Author Topic: Donations  (Read 33975 times)

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
We really didn't want it to get to this, but a couple of recent events have forced our hand. First off, our webhost is sucking. Badly, as I'm sure many of you have noticed. We want it to stop sucking. We want a webhost that doesn't go down every few days - heck, that's why we left GameSpy's free hosting a couple of years back in the first place. However, a server that can handle the strain that HLP puts on a system, one from a reliable webhost, costs considerably more than we're paying now.

Secondly, you may have noticed a distinct lack of Google advertisements in the past couple of days. Google discovered that the account we were using was "connected" in some way to our previous account (which had been shut down due to fraudulent clicks) and shut it down as well. Our ad income had been enough to cover monthly costs (on our current, sucky server), and usually a wee bit more, depending on the month. Without it though, we're kinda up a creek without a subspace drive. We're not sure where to turn for advertising income (we'd rather have no ads than annoying, invasive, flashy, PITA ads), so if anyone has any suggestions, let us know - preferably some advertising system that doesn't require a US Social Security number, US tax ID, etc, since 90% of us are not from the US.

Therefore, without any further ado, we have decided to accept donations.

Finally, if some of you would like to support HLP on an ongoing monthly basis, please let us know what kind of sums you're thinking of and we'll get it set up (unfortunately, I cannot set up a monthly recurring payment button in PayPal where the amount per month is left open for the donator to decide - we have to set the amount ahead of time).
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Do you accept Euros?
How much money do you need?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
PayPal accepts at least US, Canadian and Australian dollars, Euros, Yens and Pound Sterlings. Optimally, and I say again, optimally we would love to receive $2400 every 12 months or $200 every month. However, $1200 every 12 months or $100 every month is little more than enough to afford at least a decent dedicated server.

If you need to convert currencies, use The Universal Currency Converter.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm under 18,but I'll do my best...
We are 4800,2 dollars per member(but I'm including non active members too).
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you can and are willing to donate, even a small donation does help. :) But don't worry if you cannot. :)

Also, both HLP and GW admins are intending to come into an agreement to share a dedicated server because we both will have to rely on donations. If you want to donate, you can either donate to HLP or GW and in the end it should help both. It is possible that this joint-project won't succeed, but it is in our best interests to make it happen.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2006, 04:14:38 am by Fury »

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Any ideas how they (Google) found out about the ads?
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Qwer

• If it bleeds, I can mod it
Sorry, Poland is poor country, i'm from rather poor family, and even worse i'm not over-18. :doubt: All i'll be able to afford is one-time 1$. :p I'll send it after 2 weeks after parents will get their payments.
If in your opinion there's no difference beetwen "Master Game" and "Game Master", I can only feel for you.

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I could donate something as a one-off, but I don't think many people will be willing to do it every month. Can we go back to Gamespy? Even if the service sucked (although as far as I remember, it wasn't quite as bad as what we're seeing right now), it was at least free.

As for the ads, I have seen a system called Yahoo Ads that looks similar to Google AdSense (http://www.brickshelf.com has them, for example), so that may be worth a look.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
If I recall correctly, you get a free $5 when you sign up for PayPal.  If you're a poor student but can sign up for an account, you could transfer us the $5 without having to spend your own money. :)

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Crap.

Visa Electron doesn't seem to be good enough a debit card for PayPal. :sigh: :(
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
here in Italy we often use PayPal,but I can't do this...
I:Mom,can I donate some money for HARD Light Productions?
Mom:WHAT?HARD?

I:Dad,please give me the credit card.
Dad:*%*^&*!!!
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I'm pretty sure if I made a joke about your mom that is so obvious, I'd probably get banned so we're not even going to go there.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Any ideas how they (Google) found out about the ads?

Ideas, yes. Knowledge, no. I suspect that when time came to write the first payout check, something lined up with something else and went click.
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
I'm pretty sure if I made a joke about your mom that is so obvious, I'd probably get banned so we're not even going to go there.

Can you be more exaustive?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
If I recall correctly, you get a free $5 when you sign up for PayPal.  If you're a poor student but can sign up for an account, you could transfer us the $5 without having to spend your own money. :)

A credit card is mandatory for PayPal, right ?

Well, I'd gladly pay several bucks for HLP, but I don't have a credit card, and getting one just for that seems a bit overkill. Is there another way to transfer money ?
Hell .... give us a post adress to send money in an envelope ;)
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
I'll have to see what I can do.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Could you belive I'm 24 and wihtout a credit card?

I knew I would need it one day badly and it looks like it has come.. Dang, better go get one.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Is it 1200 a year for an ok server? and 2400 for a good one?

Paypal UK accepts debit cards, including visa electron.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
How?

It just asks me to put in a credit card and I don't have one... I don't seem to find a button that says "Debit Card" on the user interface. :mad:
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.