Author Topic: FRED 2 Improvements  (Read 8953 times)

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/the158th
make it so that the player doesnt have to be alpha 1 in singleplayer

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by LtNarol
make it so that the player doesnt have to be alpha 1 in singleplayer
Isn't that what I was just talking about? If you ignore the damn error, it works just fine!
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
sorry, just noticed the posts about it above

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
Actually, there is a fairly easy workaround already in FS2 for changing the players designation. First, go into Mission Specs and check "Multi Player". Make wing Beta, with the player ship as Beta 1. Then remove the 'X' from the 'player ship' box and put it in Beta 2's. Then go into Mission Specs and switch it to 'Single Player' and you have Beta 2 as the player. You'll get an error in Fred 2, but it will work in-game.

Yeah, I have done this thing in several of my missions (works for any ships in Alpha, Beta or Gamma) and it works quite well. :) It probably wouldn't take too much work to remove some of the error messages though; one of my missions work fine ingame but loads up four or five errors related to this when opened in FRED2. :p
« Last Edit: April 29, 2002, 07:42:48 pm by 296 »

Originally posted by Grey Wolf 2009
Actually, there is a fairly easy workaround already in FS2 for changing the players designation. First, go into Mission Specs and check "Multi Player". Make wing Beta, with the player ship as Beta 1. Then remove the 'X' from the 'player ship' box and put it in Beta 2's. Then go into Mission Specs and switch it to 'Single Player' and you have Beta 2 as the player. You'll get an error in Fred 2, but it will work in-game.

Still, that's a fairly complicated workaround for something that really should be easy.  Anyway, it still wouldn't allow Delta 2.  I was thinking that new missions could maybe even take place at about the same time and place as the main campaign, just after or before Alpha 1 comes in.
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by NotDefault

Still, that's a fairly complicated workaround for something that really should be easy.  Anyway, it still wouldn't allow Delta 2.  I was thinking that new missions could maybe even take place at about the same time and place as the main campaign, just after or before Alpha 1 comes in.

?

I've flown as Delta 2 in one of DiamondGeezers' missions. :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I think you can fly as other wings as well, but then it doesn't let you select your ship and loadout. :p

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by Rampage
Another change:

Must be capable of letting a ship enter into a docking bay of a ship and later come out with the same name, stats, etc.

A useful trick invented by ZylonBane:  Name one ship Delta 1, and another Delta¤1.  In FS2, both names will look like Delta 1.

How does it work?  ¤ is a high ASCII character, and the FS2 font doesn't support most of the high ASCII characters, but instead shows a blank in their place.  There are quite a number of such unsupported characters (17 that I have bothered to find), so one can have plenty of ships with the "same" name.  High ASCII characters are accessed by holding down the Alt key while typing in any four digit number between 0000 and 0255.  ¤ is Alt+0164, for example, and other options include 0240-0255 inclusive except for 0252 (which makes the arrow used to indicate a selected weapon on the HUD, IIRC).

Have the ship enter the fighterbay, and then have ship¤ emerge afterwards.  To keep the original ship's stats, record them in variables prior to departure, and then use set-subsystem-strength to put ship¤'s subsystems to the values in the variables once it enters the mission.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2002, 08:41:27 pm by 448 »
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline Anaz

ses is a genious! Someone give that man a cookie!
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
It wasn't me, it was ZylonBane.  But I'll still take the cookie.  One of the cream sandwich kind with the dollop of jam in the middle preferred. :D
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline Anaz

Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
It wasn't me, it was ZylonBane.  But I'll still take the cookie.  One of the cream sandwich kind with the dollop of jam in the middle preferred. :D

a 'dollop' :wtf:

ooookay...if you insist...
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
dol-lop (dol'uhp)  n., v. <-loped, -lop-ing>
              n.
                  1.  a lump or blob of some substance.
                  2.  a small amount: a dollop of whipped cream.
              v.t.
                  3.  to dispense in dollops.
             [1565-75; cf. Icel dolpur fat man, Norw (dial.)
             dolp lump]
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
dol-lop (dol'uhp)  n., v. <-loped, -lop-ing>
              n.
                  1.  a lump or blob of some substance.
                  2.  a small amount: a dollop of whipped cream.
              v.t.
                  3.  to dispense in dollops.
             [1565-75; cf. Icel dolpur fat man, Norw (dial.)
             dolp lump]
:lol: is that what you do with your time ses?  read the dictionary? :p

Originally posted by CP5670
I think you can fly as other wings as well, but then it doesn't let you select your ship and loadout. :p

My point exactly :).  I wasn't sure if having the player ship as any number in any wing was possible, but I guess it is... still, it would be nice to have that functionality programmed into FRED2 instead of having to work around what's already there.
"Vasudans and Shivans don't wear clothes coz they told the serpant to go expletive himself. :D" - an0n

:(:(:(

NotDefault

Offline Stunaep

• Thread Necrotech.... we bring the dead to life!
It's possible allright. Did that in a single-mission, and it worked fine.
"Post-counts are like digital penises. That's why I don't like Shrike playing with mine." - an0n
Bah. You're an admin, you've had practice at this spanking business. - Odyssey

Offline Rampage

• Son Of Rampage
  • Urogynaecologist
Originally posted by Stunaep
It's possible allright. Did that in a single-mission, and it worked fine.

So when you get shot down, it will say "Beta 2 collided with his own missile, etc.", not Alpha 1, etc.  Right?

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
Originally posted by LtNarol
:lol: is that what you do with your time ses?  read the dictionary? :p

Click my signature.  Forsooth, 'tis not without justification that my handle is Sesquipedalian.  Were I not studying theology, I'd like as not be in lingustics.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?

Offline LtNarol

• Biased Banshee
Click my signature.  Forsooth, 'tis not without justification that my handle is Sesquipedalian.  Were I not studying theology, I'd like as not be in lingustics.
ok, point taken

Offline EdrickV

• Valued
    • http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers
Originally posted by Rampage

So when you get shot down, it will say "Beta 2 collided with his own missile, etc.", not Alpha 1, etc.  Right?

Have you played FS2 lately? :) It doesn't mention your wing in the death screen. Period. That's what call signs are for. :D
Ground - "Let me help you out, you're clear to taxi any way you can, to any runway you see."

Mesh Gallery/Downloads:
http://members.aol.com/ArisKalzar/Gallery.html
Turreting 101:
http://members.aol.com/EdrickV/FS2/Turreting.html

http://members.aol.com/HunterComputers

Offline Grey Wolf

However, if you die a certain way, you'll get "[callsign] died in a collision with [designation]."
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw