Author Topic: Raptor by Cool Hands  (Read 3088 times)

Raptor by Cool Hands
Hello there  ;)

I've been playing with this Raptor model for sometime now and  the author is Cool hands which is also the creator of the Mig 343 converted  by Steve O  :D  I took the challenge of converting the raptor using limited tools like Milkshape 3D, Lithunwrap, Paint.net and PCS2 due to my limited skills  in modeling the raptor is not perfect and needs more work although it will run nicely in FS2. the model has no LOD and please don't mind the textures since I'm not much of an expert  sorry :doubt: I will leave it to the community to further improve it. Included in file are VP files for the raptor and Steve O weapon models. I hope you enjoy the model and thanks to FS2 open for the wonderful game  :yes:

Author ---------------- Cool Hands
Converted by ------------------ ME  :D
Awesome weapon models -------------- Steve O

https://mega.co.nz/#!SQ0mAJzL!BB3_cN1hWu6ii1kYNGpH5RNYTZAYeNBVPkOZEUDDTQg

[attachment kidnapped by pirates]
PC Specs
=======
AMD FX 6300 6
Core  running @ 4.3 Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
24 Gb DDR3 memory
750 Watts Thermaltake PSU
AMD R7 370  Graphics
Corsair Air 240
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I am Death Incarnate :mad2:
Sorry but.......You have a focus of a shotgun :P

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Re: Raptor by Cool Hands
First, try to add some details to the texture. You just painted over the whole mesh indiscriminately, which isn't a good thing. Mark intakes, engine exhaust (could use glows, for instance), as well as other bits that are clearly not part of the main hull. Also, make a plain, unpainted texture. Those camo schemes are ugly IMO, I'd rather have a plain version. And definitely don't use blacks in the camo scheme-they make the model look like there was something wrong with the shadows.

Oh, and another thing. Don't think that putting external models over actual, modeled guns is any excuse for not properly texturing them. I'd also appreciate if the obvious turret actually moved around.
That said, it's a nice ship. It needs a lot more work, though. More detailed textures are a must, this looks like a very lazy job that hides most of the model's fine details.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Agree with Dragon. Current texture is IMHO a bit messy, and hides most of the details of this model. Export raw UV layout, use it as individual layer above main diffuse texture. This will help you know where each detail is placed on UV map. If You don't know how to make your own textures, you can use parts of tile textures or everything you can find in FS modding resources.

Also, I would recommend to paint some armor plates. Scooby Doo made a good tutorial about it, with a lot of other useful hints.

As for external weapon models, you can use missiles [attacked to the wings], but don't use primaries! Geometry of the model must be designed with external mounting in mind. I can also see spinal cannon, that IMHO should become individual turret, rather than gunpoint. I saw something like this on one of Steve-O models.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
The Banshee had a nice chin turret. A good idea, IMO. Raptor should definitely have one, too.

:) Thanks for the input guys !! definitely I have a long way to go with the raptor before it pass with flying colors :(  as for the weapons visibility I was doing justice to Steve-O weapons since they are to awesome not to be shown on model when playing it  ;) Ya I have to admit the textures needs a lot of improvement but if you guys wanna have a go at it please feel free to edit it or modify the model to your hearts content and share it to the rest of the community.  :D please any updates or progress if you choose to work on it please  post it here. Thanks !
PC Specs
=======
AMD FX 6300 6
Core  running @ 4.3 Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
24 Gb DDR3 memory
AMD R7 370  Graphics
Corsair Air 240

Offline Colonol Dekker

• HLP is my mistress
  • Aken Tigh Dekker- you've probably heard me
    • My old squad sub-domain
Can we have a P3D please?
Campaigns I've added my distinctiveness to-
- Blue Planet: Battle Captains
-Battle of Neptune
-Between the Ashes 2
-Blue planet: Age of Aquarius
-FOTG?
-Inferno R1
-Ribos: The aftermath / -Retreat from Deneb
-Sol: A History
-TBP EACW teaser
-Earth Brakiri war
-TBP Fortune Hunters (I think?)
-TBP Relic
-Trancsend (Possibly?)
-Uncharted Territory
-Vassagos Dirge
-War Machine
(Others lost to the mists of time and no discernible audit trail)

Your friendly Orestes tactical controller.

Secret bomb God.
That one time I got permabanned and got to read who was being bitxhy about me :p....
GO GO DEKKER RANGERSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
President of the Scooby Doo Model Appreciation Society
The only good Zod is a dead Zod
NEWGROUNDS COMEDY GOLD, UPDATED DAILY
http://badges.steamprofile.com/profile/default/steam/76561198011784807.png

Offline SypheDMar

• Student, Volunteer, Savior
    • Minecraft
****, I know this is oldish, but did you get permission from Coolhand himself? Most of his work isn't free (libre), so that needs to be sorted out before HLP can take it. As far as I know, the reason why he will only allow BP2 to use his model is because it was used before he informed us. I'm pretty sure BP Team removed it anyway because of it's still a non-libre asset.

I dont have the P3d  but I have the original MAX model if interested just PM me. :D
PC Specs
=======
AMD FX 6300 6
Core  running @ 4.3 Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
24 Gb DDR3 memory
AMD R7 370  Graphics
Corsair Air 240

Yes I got permission and it was up for grabs  a long time ago I got lucky :) and  I promised him the model will be used in a mod and no profits will come out of it.

[attachment deleted by nobody]
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 12:15:43 pm by chinaman »
PC Specs
=======
AMD FX 6300 6
Core  running @ 4.3 Ghz
Windows 10 64 bit
24 Gb DDR3 memory
AMD R7 370  Graphics
Corsair Air 240