Author Topic: Free Roaming Space Games  (Read 22882 times)

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
Free Roaming Space Games
I've been trying to find a good free roaming space game for a while now, but I keep coming up empty.  I've played the I-War games to death, along with Freelancer.  I played a bit of an X3 demo (I forget which one), but couldn't really get into it, mostly because of the indecipherable UI and the fact that I spend about two hours ferrying some guy from station A to station B inside the same orbit...  On the other hand, I only spent a couple of hours with it, so maybe it gets better later. 

I guess overall, I'm looking for something similar to one of the X3 games, something with combat, trading, maybe a little corporate empire-building. 

Anyone have any suggestions?  Should I give one of the X3's another shot?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: Free Roaming Space Games
EVE  :nervous:

Offline Tyrian

• Dangerous When Thinking
I thought about that, but I don't want to pay a monthly subscription.  Also, I think the X3 demo I tried was Reunion.  Is Terran Conflict significantly better?
Want to be famous?  Click here and become a playing card!!!

Bush (Verb) -- To do stupid things with confidence.

This year, both Groundhog Day and the State of the Union Address occurred during the same week.  This is an ironic juxtaposition of events--one involves a meaningless ritual in which we look to a creature of little intelligence for prognostication, while the other involves a groundhog.

Bumper stickers at my college:
"Republicans for Voldemort!"
"Frodo failed.  Bush got the Ring."

Resistance is futile!  (If < 1 ohm...)

"Any nation which sacrifices a little liberty for a little security deserves neither and loses both." -- Benjamin Franklin

Sig rising...

Offline headdie

• i don't use punctuation lol
  • Lawful Neutral with a Chaotic outook
    • Minecraft
    • Headdie on Deviant Art
I am grinning like a mad one at the irony of a person with the name Tyrian is asking about free roaming space games :D .

On a more serious note if you fancy going retro Wing Commander Privateer I/II are good along with the venerable Elite series
Minister of Interstellar Affairs Sol Union - Retired
quote General Battuta - "FRED is canon!"
Contact me at [email protected]
My Release Thread, Old Release Thread, Celestial Objects Thread, My rubbish attempts at art

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
X3 is notoriously hard to get in to - there are those out there who say it has the steepest learning curve of any game. The reward is debatable - at least with Eve you have the added random human element which doesn't exist as much in X3 single player. Maybe stick with it for a few more hours and see if you have an epiphany, otherwise consider an alternative?

The sad thing is there just aren't that many modern space sims out there that offer what I think you're looking for.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I thought about that, but I don't want to pay a monthly subscription.  Also, I think the X3 demo I tried was Reunion.  Is Terran Conflict significantly better?

If you're seriously willing to consider the brutally unfriendly EVE, you don't actually have to pay a monthly subscription - you can make enough money ingame to buy Pilot License Extensions with ISK, the ingame currency.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Definitely X series, my father plays it and managed to built a pretty sizeable corporate empire.
I've only flew in X3 a few times, in combat (I'm not patient enough for economic side of such games, but dad once had something else to do and left cleaning an enemy strike group to me. I've even managed to capture a nice ship for his collection, one he had trouble getting.  :) ), but I can say it's quite enjoyable to fly. Interface is complicated, but you can use a hotkeys for nearly everything. Dynamic economy is also incredible, the simulation is very complex and detailed. Too much for me (it was fine with Freelancer's easy economy), but you may like it.
The learning curve is rather steep indeed, but you can try X2, which is somewhat simpler (and perhaps XTension and original X, though I never tried them).

Offline Thaeris

• Can take his lumps
  • Away in Limbo
Nuke once suggested Oolite, which is an open source clone of the classic Elite game:

http://www.oolite.org/

...I have yet to play it myself. You might also look into the original games if you want to fire up DOSbox. If THAT interests you, you can always look for Frontier or GL Frontier.

I believe Vega Strike is also free-roaming:

http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/
"trolls are clearly social rejects and therefore should be isolated from society, or perhaps impaled."

-Nuke

"Look on the bright side, how many release dates have been given for Doomsday, and it still isn't out yet.

It's the Duke Nukem Forever of prophecies..."

"Jesus saves.

Everyone else takes normal damage.
"

-Flipside

"pirating software is a lesser evil than stealing but its still evil. but since i pride myself for being evil, almost anything is fair game."

"i never understood why women get the creeps so ****ing easily. i mean most serial killers act perfectly normal, until they kill you."

-Nuke

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, Vega Strike is free roaming.
There was also a Privateer conversion for it's engine.
It's missing a few things, but it's quite accurate (again, according to my dad. I don't generally play such games).

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft

Offline Alex Heartnet

• Loli with a hammer
    • Minecraft
Free roaming, hmm.  Freelancer, anyone?  How about Star Control 2?

There's also some lesser known games, such as Hardwar (which is currently unavailable to buy legally), and Darkstar One.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Oh ****, Hardwar was amazing.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 10:16:20 pm by Nuke »
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
You might do well to wait for X-Rebirth, depending on the amount of time it actually takes to develop and whether it lives up to the promise of being just as deep without the uneccesary complication of the original. X-TC is good, but there are annoying glitches that can ruin the experience at times (Your Colossus was destroyed in [insert system] by Pirate Harrier...:wtf:).

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
Battlecruiser 3000
If you find X3 a little too intense with all it's fancy doo-dads and jee-jaws, why not try X1 and 2? They're a lot simpler and easier to get into (in my opinion anyway).
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline JGZinv

• The Last Dual! Guardian
    • The FringeSpace Conversion Mod
No Tachyon the Fringe in here... seriously....
True power comes not from strength, but from the soul and imagination.
Max to PCS2 to FS2 SCP Guide
The FringeSpace Conversion Mod

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
No Tachyon the Fringe in here... seriously....

that game was hardly free roaming. you werent allowed to leave the base unless you had a mission. point of free roaming is that you can wander around mindlessly and the game dont care.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline Retsof

• Sanity is over-rated.
There's also Pioneer Space Sim, but it is still in rather early alpha and is missing quite a bit.  Has procedural systems and planets though.  (be warned, the face generator for spaceport comms can get reeally creepy looking people)
:::PROUD VASUDAN RIGHTS SUPPORTER:::

"Get off my forum" -General Battuta
I can't help but hear a shotgun cocking with this.

Offline Shade

Omg, Hardwar. Thanks for reminding me, I must find my CDs and play that again.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline Locutus of Borg

• Who counted those posts?????????????
Freelancer with the Discovery Mod
We are the Borg
We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own

Resistance is FUTILE