Author Topic: FS2_Open OS X Launcher Improvement: Suggestions and Help Thread  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Soulstorm

• You really don't want to know!
    • Soulstorm's Personnal Webspace
Re: FS2_Open OS X Launcher Improvement: Suggestions and Help Thread
The Launcher with Multiple Standalone Mod support is ready, and stable. I haven't updated the CVS, though. I won't until I fix the problems I have with it.
Soulstorm's website -- Articles, Programs, Forums, 3D art, and many more.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As soon as it's ready for testing simply post a link and I'll put something up on the BtRL boards.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Soulstorm

By saying "won't until I fix the problems I have with it" I meant the CVS, not the application. The application is ready, and I would like to have it tested.

Download the latest version here.

Offline Tinman

• Released: WCS mini campaign
Does the launcher support multimod in mod.ini files? I think not? Perhaps it is not working on my Mac?

As i see, the (windows) launcher reads the mod.ini file and adds -mod to the cmdline_fso.cfg

e.g.

[multimod]
secondrylist = FSport,mediavps;

changes the cmdline_fso.cfg to -mod FSport -mod mediavps

am i right?

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It should change it to

-mod FSport,mediavps  not  -mod FSport -mod mediavps

but whether or not it actually supports mod.ini files is something I don't actually know.

Offline Tinman

It should change it to

but whether or not it actually supports mod.ini files is something I don't actually know.

yep, you a right...

if i change it this way in the MacOS X Launcher Mod tab everything works fine. Thanks!

Offline Soulstorm

Well, well, do we have a feature request here? :)

No, I haven't added support for mod.ini files, because I don't know what those files are! Can anyone please post a link to a wiki page or something like that in order to find information on how they work and how can I implement support for them in the Launcher?

Meanwhile, I see that you have found a workaround. Indeed, a command line like "-mod FSport,mediavps" will work. You can just give the value "FSport,mediavps" at the mod field in the launcher.

Offline Turey

• Installer dude
  • The diminutive form of Turambar.
    • FreeSpace Open Installer Homepage
This should help some.
Creator of the FreeSpace Open Installer.
"Calm. The ****. Down." -Taristin
why would an SCP error be considered as news? :wtf: *smacks Cobra*It's a feature.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Both are valid actually.  Any build since the latter half of last year can handle the second case just as easily as the first.  Both styles are converted to the same thing once the cmdline is parsed by the game, so it doesn't really matter which is used.

But, obviously the first style has the historical significance, and it's easier to stack mods with, so it's still the preference for everyone.

Offline Tinman

OK, next problem (i do not know where it starts, but i think it is a fs2_open 3.6.9 bug in MacOS X)

e.g.

Mod Warzone:

i have the same folder structure on a PC and on a Mac:

FS2-
      |- data
      |- mediavps
      |- Warzone
        all the fs2.vps (Root_fs2.vp, ... ,warble_fs2.vp)

identical cmdline_fso.cfg     

MacOS X:

if i select Warzone mod, FS2_open stops with an error, complaining

"Error: Could not load in main hall mask 'MainScreen-M'!

(This error most likely means that you are missing required 1024x768 interface art.)

File: /Users/taylor/src/cvs/fs2_open_3_6_9.final/projects/Xcode/../../code/menuui/mainhallmenu.cpp
Line 1106
"

Windows: 'MainScreen-M' loads without a problem

On MacOS X : If i copy all the fs2.vps (Root_fs2.vp, ... ,warble_fs2.vp) to the Warzone directory everything works fine.

So i think the MacOS X fs2_open 3.6.9 does not add the main Freespace2 directory to its path as described in
http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Command-Line_Reference#-mod

Any suggestions?  :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I can't remember off the top of my head exactly what 3.6.9 was capable of, but I think that it did print out what VPs and paths it was using to the debug log.  So run a debug build and post the top 20-30 lines or so of your ~/FS2_Open/data/fs2_open.log file.  That should tell us whether or not it's finding all of the VPs or not.

Newer builds (basically just my Xt builds on Windows for the moment, but 3.6.10 will do this too) will give more detailed information, including CRC data for VPs.  I'm also changing it so that this sort of information will appear whether you are using a debug or release build, to make things easier on everyone. :)

Offline Tinman

Ooops..! My fault! Mea culpa, mea maxima culpa!

Thanks for the hint to the fs2_open.log file. I forgot that a few weeks ago i "installed" Sol: A History. S:AH is no *.VP but you have to copy all the stuff into the FS2/data/... folders. And from the fs2_open.log file i realized the interface.tbl of S:AH messed everything up.  :mad:

(The weeks in between i worked with Shrouding the Light and FSport were the wrong interface.tbl was not used and so no problem occurred.)

Anyway, thanks a lot for you hint with the fs2_open.log. I already spent about 2 hours to find the problem...  :rolleyes:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's why you never install to FS2/Data. You could have simply created a FS2/STL/Data folder and run using multimod/mod.ini (once supported) and it would have been the same except that it would be left in your Data folder to torpedo other mods :D

This should help some.

My FAQ also has some more detailed explanations on how to use and create a mod.ini file. Including some things that it would be nice to have your launcher support too (A picture for each mod, and a blurb explaining what it's about for one thing).

Both are valid actually.  Any build since the latter half of last year can handle the second case just as easily as the first.  Both styles are converted to the same thing once the cmdline is parsed by the game, so it doesn't really matter which is used.

But, obviously the first style has the historical significance, and it's easier to stack mods with, so it's still the preference for everyone.

Yep. I know FS2_Open can handle both. It's easier on us troubleshooters if everyone uses the same style though. :)

Besides the question was about the launcher's current behaviour anyway. :D

Offline Soulstorm

So, it seems like many people here like the mod.ini approach more than the one used by the Launcher. OK, I'll see what I can do. The way I see it, I'll need to implement support for both ways. I'll try to read some documentation about mod.ini tomorrow, and I'll try to write some lines of code.

It's been a while since I've actually gotten involved with the project, because I am trying to learn OpenGL, and I had some other projects going on for my Uni, but I'll get back on track as soon as I can.

Karajoma, your idea is really nice about the picture for each mod, and the little explanation about the mod. I'll read your FAQ and I will see what I can do.

Oh, and... guys I'm still having problems with the CVS with my account, that's why I haven't submitted anything. If anyone needs the latest source, pm me. The CVS version is stuck on 1.1.1 but the current version is 2.0.1!