Author Topic: Working on the shinemap problem  (Read 6860 times)

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
Working on the shinemap problem
yeah it looks prety crapy right now (and only works at all in the tech room), and the fix was extreemly hacky :doubt:
[edit]ok it looks fine now and works somewhat in mission too
http://freespace.volitionwatch.com/blackwater/fs2_open_r_sf1.zip

Added to the website.//redmenace
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005, 07:03:35 pm by 887 »
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Working on the shinemap problem..
So, this build is intended to allow Shinemaps for ATI cards using Radeon drivers above 4.4... correct?  Or, is this an attempt to impliment the pixel shaders (or whatever) that were discussed as a another solution to this problem, with additional performance and image quality gains as well?  Will I notice anything if I'm using the 4.3?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you'll notice shine maps and lighting in general is realy ****ed up
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
hmm, I figured out what was causeing the stupid lighting problem, the zip has been updated,  will someone with more forumical powers fix the title for me?

shine maps should now work on cats > 4.4... sort of, it will only use the first sun it sees and it will always be white, irrespective of what it realy should be, next weekend I'll work on getting this properly working, but now I realy need to get started on some homework, but I would realy aprichiate some people downloading this and telling me what they see, the quality of the spec maps should be slightly better than the standard (ignoreing the lack of color and only suporting one directional light)
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
hve you managed to get around to commiting submodel animations? just curious :D
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
eh, no, but I split my code base off before I started this so you don't have to worry about me going off on a tangent and looseing all the animation code.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Woah, didn't see this coming.  I'll take a look.

EDIT: Ok, this is what I've seen.

The Good:
-It works!  Finally, a little shine on my X800XT!  It does actually look better.

The Bad:
-Backgrounds in missions are completely FUBAR'd.  Instead of nice pretty nebulas I'm getting squares of basic color interlaced with black.  Suns work, but not nebulas, using lightspeed's sets.

-OGL is broken.  Crashes whenever I try to get anywhere 3d-related.

The Ugly:
-I'm assuming this is not a fresh CVS branch, as the show missile code is still very present.  And quite frankly, it looks absolutely horrible on meshes not specifically designed for the feature.  Not related to the effect though, so not terribly important.  Likewise none of the recently-committed changes (like the tester feature, which I have come to love) are here.  But you know that already.

-Well, this:  Note the sun showing through the model, as well as other model parts shining through in places.  Also shows the nebula mess.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 01:14:37 am by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Originally posted by StratComm
-OGL is broken.  Crashes whenever I try to get anywhere 3d-related.

Are you using -novbo?  If not then use it.  I fixed a memory leak which in turn broke the VBO fix so it will crash when entering a mission.  The techroom should work fine, just trying to get in a mission will hit the bug.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 02:05:23 am by 1252 »

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
I prety much assumed that anything other than models would be totaly killed, I'm kind of suprised the 2d interface still works at all.

I'll  get my animation code finalised,  finish the misle code, then I'll get to work on implementing this in a non-test environment, as it seems to be working.

one last thing I'm wondering about are there any perfomence changes, I actualy expect this to run quite a bit faster that the 'normal' builds as it's doing everything in one rendering pass

oh, and this is an actual vertex shader BTW, it was a ****ing pain in the ass to get it working, this is by no means the vertex shader system I had envisioned,  it's more of a hack implementation
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 02:50:22 am by 57 »
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Originally posted by taylor

Are you using -novbo?  If not then use it.  I fixed a memory leak which in turn broke the VBO fix so it will crash when entering a mission.  The techroom should work fine, just trying to get in a mission will hit the bug.

Using OGL here as well, -novbo didn't fix it :(

Well, I'm not a radeon guy, but I was testing this out.  Actually, It's a good bit of a performance hit.  Could be for any number of reasons though.  If it's offloading work formerly done by the CPU to the GPU or pixel shader, then I'd expect that giving how mismatched by CPU and GPU are.

Performance hit varies a good bit.  Goes from around 50-70 fps in apocalypse to 30-50 in this build.

I suspect though, that the problem is heavily related to whatever's causing the background images to look like that - "Surrender, Belisarius" takes a very large fps hit (120 normal build, 50-60 in this) except when I'm looking at an area with no background in sight, at which point it returns to 120 fps.  Considering how few models there are in that mission, it's hard to imagine that kind of hit could be caused by poly alone.

Specs:  A64 Winchester 3200+, 1 GB RAM, Geforce3 Ti 200.

Originally posted by Bobboau
oh, and this is an actual vertex shader BTW, it was a ****ing pain in the ass to get it working, this is by no means the vertex shader system I had envisioned,  it's more of a hack implementation

Can you implement my dot3 vertex shader now? ;7

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,29853.0.html
« Last Edit: February 07, 2005, 06:04:10 am by 2136 »
My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
em... maybe... I'll have to look into what all needs to be done.
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

My Sytem

Wer das liest ist doof!

Offline redmenace

Sorry bob, I thought my forumical powers could fix the problem.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Can I just say that I'm really glad you're trying to solve this one for those of us who are using later driver builds. I sorely miss the shinemapping and appreciate the extra effort involved.

Cheers!

Offline Bobboau

Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
is it working for you?
learn to use PCS
PCS 2.0.3

Offline Ransom

• M. Night Russel
  • It will not wait.
    • Rate of Injury
Works for me, in the techroom at least, looks much better.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It's working. I've been so long without shinemaps that I find it less impressive that the original version though. Can't tell if that's cause it's not working 100% or if it's cause I got used to shines and now they don't impress me as much :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It actually may have to do with the fact that Lightspeed and DaBrain have turned down the shines on ships so heavily.  We used to have the spec highlights and otherwise huge shines, but with the good maps we have now things look much more subtle.  It's harder to get blown away by the effect now, but it makes things look much better overall.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM