Author Topic: The HTL bandwagon is getting crowded  (Read 26873 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
The HTL bandwagon is getting crowded
The docking tube isn't added, it's just made bigger.  It wasn't tall enough to get one human through, so in the name of sanity I turned it in to a proper docking tube.

Also, since we're refering to that change, I'd like to point out that I can't really find any evidence that :v: intended it to actually be a dockpoint.  Unfortunately that's where the dockpoint actually is, which is one of the main reasons I've had to redesign the front as radically as I have.

And for those of you who can't figure out where this fits in the big picture, you may find these useful:

who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Mock-up time.  I refuse to believe those connecting fins should just be fins, and they are way to small to support habitable space.  So here's a (very primitive) concept of the two ways I'm thinking of addressing it.  The first is a more aggressive treatment, while the second retains the fin but uses it as the backbone for additional room-like structures.  Any thoughts?  Remember, both of these are just mock-ups.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
I like 2 better, 1 just loks weird.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Definately the second as it keeps the original shape.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Maybe something intermediate? Take the thin connecting boxes you have in the first one, and angle them so they follow the edges of the original slope. In other words, connect those larger boxes on the diagonals.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I'm not particularly fond of that actually.  It comes out looking like those couldn't be elevator shafts and corridors.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Hm. Are those boxes even big enough to be rooms?

If so, perhaps just have them connected horizontally to the main elevator shaft for circulation purposes. Then use the diagonal beams and girders only for structural support.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I've actually got a little two-meter-tall block I'm using as a proportionality test.  Those blocks really are too small, but the ones I'm actually considering using are big enough to be two decks tall.  What I think I'm leaning towards is actually a different kind of hybrid; the horizontal connecting bars with the "fin" as a thin structural brace in between everything.  If I end up doing it this way it will be detail-box modeled so that the detail needed on the rooms won't be rendered at medium range.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Re: The HTL bandwagon is getting crowded (Update)
Bumpage :p

So I'm still having the hardest time with the Hippocrates.  The thing refuses to go together like I want it to.  Small update though.

And, since this is basically in deadlock right now, I've started playing with another small project.  There's detail in the map to work from, so this one will not take nearly as long.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Re: The HTL bandwagon is getting crowded
And, since this is basically in deadlock right now, I've started playing with another small project.  There's detail in the map to work from, so this one will not take nearly as long.
If that's what I think it is, you are my hero.

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I like the vertical connection on the Hipocrates you settled for.

The Medusa cockpit looks top notch :yes:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
Moving along...  I'm keeping it blocky, as it's just not the medusa if it doesn't have hard lines.  There are a few spots around the cockpit where that will change, but the overall squareness won't go away.  At least not on my watch.  I'm considering the engines and missile pods done, and have started work on the body.  The hardest part looks like it's going to be the connectors to the pods; the texture implies something in there, but I can't make out exactly what.

Looks fantastic and you finally get a sense of scale... those pods are massive.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
not as big as the ursa ones...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

But come on, you can almost launch Ulys out of Ursa bays... :)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
I seriously hope either you or someone plans on hi-rezifying those textures. *shiver* Ew.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
i'll do it
you want me to do it?
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It's already 512x1024, so I'm not sure what you'd do with it.  It's not like the map that we have is wanting for detail.  And for the record, I'm about 80% done I think.

Is there anything you can do to smooth out the area where the neck meets the main body?  There's a huge triangle right there, and you can't look at the model without seeing it.   :blah:

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
<replaced with current update>

Ok, opinion time :)

« Last Edit: December 17, 2005, 12:15:16 am by StratComm »