for it, we have just been holding it off since it's a bigger change than we want for 3.6.9.  It's actually part of a larger cross-platform upgrade to clean out a lot of the Windows only crap that exists in the code.  SDL will be made to work on all platforms, but only as a build option in Windows, and nearly all of the MS-only things which need stubs/defines/typedefs for Linux/OSX will be abstracted to confined portions of platform specific code.  It should make porting and debugging much easier, while also reducing and consolidating the code which is platform specific so that it's easier for general programmers to work with.

Those changes are likely to start happening soon after 3.6.9 goes official, so you'll see it in CVS builds before long.  It just depends on how much time I have available, which hasn't been very much lately.

I have the same problem and the fs2_open.ini doesn't exist anywhere.
I mad one myself in /home/user/fs2_open/ with

Code: [Select]
[Default]
VideocardFs2open=OGL -(1024x768)x32 bit

but i think it is still 640x480.

I use Gentoo Linux and used fs2_open.3.6.9.run file to install it.

edit:
hehe i found the reason, there are 2 folders:
- /home/user/fs2_open/ -> there i have the textures and so on
- /home/user/.fs2_open/ -> there is the .ini file

maybe this helps some guys and could be sticked somewhere
« Last Edit: May 04, 2007, 04:58:41 pm by tassadar2k »

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
A wiki page would be more appropriate, really: http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Fs2_open.ini

Any takers? ;)
-C