Author Topic: PS3 yellow dog  (Read 4387 times)

I am trying to get TBP working but after just downloading TBP3_3a_base.tar.gz and following the directions in the wiki guide I cannot seem to find an executable file in the code Dir.  I have a fs2_open folder and a fs2_open_3_6_9 without executables.  Should I start from scratch?  As anyone else had success in running TBP on the PS3 Yellow Dog?  I am hoping it will be easy to set up since all Ps3 hardware and yellow dogs are the same.

As far as I know, Sony doesn't allow direct access to the 3D-Hardware on the PS3 (well... Not for Linux, I mean).
So that could be a problem...

Thats required?

Well.. That means: No 3D-Acceleration at all!
And FS2_Open with MediaVPs in Software mode? Even on the Cell-Processor this would be SLOW, I think...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
FS2_open doesn't support software rendering. So unless somebody finds a way around the hypervisor, your chances of running fs2_open on your PS3 are zilch.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually it does. Use the -nohtl command line. It will not support the media VPs most likely but it might still work with retail only data.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Say what ?!? IIRC the -nohtl flag switches to the original non-HTL renderer. But retail FS2 didn't support pure software rendering à la FS1. Was that re-activated at some point ?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Well... Since it is linux, the "software renderer" would also be OpenGL... MESA-OpenGL...
So FS2_Open wouldn't care, would it?
It would only see "OpenGL"...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction guys!!!!

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Ah, haven't thought about MESA, but that might work.

Any success PSI-KILLER ?

I am starting from scratch, it did not work.  Where is the 3.6.7 tarball file?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2007, 05:58:36 am by PSI-KILLER »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Say what ?!? IIRC the -nohtl flag switches to the original non-HTL renderer. But retail FS2 didn't support pure software rendering à la FS1. Was that re-activated at some point ?

Yeah you're right there actually. FS2 never supported software-only. My bad :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
FS2 had the same software renderer that FS1 had, though slightly upgraded I'd imagine.  That software renderer has long since been ripped out of FSO though.  And even though you could run OpenGL in software mode, and/or maybe via the frambuffer, you probably wouldn't want to.  The best bet, if hardware access isn't possible, is to code up a new software renderer based on SDL.  You should be able to get a bit more flexibility that way, than just sticking with the existing OpenGL I mean.

I am starting from scratch, it did not work.  Where is the 3.6.7 tarball file?
http://fs2source.warpcore.org/exes/linux/fs2_open-3.6.9.rar.bz2

That's the 3.6.9 tarball obviously.  You can get the 3.6.7 tarball from here if you really want that instead.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
FS2 had the same software renderer that FS1 had, though slightly upgraded I'd imagine.

Yeah but you weren't actually able to select it in the retail launcher (At least it never appeared for me). Strangely the option does appear now but that might be due to me having installed a glide wrapper.

As FS2_open is only mono thread, i don't think that running it on the CELL processor would be a great perf. demo... Even with 3D acceleration ! ;)
My god power aren't a feature already implemented ?!
Erf... I was relying on it ! :'(