Author Topic: just a better starfield  (Read 6262 times)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Knight Templar
But then we have to decide what canon delta serpintis starfields look like... along with all the other systems..

And realistically... who cares?
Denser Starfield = Good.
Clunping Starfield = Good
Identical each time for whatever system you're in = Pointless.
Most people don;t evenb care if the nebulae change colours, let alone whether this tiny point of light is in the same place as it was three missions ago.

However, it might be interesting, if this clumping code cant be worked out, to try doing it with PCXes...
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This definitely looks better and more realistic than before. I had this in mind at one point long ago but forgot to bring up the subject here. Since this is really only a question of upping the limit, it will give mission designers the option to use the higher limit while having older missions work as they did before, so there's no reason not to go for it.

The swirling thing is a neat effect but it does indeed get quite annoying when there are that many stars. Is it possible to do it only for a few of them (randomly selected) without dropping the framerate significantly?

I keep the nebulas the same for all missions in a system, but nobody is really going to notice the star thing unless there is some glaring change.

Offline FreeTerran

• Master of the apocalypse
    Reset count: 1
Originally posted by CP5670
The swirling thing is a neat effect but it does indeed get quite annoying when there are that many stars. Is it possible to do it only for a few of them (randomly selected) without dropping the framerate significantly?

It dosen't drop the framrate at my pc
if you want test it at your machine with framrate i could put an debug build on the net ?
Silva in lumine Lunae arcana est. Domos mea Silva in lumine Stellarum est.

Offline FreeTerran

What about this guys ? ;)

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Getting there - could you make the stars bleed a little bit? Really fuse together the groups of stars.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2003, 08:36:09 am by 302 »
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline FreeTerran

Hmm it looks in game other then here try it

http://swooh.com/peon/FreeTerran/starfield/fs2_open_s.rar

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Can't - no FSO build ever works on this comp - memory issues I think.
Rarely Updated P3D.

Offline LAW ENFORCER

• Turret Fiend
    • http://www.armouredstar.com
that is really cool btw... some day people will load up thier old 1998 game and 'patch' it.... then WTF!?!??!?!!!?!?
Conflict GRDLA:
Operation Return To Riker
www.ARMOUREDSTAR.com - the latest site is not finished yet!
[What we have here is the source to the Freespace ENGINE, not the Freespace GAME. By allowing the ENGINE to support all kinds of cool stuff, we're allowing the creation of all new GAMES] - TurboNed

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Now if you could only overlay a small blue glow over those stars, it'd own!
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Originally posted by LAW ENFORCER
that is really cool btw... some day people will load up thier old 1998 game and 'patch' it.... then WTF!?!??!?!!!?!?

there's an idea, get :V: to put a FS_OPEN link up when you update using the launcher.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Originally posted by Raa Tor'h
Now if you could only overlay a small blue glow over those stars, it'd own!

Funny you should mention that - didn't FS have exactly that kind of glow?

Or indeed it could be done Greg Martins way - I strongly recommend Stealth and other starfield making people look up his work and take a note at what "fantastic" is defined as ;)

Offline FreeTerran

Code: [Select]
dist_max = (float) (HALF_RND_MAX * HALF_RND_MAX);
for (i=0; i dist = dist_max;
while (dist >= dist_max) {
v.xyz.x = (float) ((myrand() & RND_MAX_MASK) - HALF_RND_MAX);
v.xyz.y = (float) ((myrand() & RND_MAX_MASK) - HALF_RND_MAX);
v.xyz.z = (float) ((myrand() & RND_MAX_MASK) - HALF_RND_MAX);

dist = v.xyz.x [color=red]*[/color] v.xyz.x [color=red]+[/color] v.xyz.y [color=red]/[/color] v.xyz.y [color=red]+[/color] v.xyz.z [color=red]*[/color] v.xyz.z - v.xyz.y [color=red]/[/color] v.xyz.y;
}
vm_vec_copy_normalize(&Stars[i].pos, &v);

the red market code how could i code it that they randomize the operations ? they shall randomize use +, -, * or /[/B]

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Identical each time for whatever system you're in = Pointless.

If there are recognizable star formations it'd be a nice touch. There have been people who've noticed different colored nebulas. :p
-C

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Seems a bit anal, no? ;)

But if we can do it - we may as well go the whole nine yards and make this open source really special.

When I say we, I mean you.

At least I'm honest.

I'm going now.

Offline FreeTerran

the problem is the stars will be in ever mission the same i must write an random script that we have various missions :sigh:

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
The only other way is to use some sort of Fractal method, where the seed is defined in Fred for each mission, but that really is a hell of a lot of Math for something that most people won't notice :)

Flipside :D

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
I wonder if we could actually map the entier starglobe...

Certain constellations could be mapped for each system, using rho and gamma (horizontal and vertical angle).

Then we should use the same values for the Milky Ways position.
That should define the zone where the cluster generator should work.

The rest of the globe could be filled with various small stars.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
what use would that be? barely anybody could recognize anything from Sol, if you change the angle seeing those stars from another system, there will be nothing to recognize :p
SCREW CANON!

Offline J.F.K.

Hey, I've always wanted this... actually, the stars in IW2 (if you remember them) are really good, if you want some direction to go in. But this bunched up stars is definitely a move in the right direction :nod:
[font="SerpentineDBol"]. . . . W H O . I S . T H E . M A N , . W H O . I S . T H E . M Y T H ?[/font]

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Certainly something in the form of a galactic core would be good - it'd be even better if this was implemented into FRED so that the orientation / direction of the core could be changed so that you could simulate moving around the galaxy...