Author Topic: 2335+ Plasma vs Beams  (Read 2462 times)

Offline eliex

2335+ Plasma vs Beams

Having back to the *current* world, ok, unless the excuse is "just a game".
Beam weapons in the *real* world are far one of the more weaker weapons on stats, as the defenses against it are rather common
 < eg a mirror >. On average, the standard force strength against their target is like:

Gunner : So what do you think Commander? Did that beam blast those Martians back to outerspace?
  Commander: What do your eyes tell you?
  Gunner : Wait . . .

< to be concluded with your opinions >

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Plasma on the other hand is so far in the real world one of the most expensive but dangerous weapons ( when it's used as one )

What are the blob turrets made out of?
 If it's plasma, then V < sorry, I don't know where the Volition icon is >  really doesn't know how powerful guns should be.

Re: 2335+ Plasma vs Beams
What real world plasma weapons? Show examples please. And lasers aren't the only beam weapons, particle beams can have some nasty terminal effects too. Besides, you'd need a perfect mirror to bounce off a high powered laser. Also, you'd need to fix any imperfections after each hit, since the waste heat from the photons interacting with the mirror would warp the thing.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
FS's beam weapons are plasma beams, not lasers AFAIK.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline ShadowGorrath

• Not funny or clever
Photon beam cannons with plasma . As seen in the 'Surrender Belisarius !' .

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Beams are highly coherent flows of plasma in the game.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Let's face it, the explanation of FS beams makes no sense... they call them photon beams yet mention the use of plasma. The Lucy weapon was even called a Flux cannon. So which one is it? Looks like [V] couldn't make up it's mind :lol:
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually the only reference to plasma in beams weapons in FS2 I can find is the famous "Commence plasma core insertion." line. It doesn't seem safe to use this to assume that beam weapons are plasma weapons.

Seems more likely the beams are gas plasma laser weapons or the plasma core is part of the fusion engine running a very powerful standard laser. Especially given this.

The Seth's relatively slow cruising speed is deceptive, as its Mekhu-Sahr plasma powerplant can give it an incredible afterburner boost

They are most definitely referred to in the same mission as photon beam cannons in the same mission anyway so I'm not entirely sure where the assumption that they are plasma weapons comes from.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

I'm more inclined to classify them as some sort of particle beam, what with that beam charge thing going on.

They still rip ficken sweet holes through ships, though. Even if you can't see any decals, let alone holes. How come they removed decals from FSO?
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Yes, from that line the commander of the Psamtik gave, it seems that plasma is the energy source of the beams. But plasma is matter and photons are EM waves. It is my guess that some reaction takes place in the 'plasma core chamber' with the result being a direct pulse of pure energy (photons). Whether or not the plasma core is centrally positioned on the ship, or an individual chamber exists for each beam cannon mount I dont know. I'm guessing the second, because the fusion generators and the subspace drive would probably be all the main energy devices a ship could handle.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 12:52:22 pm by CaptainFAT »

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
How come they removed decals from FSO?

IIRC the code was buggy and the materials system should do the same thing better.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
So a beam would be a big laz0r...like the laz0r guns so commonly used on FS2 fighters.. :lol:

I must say that I am very much disapointed in the lack of potency in other ship mounted non-beam weapons (K, Fusion Mortar is OK I guess, altough it doesn't feel like that). The huge blob turrets are a laugh.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

I liked Procyon Insurgency's turrets though. They acted more like how I'd expect turrets to act.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

me too. But the blob projectiles were still so slow they looked like plasma flame throwers instead.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline colecampbell666

• I See Dead Pictures
  • Evolution and ascension.
I remember this exact same argument on GameSpot back in '04, when I discovered the SCP.
Gettin' back to dodgin' lasers.