Author Topic: Descent mod news thread  (Read 8102 times)

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Descent mod news thread
Ok, Thunder is doing a site for me (thanx dude, that's very cool   ), but for now I'll post all the news on this thread, coz it doesn't really belong to the "technic" part of the modding stuff.
What I have done for now:
- I have grabbed lots of mods from other peoples, including a new skin, new briefing anis, dark planet models and reskins, and some others.
- I have modeled and imported the Pyro GX "vertigo" in FS2, it works, have shields, it only lacks docking points and paths (if someone could help me with that, that would be cool)
- I have made 2 spinning anis for the tech room: the Mega missile and the GAUSS gun. the GAUSS tbl is also done and it works ingame
- apart from the mine you can find somewhere in the modding forum, I have a fully working "hollow" asteroid, with loads of corridors (curved ones, even an helicoidal one). Now I'll have to make more esthetic mappings, because for now it uses only 2 different maps. But that's fun and tehre's no clipping, you can actually fly around the asteroid first, and then enter in it.
- I've made some new skins for the Appolo, too
- I got a Star liner :þ, imporetd into fs2, doesn't have any subsystem and doesn't need them, but if someone want to make that, I'll send him the pof.
- I've converted the Pyro GL from descent3 into a more useable model for fs2 (lots of poly intersections). It's now in the early stages of mapping.
-I've finished the model for a new pyro ship, the LX (a lower end pyro, precursor of the GX), needs to be converted.
- I've done some background history, and written some mission plots.

I think that's all for now.
Oh, should I post often news, or people doesn't really care ( tiping so long posts hurts my poor little fingers :þ )

------------------
venom2506
Member of the Robotech mod for FS2

and of Hidden Terror, the Shivan campaign

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Descent mod news thread
What really interests me about this mod are the mine models. Even if nothing else works, I'd love to see some complete mines to fly FS ships around in...(hint hint)  

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Descent mod news thread
Wicked  
And i'm still working on the sites format, I used the templated for SoT for it (as it was functional) but I'd quiet like it to look obviously different apart from the colours...

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

Offline QXMX

Descent mod news thread
Thunder, what do you use to build your sites?

------------------
.....File not found....please enter password

Co-Creator, GroundZero

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Descent mod news thread
Good old Newbie tool: Frontpage 98  

what can I say, I know most "pro" web makers flame it, but I kinda like it and find it easy to use and stable.

------------------
Co-Creator:  Hard Light Productions
Webmaster: Sounds of Thunder

Offline Nico

• Venom
Descent mod news thread
Sushi, you'll like this I think:
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/DESCENT00.html
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/DESCENT01.html
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/DESCENT02.html
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/DESCENT03.html
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/DESCENT04.html
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/DESCENT05.html
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/DESCENT06.html

The pb is that this kind of structure is pretty useless if the AI can't fly in it. Or else I'll have to make static bots   (like turrets). That's bad, coz I can make my fighter to fly like in descent, now: strafe left/right, up/down, and it works nice

------------------
venom2506

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Descent mod news thread
Really? How do you do that? I thought the only way to make that work was to cheat.

As for the AI, just give them equal parts forward & reverse thrust, vertical and horizontal slide. You might also consider doing an AI table mod to increase their evasion ability, so they don't hit the walls too much...

------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
Descent mod news thread
For the movment: taht's easy: just give the fighter speeds for each axis, by default, 1,3 , + and enter from the num pad allow you to slide  

For the AI table... can you make it? I don't know anything about this one lol.
I alreday gave the bot equal xyz speeds, it doesn't really hit the walls, it just turn in a room, and can't go in any corridor, but I think I've ***ed up its table, I'll try again.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Descent mod news thread
I've changed the main hall music, and made techroom anis for the Smart missile and the plasma gun.
SCREW CANON!

Offline KillMeNow

• The Empire Lives
Descent mod news thread
even if the ai isn't ideally suited to the style of gameplay - might be fun mulitplayer
ARGHHH

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Descent mod news thread
That easy, huh?  

------------------

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Descent mod news thread
That easy, huh?  

As for the AI table, it's pretty self-explanatory. Each skill level(easy, medium, hard) has several categories(evasion, aim, courage, etc.) that have a 1 to 100 number assigned to them for each AI class(Captain, Major, General.) I was thinking that increasing the average evasion value would help, but if they're already avoiding walls fine, it won't make a difference.  

------------------

Offline Nico

• Venom
Descent mod news thread
If only they could leave the room lol they just turn in circle, like lions in a cage.

Oh, as I'm posting, I'll ask that again: can someone could make me some mercs/bounty hunter/smuglers/freelancer/whatever skins for the following ships: Herc mk1, valkyrie, athena? I would need 5 of each

------------------
venom2506

and My own page

[This message has been edited by venom2506 (edited 05-23-2001).]
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Descent mod news thread
Here is the background of my campaign:

"Your father was an independant trader, flying his freighter for various customers throughout the GTA space. The Vasudo-terran war was all benefit for him, never the commercial trade routes been busier.  Every world needed various goods and material.
Then came the shivans, and terror was their messanger. Many people fled before the black and red avengers, and as worlds were left uninhabited, trading died. And like many of his mates, your father began to trade with Terra, even if prices there were outrageous. What else could he do? When the Lucifer headed for Earth, a wind of panic blew upon Terra's inhabitants, and many fled again toward the many colony worlds surrounding Sol. Your father didn't, mainly because he wanted his money back from the local banker. Then the sol node collapsed, and, to his great displeasure, he found himself trapped inside Sol. But despair turned quickly into hope, as it became evident that the GTA could not control the situation, and would quickly collapse too, which was good for him. And, like many, he took advantage of the situation. For three years, before the rising of the new Terran Alliance, the rulers were mostly corporations, and some still have a great influence now, as they know how to handle the military. Many freelancers joined these big corporations to survive. Your father did not, and managed to continue to trade, because he always avoided the "opportunities" that would draw corporations' attention. Finally, he retired, and you and your sister are now following in his steps, and you've never broken the golden rule: "Avoid the corporations, son"... but you have a wider vision of the meaning of "trading"..."

[This message has been edited by venom2506 (edited 05-23-2001).]
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Here is the MPF (Military Police) Starhawk, converted from descent3, ingame (with some work, coz I didn't want to use something like 12 maps for a little ship...)
It's a fast fighter, but that's about the only good thing in it. Anyway, as you'll mainly fly unshielded ships in the campaign, and considering that the police always work in group, it may make you suffer -if you don't respect the law of course   -
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/HS01.html
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/HS02.html

------------------
venom2506

and My own page

[This message has been edited by venom2506 (edited 06-01-2001).]
SCREW CANON!

Offline Nico

• Venom
Next ship to come: the descent3 Pyro GL
it's converted into pof and works well. some clipping pb but nothing obvious, so I won't change anything.
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/pyrogl.html?991781118370

SCREW CANON!

Offline QXMX

Originally posted by Thunder:
Good old Newbie tool: Frontpage 98  

what can I say, I know most "pro" web makers flame it, but I kinda like it and find it easy to use and stable.

Kewl.  It's probably the most supported, and really cuts out a lot of code writing that takes time away from other things  

------------------
.....File not found....please enter password

Co-Creator, GroundZero

Offline Nico

• Venom
Another "peacefull civilian station", showing my two last models, a tugship, I have to find it a proper name ( dark ship in the background), and the azonia civilian shuttle (white and red ship)
 http://www.geocities.com/venom250681/azonia.html?992113405080

hem, does someone at least reads this post, btw?

------------------
venom2506

and My own page
SCREW CANON!

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I'm reading it. I like the tunnel flying stuff. I've done it before with the FS2 engine and enjoyed it. So I'm looking forward to downloading your Descent stuff.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Very, very nice... keep it up  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.