Author Topic: GTM Hippocrates WIP  (Read 81551 times)

Offline peterv

So, I take it no one has found any flaws with the sketch-up mesh or at least none that were not easy to correct?
This is by far my most complicated model to date and I've been worried that I might have missed something.

Technically, this is super. I fixed it's minors "mistakes", in less than 5 min. (Not mistakes actually, only a few edges you forgot to close and a polygon that needed to be collapsed with the body). Aesthetically it's perfect.  :yes: :yes: Learn to UV map, i hate this job.  :lol:

Offline Snail

• SC 5
:nervous: Forward it to Jadehawk...
TBH I find a lot of Jadehawk's textures a bit cartoonish, in comparison to the MVP textures.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
A few Photoshop grime filters could probably fix that in minutes.
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
community project, if someone's work needs some tweaking someone else can come in and fix it, that's the spirit of this community that I've always loved so much.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Indeed. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Just so long as they're courteous enough to upload the source files, and not just the finished DDS.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

TBH I find a lot of Jadehawk's textures a bit cartoonish, in comparison to the MVP textures.

Well yeah they are and you know why? Because this is what the masses wanted when I made some that way. Had I done them the way I truly believe they should be to portray something realistic, none would like them. Take the normals for example, 9 times out of 10 they are way too exaggerated and would be gaps large enough to stick your hand into. But then you can really see them from a distance and in real life, you would not anyway. Just the masses wish to see them so I make it so.

Besides, what is real anyway? The ones I use for myself are far more subtle in nature just because I have worked and lived around military equipment and aircraft for 20 plus years it because normal to me to see them the way I have them.
See my Ezechiel thread for an example about all this in this forum.

As for the this here, if it's gonna be a full texture job, I would start with  like 2 or three 2048 size textures to it and see if that works out well. As much as I have used tiling and how easy it is to do, I'm starting to believe a full texture would be better for most of the ship with some repetitive places done with tiles.  Better control over the design and once you get everything in place such as the layered template for the texture, would be far much easier to change things. But that is just my opinion!  :D
Got Shivans? The SOC Ezechiel is the schnitzel! Don't leave base without it.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries

Well yeah they are and you know why? Because this is what the masses wanted when I made some that way. Had I done them the way I truly believe they should be to portray something realistic, none would like them. Take the normals for example, 9 times out of 10 they are way too exaggerated and would be gaps large enough to stick your hand into. But then you can really see them from a distance and in real life, you would not anyway. Just the masses wish to see them so I make it so.

Besides, what is real anyway? The ones I use for myself are far more subtle in nature just because I have worked and lived around military equipment and aircraft for 20 plus years it because normal to me to see them the way I have them.
See my Ezechiel thread for an example about all this in this forum.

As for the this here, if it's gonna be a full texture job, I would start with  like 2 or three 2048 size textures to it and see if that works out well. As much as I have used tiling and how easy it is to do, I'm starting to believe a full texture would be better for most of the ship with some repetitive places done with tiles.  Better control over the design and once you get everything in place such as the layered template for the texture, would be far much easier to change things. But that is just my opinion!  :D

"Realistic" to your average HLP member seems to be more like "filthy". I think they're complaining that you don't put enough dirt on them or something. Because obviously having foreign matter caked onto delicate starship parts is a really great idea. :blah:
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Snail

• SC 5
No. That's not what I mean. By cartoony I mean it uses really bright colors like bright yellow and bright green even the main hull textures are bright yellow on the Khepri. In comparison to stuff like the Thoth, Seth and Horus which have kinda less saturated textures it looks so very cartoony.

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
That kind of change is only a relatively minor one - it's the layout, details and so on that are the hard parts of texturing, and Jadehawk's done pretty well there. :)

That said, my only suggestion for the future stuff is more grime, as whether that's what you would actually see on spaceships or not is irrelevant - your eye naturally expects it if you want it to be interpreted as real. :) (Well that and most FS ships are dirty in one area or another)

Anyway for this one I would say it needs a single 2048 res texture with a baked AO multiplicative layer on top.
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

No. That's not what I mean. By cartoony I mean it uses really bright colors like bright yellow and bright green even the main hull textures are bright yellow on the Khepri. In comparison to stuff like the Thoth, Seth and Horus which have kinda less saturated textures it looks so very cartoony.

OK now I see what you mean and thanks for the clarification on that.  :yes:
Yeah the ones I have done in the past have been somewhat bright. I think your talking about the Ezechiel skins I did and yes they were bright in some cases. :)
I think nit's a result of me background making lots of skins....or textures for the Il2 series of flight sims. It's a WWII Flight sim and if you know WWII, then you know how some planes can be...bright and flashy. But having said that, I still try to make them realistic if I can. The stuff I do for the TotT MOD is pretty restrained and as far as I know, the MOD team is happy with the results.  :)

Thanks for the clarification!

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles

OK now I see what you mean and thanks for the clarification on that.  :yes:
Yeah the ones I have done in the past have been somewhat bright. I think your talking about the Ezechiel skins I did and yes they were bright in some cases. :)
I think nit's a result of me background making lots of skins....or textures for the Il2 series of flight sims. It's a WWII Flight sim and if you know WWII, then you know how some planes can be...bright and flashy. But having said that, I still try to make them realistic if I can. The stuff I do for the TotT MOD is pretty restrained and as far as I know, the MOD team is happy with the results.  :)

Thanks for the clarification!

Well you haven't actually done any capships yet. But yeah, you're work on the fighters is excellent. As for Terran ships, yes, I do think you should use a bit more grit and grime. I can't really complain about the colors on the Ezechiel, but I can see what snail means about the Khepri. The Shu was excellent, but I really think it would still need to be a higher poly model to look good.

Yeah I'd love it if a good modeler made a new Shu. :)

Offline BrotherBryon

• Resident Lurker
I've seen some of Jadehawk's work and I can say thus far I've been impressed.  If he want's to take a crack at the Hippo he is more than welcome to do so. Mapping and texturing is just beyond my skill level at the moment and to be honest i don't think I have much aptitude in that direction to begin with. I'm currently trying my hand at a Shivan fighter but I've been stumped for the last couple of weeks. I've gotten pretty good with blocky Terran designs but Shivan and Vasudan designs just seem difficult to conceptualize in my mind.
Holy Crap. SHIVANS! Tours

I'm necroing this thread to possibly be the great preserver and restart this model.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
Can you model?
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Negative. The only time I've attempted it was with Milkshape, and the gun I downloaded turned into a magazine and some messy polygons very fast. I was just hoping Bryon or someone else good at it would notice this.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
So you're not "The Great Preserver". Don't bump threads unless you have something to contribute. (P.S. I hope not to come off as a dick, but we all need to learn.)
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.

Offline Rodo

• Custom tittle
  • stargazer
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
but the model is done IIRC, the only thing left are the textures right?
el hombre vicio...

but the model is done IIRC, the only thing left are the textures right?
The model is all that's done.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2009, 03:14:51 pm by Sarge126 »