Author Topic: Modified Forum Layout - Input Required  (Read 10047 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Re: Modified Forum Layout - Input Required
Kara - That makes sense. I'm not sure of the best format to do that though? Having an individual support forum for each TC / campaign etc. would be far too much. But then we'd have to draw the line somewhere between campaign/TC specific problems and the sort of problems that affect FreeSpace as a whole. Any thoughts on that? A lot of campaign/TC specific stuff would be solved more easily in the forum of the appropriate campaign or TC as the error would be related directly to their work....

jr2 - What sort of content did you have in mind? I don't want to have anything that we each have to click through each time we want to access the forum...

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
Kara - That makes sense. I'm not sure of the best format to do that though? Having an individual support forum for each TC / campaign etc. would be far too much. But then we'd have to draw the line somewhere between campaign/TC specific problems and the sort of problems that affect FreeSpace as a whole. Any thoughts on that? A lot of campaign/TC specific stuff would be solved more easily in the forum of the appropriate campaign or TC as the error would be related directly to their work....

Which is exactly why i proposed the FreeSpace Open as top level organization (ie. the engine) which would then have related 'Modding' and 'Fredding' forums under it. Instead of current FreeSpace Modding and FRED Discussion forums.

And i think jr2 means something like a quick guide to get FreeSpace Open.. a link (advert banner type thingye perhaps) to it that is
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I'm not at all keen on the idea of putting modding and FREDding under FSO to be honest. I can see where you're coming from but to be honest it's not mutually exclusive is it? All FREDding / modding doesn't necessarily involve FSO (even though the majority does).

I'd rather it was a "graduating" process. You get FS - you learn a bit about modding and what have you and you incorporate the FSO into that when you're ready - but the FSO is still a separate entity.

A quick link would be cool... alongside the highlights perhaps? I'd rather it didn't take up much space - once you've got into FSO the button becomes more or less useless so it shouldn't be obtrusive to everyone who's already a member / established how to work FSO for themselves.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I'm simply thinking that you should change the name to something like "Freespace & FS2_Open Engine Tech Support"

It's not so much the board's location or idea that's wrong so much as the name. It doesn't make it clear that it's the place to go if you get the same problem with TBP and BtRL for instance.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Fair enough.. I'll do that now :)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Can we get the private subforums in the SCP forums listed before the public ones

it used to be:
[Private] SCP Developers
[Private] Hosted Collaboration
Cross Platform Development
Recent Builds

It currently is:
Recent Builds
Cross Platform Development
[Private] SCP Developers
[Private] Hosted Collaboration
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
I for one would like to see the old main webpage replace the newer wimp one.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Yeah to be honest HLP 2.0 was much prettier and made information easier to access.
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Hey, where'd all the new (old?) linkies in the 'hosted' tab come from?

And what is (was?) the Interview center and array?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah to be honest HLP 2.0 was much prettier and made information easier to access.

It was also an enormous PITA to build and maintain and was heavily tied to the VBB software that HLP ran on. Now I'm sure Styxx might be able to bring back HLP 2.0 if he had the time but wouldn't you rather he worked on the 3DS Max pof exporter than a fancy webpage?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
You guys are getting confused with regards to what is being worked on right now.

At the moment it's the forum - then comes the website itself. Don't worry though, it hasn't been forgotten. We're working on the forum first because generally speaking it's the easier thing to modify with more immediate effect.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007, 06:01:18 am by Kalfireth »

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ok!

Firstly thanks to everyone for their feedback. I believe most if not all of the current changes to the layout of the forum are complete now and I hope everyone finds them beneficial.

If anyone has any problems with the layout etc. or needs something done with regards to all this, please feel free to PM me or use the support forum to raise the issue there. I'm locking this now as an indication that this current stage is complete (unless, as I say, someone needs some sort of help). Thanks again guys! :)