Author Topic: New race support in or not?  (Read 5873 times)

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
New race support in or not?
I think this is one of the top priorities for the SCP. Always have, really. Let's make things a little easier for them. The main issue here is the tracking down and isolation of every reference in the code to three races and upping it to four, then following its dependancies. What things have been hardcoded to a specific race?
  • Engine glows/thruster ANIs.
  • Flyby sounds.
  • Wingman personas.
  • Briefing icons.
  • Default IFF.
  • Name color in FRED.

I'm not sure what else there is, but this is a start. The main problem is that there is so much code that relies upon the assumtion that there are only three races, that new tables, effects and interface art would be required for the SCP build to work. If it's implemented, there would be a mandatory download of a SCP VP.

That's actually something we should have already. All required tables and art, as well as the new interface art for ballistic primaries, scrollable command briefings, the warp pof and glowmaps should be a mandatory part of the SCP.

Once the code is working, we'll need all the stuff to get it to work. Since we have a canon fourth race already, let's call it Ancients. And to keep it as unbiased as possible, the tables can reference the Terran equivalents. So the default Ancients would be indistinguishable from the Terrans, except that you would have an extra set of engine glows and flyby sounds etc.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline diamondgeezer

Tiara, you do notice the difference between Shivan engines and Teran stuff, right? Besides, sometimes you want a fourth race with a very, very distinctive engine sound and set of flyby efects ;7

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
I still think it would be nicer to do this via a tbl. The game parses the table and sees how many races there are. If you hard code it to be 4 someone will want 5. If you make it 5 TBP will come along and say they need 30 :D

More than new races I want new teams. Again this should be handled by a table which says by default who the new team is hostile to, friendly to and who they ignore completely (and also the colour they are displayed on the HUD).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Originally posted by GalacticEmperor
  • Engine glows/thruster ANIs.
  • Flyby sounds.
  • Wingman personas.
  • Briefing icons.
  • Default IFF.
  • Name color in FRED.
[/B]

• support ship

why do people always forget this one? :D
SCREW CANON!

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Personally I'm in favor of a table.

Namely the species.tbl could be expanded and used to contain the data.
I don't know how those data are hardcoded, but as far as I know from my programing experience it could be easy to just reference to a variable - which you gain from the aformentioned table - or it could be real hard if there's something weird in the way :V: did things. (I can only think of problems with objects, but it could be so since I know little C :sigh:  )
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Different radar color for two different hostile teams would be useful, too. For example if somebody says that the Ancients wouldn't love Terrans, than there would be a second enemy, and if there are ships of both Shivan and Ancient races in the area, then it would be useful to see on the radar which ship is Ancient and which is Shivan.

Probably supports are always forgotten becaue it has not much use. At least of my point.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Mav

Well, support ships would be useful for Multiplayer missions where some players fly as Shivans, for example (I'm already making one and it's quite annoying that Shivans can't call in support ships). I'd say if a player calls in a support ship, FS should check what race he plays (either the one his ship belongs to or something set in Fred) and then send in a support ship of the apropriate species.
Also, I'd like to have the possibility for one species to have more than one support ship; the default one being called in a mission should be set in Fred somewhere. :D
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Mav

Btw for the Ancients: As long as there are no HoL or NTF forces around you can simply set the Ancients as Neutral team and set the "all teams at war"-option. Though I also would like to have more than 4 sides in a battle.
And FS should be able to handle more ships (,subsystems, submodels, etc.) - did you already look into that graphics engine improvement mentioned in the source code readme? Three times as much ships per mission without need for increased hardware would be quite fine with me. :D (Though even more would be still better :cool: ) Please  look into this!
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Mav

Note on support ships:
In MP mode, Shivans (and probably all new races) get rearmed by the first ship in ships.tbl . Was quite funny to get a Dragon rearmed by an Ulysses :lol: . I'm working on a Shivan support ship to place there. (as for this: I do have a fully working Shivan mod [except rearming, of course], might release it in some weeks :cool: )
Still, for singleplayer (campaigns and so on) a source change seems to be needed.
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

my models, now with pics

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by diamondgeezer
Tiara, you do notice the difference between Shivan engines and Teran stuff, right? Besides, sometimes you want a fourth race with a very, very distinctive engine sound and set of flyby efects ;7

Hehe.........

Could you possibly change the code to specify the thruster ani / glow based on an optional table entry or flag?

Offline Tiara

• Mrs. T, foo'!
Originally posted by diamondgeezer

*idea* Make you flyby sound be "f*ck you!" as if it came from a big speaker box on the enemies tail :p
I AM GOD! AND I SHALL SMITE THEE!

...because I can :drevil:

This is too off topic I need a 4th Race with engene glows sounds and all without changing the things ingame I got a tarren race plan, and two others but the 4th is the one that would be a nasty Kill you all thing, but without the FS2 unknown goals for em stuff I hate that in the FS univerce after two full games we still know nothing about the Shivans motives lol makes me laugh.
The Ancients a old and proud reace, one that is not all alone, and I am not one of them, but I am Nouben.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
That's actually something we should have already.

FS2_Open 3.5.3 VP file: http://fs2source.warpcore.org/mediavps/fs2_open353.zip
All required tables

Not included, which table(s) do you mean?
and art, as well as the new interface art for ballistic primaries

Got that
scrollable command briefings

Got that, too
the warp pof and glowmaps

Check
should be a mandatory part of the SCP.

It'll add another 2.7 megabytes or so to the download, but it's possible if Inqui approves it.
-C

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Good, glad to hear it. I assume the splash screens are in there, too. Are those Bob's sucky glowmaps, or my improved ones?
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline WMCoolmon

Code: [Select]

=====Contents:

- All the glow maps for the retail FS2 ships as of February 23, 2003 (By GalacticEmperor)

Yours :nod:
-C

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Tiara

*idea* Make you flyby sound be "f*ck you!" as if it came from a big speaker box on the enemies tail :p

No sound in space :P
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline WMCoolmon

Freespace physics :p
-C

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h

No sound in space :P

No oxygen in space, so no explosion or fire could be created, but there is.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
oxegyen in ships
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
But not in space, and you can see the explosions in space. I don't think we would have to discuss it in this thread.