Author Topic: The HTL bandwagon is getting crowded  (Read 26870 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The HTL bandwagon is getting crowded
*hop*

It's obviously not complete, and I'm actually posting this to get general opinions on the change I'm making to the style.  Oh, and first person to name the ship gets a cookie ;)
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

looks nice.......kinda has a beam cannon install, but its the docking bay correct??

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
The docking bay is my addition.  Just big enough to accomodate a pair of Hermes pods, nothing else.  And it doesn't have to be a docking bay, there's nothing stopping me from filling that with windows since it's shielded from most directions.  And that's the dockpoint on the front.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline redmenace

Hipocrates?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Ding!  Cookie for Redmenace!

I'm trying to figure out how to attach the lower pod right now.  The :v: model is one of the worst in terms of actual detail.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
For reference...

Alternatively you could reduce it to an open framework with elevator tubes and occasional intermediate decks. The pods are supposed to be seperate and easily sealed off, anyhow.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I say don't look at the V model hardly at all, it is a crime.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
That's actually precisely what I'm leaning towards (the open lattice with tubes connecting small box-like nodes) though I'm a tad bit worried about the polycount that's going to ential.  At any rate, the front isn't really what worries me at this point, to be honest, as the engineering section is going to be an absolute nightmare.

EDIT: Bob, I'm intending to use the :v: model for spacing only.  All of the geometry is going to be completely reworked, as it does look like ass.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
Does the ship actually, you know, show up in the game? It's been a while, I admit, but I don't remember seeing it, or at least not very often.

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
then you model looks better already.

if you'r worried about small details ramping up the poly count, don't forget about detail boxes.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Originally posted by Rictor
Does the ship actually, you know, show up in the game? It's been a while, I admit, but I don't remember seeing it, or at least not very often.

It's in Dunkerque and Apocalypse at least.  Derelict also uses it once or twice, a bunch of missions in Homesick have them, and I'm sure a number of other campaigns do as well.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Excellent :)

I was hoping you'd pick this one up after you mentioned it on SG - it really has some potential to be a cool High poly job, and it looks like it's getting there already.

One thing I would suggest though is to keep the Nebulon similarities under control - the basic design of the ship is similar certainly, and I'd say someone at [V] had it in mind while this was still in the design phase. But you don't want the final model ending up too much like it - a tip of the hat is good, taking the entire thing off, not so good. Also, it looks a lot more solid than the nebulon in the V model and the concept art - I don't think it would carry over too well if you went for the nodey sort of look.

TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
When in doubt, follow the concept art!

Seriously, when deisgning an HTL model, let your creaticve liscence soar! But be wary the tale of the man who flew too high!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
I'd follow the concept art. Keep the blocky, Terran look, don't be tempted to StarWarsize it.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I'd say... use Aldo's Lost Souls thingie as a "look at" item as you go with it.

It's not the same by a long shot, but it's rather similar and there are a few things they should have in common.

Offline redmenace

That is actually a really good piece of concept art too.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
Don't forget to fix the LOD enteries in ships.tbl!  The Hippocrates has values appropriate to a small fighter, not a cruiser sized vessel.  Makes it annoying subject to pop in....
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I must be missing something here. How does that ship in the first post look anything like a Hippocrates? Or is it only a part of it? :confused:

Offline Anaz

It's only a part. But for the life of me, I can't figure out which one.
Arrr. I'm a pirate.

AotD, DatDB, TVWP, LM. Ph34r.

You WILL go to warpstorm...

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Looks like the bridge, with an added docking tube.
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea