Author Topic: Steering issues in FreeSpace Open  (Read 2634 times)

Steering issues in FreeSpace Open
I've just recently installed FreeSpace Open on my Ubuntu 8.10 laptop and it loads up fine, but when I'm trying to go through the tutorials, my ship constantly turns in one direction non-stop when I'm not pushing any buttons. This even happens when the mouse is turned off in the options menu. With the mouse option turned on, I can get the ship to stop turning for a second by using the mouse to turn the ship in the opposite direction, but again, it's only for a second and then it starts turning again in the same original direction. Can anyone help me fix this? Thanks in advance.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Steering issues in FreeSpace Open
Hrm. Could you check the Joystick tab in the launcher? Maybe your computer thinks there's a joystick enabled for some reason.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Welcome to the HLPBB! :D

During a mission, press F2 and reduce your joystick sensibility in a radical way - that should work. :)

I've experienced the same problem you're reporting when my mouse and joystick sensibilities were somewhat conflicting.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 03:31:23 pm by Lobo »
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

I just tried increasing the mouse sensitivity to max and decreasing the joystick sensitivity to minimum during the mission but it had no effect so I have no idea what's going on. I would try to check the Joystick tab, but linux doesn't come with a launcher *that I know of* so I can't do that. Is there a way to maybe turn off the joystick entirely in the linux version or something?

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
I just tried increasing the mouse sensitivity to max and decreasing the joystick sensitivity to minimum during the mission but it had no effect so I have no idea what's going on. I would try to check the Joystick tab, but linux doesn't come with a launcher *that I know of* so I can't do that. Is there a way to maybe turn off the joystick entirely in the linux version or something?

Try deleting the default controls that assign X and Y axis to Turn (Yaw) and Pitch respectively. And possibly the Bank (Roll) as well.

F2, Control Config, Ship, select the appropriate control, Clear Selected. Rinse and repeat till all the joystick axis bindings are gone.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I've seen something similar to this a couple of times in the past and it turned out that the keyboard had a device which was being interpreted as a joystick.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Thanks for the responses guys. I tried everything you guys said, and at one point, was able to complete the first tutorial, but then after that, the game crashed and now, the steering issue is back and I can't fix it again. Also, the game now either crashes as I load up the tutorials (since I was only able to complete the first one before it crashed) and I'm unable to even see if the steering glitch is there, or if the tutorial does load, the steering glitch is there, so I don't know what to do. I've been thinking that it might be an installation issue but I don't know where I would have gone wrong. I installed the retail fs2 from the sci-fi sim of the year edition discs through wine so I didn't have to patch the 1.2v patch. Then, I ran Turey's installer and downloaded all the fso files to the same directory that the fs2 files installed to. Finally I ran the fs2_open 3.6.9.run file and used the .fs2_open directory in the home folder as the install path and the fs2 directory that everything was installed to through wine as the binary path. Did I do something wrong during these steps that might be contributing to the glitches? I'm new to ubuntu 8.10 and linux in general so I guess that chances of that are highly likely.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Thanks for the responses guys. I tried everything you guys said, and at one point, was able to complete the first tutorial, but then after that, the game crashed and now, the steering issue is back and I can't fix it again. Also, the game now either crashes as I load up the tutorials (since I was only able to complete the first one before it crashed) and I'm unable to even see if the steering glitch is there, or if the tutorial does load, the steering glitch is there, so I don't know what to do.

I've been thinking that it might be an installation issue but I don't know where I would have gone wrong. I installed the retail fs2 from the sci-fi sim of the year edition discs through wine so I didn't have to patch the 1.2v patch. Then, I ran Turey's installer and downloaded all the fso files to the same directory that the fs2 files installed to.

Finally I ran the fs2_open 3.6.9.run file and used the .fs2_open directory in the home folder as the install path and the fs2 directory that everything was installed to through wine as the binary path. Did I do something wrong during these steps that might be contributing to the glitches? I'm new to ubuntu 8.10 and linux in general so I guess that chances of that are highly likely.

Paragraphs, please. :p

Anyway: I would wager on a mediaVP issue. Turey's installer has serious problems with the MediaVP installation. Basically what it does is download corrupt/incomplete versions and you end up with lacking files that can cause crashes.

Also, 3.6.9 is at least hundred years old. Go here and download the Linux 3.6.10 RC2 build for now.

Then, the first thing you should do is try running the RC2 build with no mods at all. Just to check that the retail game works. After that, try it with the mediaVP's.

If the problem persists, it is almost certainly the mediaVP's that are faulty (and I think that most likely is the case), but you can confirm this by running the debug build until the game crashes. After a crash, locate ../freespace2/data/fs2_open.log and post it here (pastebin, code tags or an attachment would do).

Most likely you will need to download the mediaVP's manually to get the non-corrupt versions, but let's establish the situation first.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Ah, yeah, sorry about the lack of paragraphing.

I downloaded the Linux 3.6.10 RC2 build as you suggested and extracted it into the .wine folder that contained the FreeSpace2 files + the FSOpen files and the game ran without a hiccup, even going past the first stage of the tutorial and into the second. The steering issue was still present though, so for now I've disabled the mouse pitch axis controls.

Now, I'm up to the part where I'm supposed to test the game with the mediavps in place, but I'm kind of lost here. I don't really know how to do this, and before, to activate the mods, I was just following a guide that stated that I needed to create my own executable text file. So, was I supposed to use the yal launcher that I downloaded from the site you provided in order to load the game without the mods in the first place?

Sorry that I'm not even able to follow such basic instructions. The learning curve for Ubuntu for me at the moment is a little steep because I'm not really sure how to use it to its full extent yet.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
Okay, here's what I personally think you should do.

1. Create a new directory for the game. Keeping it in .wine will just unnecessarily complicate things. Something like /games/freespace2/ might be good, it doesn't really matter.

2. Move all the retail VP files from the current FS2 directory into the new one. When you have done this, the directory should contain the following files only:

root_fs2.vp
    smarty_fs2.vp
    sparky_fs2.vp
    sparky_hi_fs2.vp
    stu_fs2.vp
    tango1_fs2.vp
    tango2_fs2.vp
    tango3_fs2.vp
    warble_fs2.vp

and possibly OggCutscenePack.vp and multiplayer mission pack, but these are not absolutely necessary for playing the game (although the cutscene pack is nice).

3. Move the RC2 builds into this new directory.

At this point, you should be able to run the game and confirm that it works with the retail data.

Yes, it's that simple. Although you might need to set the permissions of ../freespace2/ directory so that the game can create the ../freespace2/data and subdirectories (like cache, mod data directories et cetera), plus write files in those directories.

After confirming that things work at this stage, you'll likely want to add a new directory called ../freespace2/mediavps/. Into this directory you will want to put the MediaVP files which increase the visual quality of the game quite a bit.

If you chose to download mods through the installer, you might want to move other mod directories from the original directory as well.

You will also want to set the game to use the correct resolution and bit depth; native resolution of your monitor is preferable (FS2_Open supports widescreen resolutions remarkably well) and bit depth should be 32. These options are configured by a file in ~/.fs2_open/fs2_open.ini .

And then we come to interesting bit; enabling features and using mod directories. Or more accurately, setting up the command line.

The command line options of FS2_Open are multiple and various. Most are explained in here, but for now suffice to say that the Launcher on Windows is basically used as a GUI to manipulate the command line (and video resolution and sound and other options). On Linux there's some kind of launcher I believe, but it's relatively easy to set things up manually.

Basically, fs2_open reads a command line from a file in ../freespace2/data/cmdline_fso.cfg. It's a plain text file and you should save the static command line options (which you will likely use majority of the time) there.

EDIT: typo fixed. :ick:

My suggestion on what to put in that file would be as follows (with shameless advertisement of my personal lighting settings, your mileage may vary):

Code: [Select]
-spec -glow -env -normal -nomotiondebris -missile_lighting -cache_bitmaps -dualscanlines -targetinfo -rearm_timer -ship_choice_3d -weapon_choice_3d -3dwarp -warp_flash -snd_preload -no_emissive_light -ambient_factor 35 -ogl_spec 20 -spec_exp 15 -spec_point 1.2 -spec_static 1.5 -spec_tube 1.5
You can look up what these cmdline flags do in the Wiki. For specific lighting options, look here.

Mod directories are activated with the -mod command line switch. For example, if you want to enable MediaVP's, you would run fs2_open_r -mod mediavps. Multiple mods can be run by cumulative mod command line; for example if you want to run Blue Planet which requires MediaVP's, you would run fs2_open -mod BluePlanet,mediavps. Just separate the directories with comma and it will work.

You may want to create startup scripts for mods; this is described here. It's basically the equivalent of creating icons with certain command line options on Windows...

Good luck with things. :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 01:42:19 am by Herra Tohtori »

Thanks for all your help Herra. The game works fine now and the steering glitch is gone too.

The only thing I'm still a bit confused on is that you mentioned that the game reads the command line in cmdlin_fso.cfg but no matter where I looked, I couldn't find the data folder with that file in it so that I could add in the tweaks and mods. I ended up creating my own startup script using the instructions given in the "Fs2 open on Linux" directions within the freespace wiki and it seems to work well like that. Hopefully I didn't do something wrong again.

Again thanks for your help. You've brought my week worth of frustration with installing the game to an end.    :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
urk.

cmdline_fso.cfg is the correct file. Sorry for the typo...

Also, if there is not ../freespace2/data/ folder, that means likely that there might be some issues with caching the model data. Although MediaVP models do have cache files readily in them, so you likely wouldn't notice much slowdowns. Data dir missing sounds a lot like the game doesn't have sufficient permissions to create the directory it needs for storing stuff. Even if everything seems to be working, it's worth solving...

This is what I would recommend:

$ sudo mkdir ../freespace2/data/
$ sudo chmod -R 755 ../freespace2/

You need to of course use the correct directory path to your game for it to work, but you get the point I hope. The first command will create the data directory. The second is a recursive permissions setup for the entire FreeSpace2 directory, and since it's recursive it'll set the same permissions for the entire game.

Specifically, the permissions set by this octal number will be read/write/execute for user, read/execute for group, read/execute for other (all) (or rwxr-xr-x in other terms). It might work with lighter settings, but I'm assuming here that you aren't paranoid about the security of your FreeSpace2 directory... and at least it isn't a full blown chmod 777 (full read-write-execute rights for everyone). If you want to try different permission configurations, feel free to experiment... the octal numeric format takes a while to start making sense.

After creating the directory and setting the permissions, try running the game again and then check if any files have been generated in the data directory. By all rights you should find at least the cmdline_fso.cfg one... I hope. :nervous:

Yeah, I tried creating the folder through the terminal but it created as root, and the chmod command ended up saying that i was not permitted to change the permissions of the folder so I don't know. The folder in question still does not have that file cmdline_fso.cfg...nor anything else for that matter. Are those directories absolutely necessary? Like, if I want to use the mods or play multiplayer, will not having those directories cause problems?