Author Topic: [RELEASE] GVD Nehebkau  (Read 7149 times)

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
[RELEASE] GVD Nehebkau
You know guys what's funny? When suddenly many talented people converge towards something with no prior agreement. Spontaneous endeavour towards common purpose, driven by pure hype. And this time it was creating hipoly vasudan assets by Oddgrim, Dagger, Elaheh and Free Will. Suddenly veteran and beginner shipyards all started working on brand new, shiny, vasudan assets. You will see results of this efforts in the upcoming MediaVPs.

Then I thought: Damn... I never really tried. All the zod stuff I've ever done were eldritch kitbashes of other people's work. Mostly Oddgrim.

Then Papa Blount appeared and said "Oddgrim and TheDagger are go-to picks when it comes to making vasudan assets for FSU". **** I felt so infantily shameful for not being mentioned. Where is my 11 years of meditation? Of course it was always obvious that I wasn't mentioned for a reason. Papa Blount knows what he's talking about. Shipyards were always closed to the service to Vasudan Empire, despite meny requests...

Then I decided that it's time to upgrade my skillset and open NyctiYards for new client base. Including the Emperor himself.

...so as a man with big mouth and inborn, perky attitude, I felt that I won't escape this situation with some pity fighter. Ladies and gentleman, terrans, vasudans, ancients and shivans, I present you...

GVD Nehebkau

This is strange day. Except the canon designs, this community never produced real HTL, custom, vasudan destroyer. Forget about Hedetet and Apothess from Nostos. Those are abominations and sins I commited under pressure.

So today, after 22 years, this state finally changes.

Also it's one of the rare opportunities of seeing my original designs in action. Bulk majority of assets I produced for this community are upgrades and reworks of existing designs, with a very few exceptions like Vali or Eurynome. I knew from the beginning, that this one cannot be just another Hatshepsut rip-off... So I took my Pnepheros, mixed it with Hatshepsut and Anuket and added a subtle touch of vasudan-shivan hybrid vibe of Sekhmet. Also I knew, that unlike majority of vasudan designs, I don't want horizontal design. I wanted verticality, to provide this ship with unique vibe. Nehebkau was born via fully professional pipeline, starting from concept art, through multiple iterations, up to something I'm finally satisfied with. Many people contributed to creative process, to create an amalgam of many different visions, with Talhydras' sketches deserving honorable mention.

She is a monster on the battlefield. Techroom description is not done yet, but it's the design heavily influenced by SD Ravana. Nehebkau is heavy destroyer akin to GTD Boreas. Her role is to jump in and devastate any opponent with opening salvo of her 3 main beams.

Despite the polycount being lower, the pof size is higher then Ravana thenks to POF BSP tree o__O. It's almost 150mb pof, along with 4 sets of 8192x4096, BC7 DDS textures. I won't lie, she's big girl. UVs were optimised for lower res, so the result shall be acceptable if one prefers performance and decide to downsize all maps to 4096x2048.

To do:
- Talhydras' heavy variant.
- Baked glows [Blender 3.1 keeps crashing on her o__O]
- Alternate skins [PVN? HoL? ISF?]
- Some zod inscriptions on the hull?

And of course, this project would be impossible without my traditional modding partners and some great talents from the community who agreed to assist me in my journey.

Credits:
Nyctaeus - Model, UV, texturing, conversion
Oddgrim - Texturing, turret models, bugfixing, creative assistance, spiritual guidance
Talhydras - Creative assistance, heavy variant modelling
Knightmare - POFing, tabling.
Admiral Nelson - Texture conversion

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 03:01:21 pm by Nyctaeus »
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Re: [RELEASE] GVD Nehebkau
We do not deserve such beauty ^^

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Fantastic work!  Highlighted. :yes:

Offline Colt

• Needs more dakka
    • Steam
Watching this beauty being constructed over the past few months was exciting. The wait was absolutely worth it!  :nod:

Offline Ertanax

• Professional poet, trained scriptwriter.
Downloaded, thank you Nyct.

It will appear prominently  in MitS act 1.

Offline Sutehp

We do not deserve such beauty ^^

I agree. :jaw:

Offline Iain Baker

• 'Sup?
    • Steam
    • Twitter
    • NOMAD's Reviews
Noice!
Wanna check out my video games, technology and media website? If so, visit; https://www.nomadsreviews.co.uk/

Interested in hiring my freelance writing, proof-reading, editing, SEO, TTSO, Web Development or Social Media Management services? If so, please messege me at [email protected]

holy bollz...
'Teeth of the Tiger' - campaign in the making
Story, Ships, Weapons, Project Leader.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Great. I have been waiting years for a model like this, which solves a very central issue of a long-time project of mine.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Great. I have been waiting years for a model like this, which solves a very central issue of a long-time project of mine.
May I ask for some more details, or this is super-secret stuff :]?
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Vidmaster

May I ask for some more details, or this is super-secret stuff :]?

I am doing the Freespace 2 Addon that never was. Similar in style and length to something like Silent Threat Reborn. Vanilla-level gameplay, no super fancy scripting or Blue Planet-levels of features.
(And if I ever EVER finish that, my sights are set on what every fredder does eventually: making my-personal-Freespace-3-but-of-course-I-do-not-name-it-like-that thingy).

Your Nehebkau solves my Vasudan-problem, as I need a recognizable, unique and interesting vessel for the plot to work that is still in FS2-style. Think Icini, though not on this level. In the lore, the first of her clas was actually under construction during the events of FS2 but had not yet entered service. The Hedetet is okay-ish but I did have other plans for that model.

Anyway, it prouds me to say that I seem to have story ideas mostly unexplored by the community thus far, which was quite a surprise to me when I started laying down the details 5 years ago. I mean, I joined HLP in 2006 and FS2 was already old at that point  :lol:. Now, I am old and FS2 is looking younger than me thanks to the MediaVPs  ;) .

Anyway, do not get your hopes up for a quick release of said project, time is scarce nowadays. I can write and I can FRED but I never had much interest in 3D modelling or texture work, as such I am always dependent on great releases like this. Basically, I scour this list every half year :nod: ...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 06:05:39 am by Vidmaster »

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
You know... Feel free to ask :].

Neheb was born from my desire to improve my vasudan modelling/texturing, but also from listening to the needs of the community. My time is very limited, but still I try to supply the HLP with the assets the potential modmakers may find useful. I have large amounts of resources and equally vast capabilities. I can't really take requests, but... If you need something, you know where to find me. I often spontaneously contribute stuff. FSwiki list is rarely being maintained.

Also I'm glad to hear from a man of your experience and proficiency at modmaking, that this asset feels FS2 and meets the standard of proper vasudan destroyer. I'm veteran modeller, but Nehebkau is my first, real vasudan asset [and I set the bar high for myself, lel]. Also and it diverges from standard vasudan shapes. I wanted to offset some unorthodox artistic decisions, by closely following Hatshepsut style of texturing. It was a journey into the unknown, but looks like it's a successful one.

Looking forward for potential news about your work :yes:. Despite the fact that I'm not really into TBP much, Fortune Hunters trillogy was one of the best campaigns I ever played in this community, so I expect nothing but excellence from your upcoming projects :].

Offline Vidmaster

I'm veteran modeller, but Nehebkau is my first, real vasudan asset [and I set the bar high for myself, lel]. Also and it diverges from standard vasudan shapes. I wanted to offset some unorthodox artistic decisions, by closely following Hatshepsut style of texturing. It was a journey into the unknown, but looks like it's a successful one.

I think it looks good. It looks a generation ahead, post-Capella. Like I said, I really like it. My biggest critismn would be the fighter-bay tube, which literally "sticks out" but that also has its advantages.

Despite the fact that I'm not really into TBP much, Fortune Hunters trillogy was one of the best campaigns I ever played in this community, so I expect nothing but excellence from your upcoming projects :].
That is high praise, especially considering that I think its overambitious for my capabilties as a game designer back then, full of typos and bugs and has some really weak missions. I was so inexperienced back then... on the other hand, I was half as old. The only thing it really has going for it are the general ideas in the story (not the exact dialog or its execution), but the story's notes are good. This is what I am still proud of, the ideas in that fan fiction.
From riding side-by-side with established canon to some of the more mature themes, like the fact that not everyone will make it out alive. But gameplay-wise, I just threw **** at the fan in retrospect. I was young, I had good ideas and enthusiasm but lacked the designer skill to really bring them to fruition. That these campaigns are fondly remembered by some is giving me some weird feelings, somewhere between pride in my work and rose-tinted glasses of youth.
Better not go back and play them ;-)

You know... Feel free to ask :].
I will keep that in mind.

Offline ShadowsOfLight

• Wannabe Composer
    • Twitter
Amazing job on this model!  :nod: