Author Topic: My second HTL try: Manticore  (Read 23380 times)

Re: My second HTL try: Manticore
I've been tracking this for a while now and I have to say, I love it --- although I wish the greebling of the exterior of the ship followed the original textures better. As for the commentary on a six-gunned, two-missile pod-ed Manticore, my explanation is that the Shivans had two forms of Manticore --- one that we fought quite often, and another "breed" only seen in the FS2 intro modified to have more firepower. An..."elite" Manticore, if you will.

And the fact no one ever sees these uber Manticores can be easily explained that they tend to be found around fully-shielded Lucifer class superdestroyers... ;)

Any chance the three triangular missile ports could be modified after the model is finished to put two HUGE beam cannon emitters on the sucker? All we need to truly torture a player is to put fighterbeams on the ends of the arms... :drevil:

Offline starfox

The idea of two Manticore versions is quite logical, if you think that the Shivans are also using Cain-class Cruiser Chassis for a far more deadlier Lillith class...

Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Thing that bugs me about the Shivans is that the Basilisk has the Green features originally...

That was off topic though heh.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 10:15:41 am by BlackDove »

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Thing is... the green doesn't look nearly as menacing. It looks... old.

Offline knn

It's not just the Basilisk

Apparently green was changed to red to make Shivans look more evil, but V didn't have time to redo the animations
*downloads model*
Nice work btw, the only thing I don't like are the bottom weapons. I think they shouldn't be rounded, and you're wasting too much polygons there. And those extrudes... get rid of them. They look more like geometry errors. I think you should do something rectangular like in the pic.

Edit: oh and please... never ever put a hole in the gunpoint. There's no need to, you won't be seeing it ingame anyways. Textures will do. Same goes for turrets (smaller ones at least)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 10:41:54 am by knn »
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org

Lucifer in the .ani's had a Green/Yellow combo as well, right?

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
True... meh, I guess it's the Basilisk I just don't like in green. But that's me.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The Basilisk is basically a shivan coffin with guns anyway.

I can think of three types of ships that might lose to it in one-on-one combat.
- Utterly unarmed ones (Cargo containers...asteroids...escape pods...)
- Anubis without shields and only ML-16s
- Training drones.
-C

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo

I can think of three types of ships that might lose to it in one-on-one combat.
- Utterly unarmed ones (Cargo containers...asteroids...escape pods...)
- Anubis without shields and only ML-16s
- Training drones.

I dunno. What if Alpha 1 was piloting?
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline WMCoolmon

Remove "Training Drone", "Anubis", and "asteroid" from that list.
-C

Offline Raptor

I take it you don't like the Basilisk then? ;)
...There ought to be something surreal about a Zoid offering romantic advice...and yet there is not. It seems perfectly normal that the Liger is giving Bit advice on relationships, and it shouldn't, but it does. Dangit man, you've confused me again.[/I]
NGTM-R review of one of the chapters in my fanfic story :D Story is here! -> 'Ancient Legacies'

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Well, it's not a very powerfull ship, it realy better serves the role of "light bomber" than heavy assault, utterly useless against anything but cruisers.

Then again, it's a hell of alot better than the ashema.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I imagine the Basilisk isn't so bad if you try flying it. Remember how easy it was to shoot down NTF Hercs, but we love 'em anyway.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
I'm actually really feeling sorry for the Shivans. They have the worst fighter weapons in the whole game.. Try fighting with weapons that are worse than Prom R...

EDIT: With proper weapons Basilisk might actaully be worth of something.
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

I guess that depends how you use it.......

Offline WMCoolmon

I take it you don't like the Basilisk then? ;)

Oh no, I love the Basilisk. With With Kaysers I could blow them out of the sky all day. :D
-C

This doesn't correspond to here, but yes Shivans weapons aren't really worth compared to Terran and Vasudan ones...

However in Inferno, there is an exclusive Shivan weapon, called "Swarm of Death", is an Harpoon (Aspect seeker) that Spawn around 14 Missiles when it explodes, if an Harpoon is deadly in FS2, then imagine what it can do when it spawn 14 sub-munnittions, even if 10 times weaker that the 1st Missile, it can do a lot more of damage......

When I add the support for players to be allowed to use Shivan ships, I really noticed, that probabily no one will choose them, the ships were unbalanced, I do multiple things in order to brough balance, but still there should be needed a few more...............

The only Shivan adventage is Slide acceleration (if there would be a key to use, I could evade everything...there is?) and Backwards acceleration...........

------------------------------------

But talking about FS2, I really like to use the Nephilim, it's a Mobile Fortress, it's shield are really powerful, carries lot of Weapons, and it has 7 Gun FirePoints, it may not have AfterBurner, but if someone would do a face-to-face challenge, I am sure the Nephilim would have the higher changes of survive

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
This is getting off-topic...

Are we going to try revising this beast, or would we be better off redoing it in Max or something else that preserves the texture coordinates?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...