Author Topic: Cockpit?  (Read 9185 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Just a thought..... FS2 zbuffers both the game engine and the cockpit hud anis together, doesn't it?  

Would it be possible to insert a seperate 'layer' (such as it is) to show a cokpit bitmap or even model, inbetween the hud polygons & actual space 'scene' layers?

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Please oh please oh please oh please....

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
I think he either likes the idea (I'm with that) or he doesn't think it's possible.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It's the latter i'm concerned about.  As in 'oh please, how could you be so bloody daft!?'

:nod:

well, you could try to just model it and place the viewpoint of the player somewhere funny. not sure if it would work though
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Nah - that's not what i mean.  what i mean, is somewhat akin to the way the game renders the hud ani's - AFAIK, they''re actually a flat, fully lit polygon which would be on the bottom of the zbuffer stack.  What I'm thinking, is whether you could create a layer just before that, to place some form of cockpit bitmap or animation there (but which is not visible from external cameras, etc)... um, it's sort of tough to describe, actually.  

I guess the basic summary is - creating a special layer in the z-buffer which fits inbetween the last 'external' buffer (the closest polys 'outside' the ship), but before the stack layer with the hud ani's.  Thogh, now i think of it, would you have to z-buffer the cockpit model if you did?  i mean, there wouldn;t be any overlapping polys, but I guess the projection could throw up some anomlies..... damn, I really need to try this out for myself somehow......

i think that i get what you mean, but really, what is the problem with doing it all with the model itself?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
It'd be wierd..... i mean, if I understand you right, you're suggesting treating it as an ingame model(?) - the only way I can think of, would be to make it for use in chase cam.  But i'm not sure that could work, because IIRC the chase camera isn;t tightly looked to the rear of the ship and soforth.

Plus this sort of thing is more naturally a programming problem, IMO.

what i mean is doing this:

make the ship, and have the cockpit normally covered with a one sided texture, and put your cockpit thingy's inside that. so thatfrom the outside it looks black, and from the inside you se all the things from the cockpit. and then you put the viewpoint for the player in the right place.
now, i am thinking this up as i write, and i only used modelview to look at pof's, so i might be very wrong abouy how FS2 handles viewpoints and one sided textures.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
That's been mooted before, but the problem is that FS doesn;t render any of the player ship when you're inside it, regardless of which way the poly's face.

a, that explains.

Offline Sticks

I was actually thinking about doing this. It really shouldn't be that hard at all, at least in a basic implementation.
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus

Offline Falcon

It can work two ways, view the cockpit zoom out view the ship.
Just a thought.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Sticks
I was actually thinking about doing this. It really shouldn't be that hard at all, at least in a basic implementation.

I'd like to, just to make a point of trying to get my arse in gear and actually learn some code.  Problem is that I'm still waiting on the yoonie releasing the VStudio cds..........incidentally, the idea came from how you described that 'overburn' effect working.  Made me think a bit about how the zbuffer could be exploited.

Maybe you could sort of create a seperate module / object responsible handling the cockpit code, so you could easily partition it (i.e. to start with a simple bitmap then move to an actual model with refinements or direct inheritance/extension), or even just to make it simple to turn on & off.  IMO the main problem *could* be the free look thing (shift + '.' I think).  

Wonder if the pof-viewing code for the actual hud could be utuilkised in some way?

Offline Lightspeed

• Light Years Ahead
dont do it as a model. bitmaps can be VERY detailed and dont slow the game down. If you could rearrange things (radar, targetting box) via table entries you could even specify different cockpits for ship classes and give them that "unique" touch :)
Modern man is the missing link between ape and human being.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
it would be much easier to to it as a bitmap than as a model - and the game performance hit would be less - and it would be easier to "turn the cockpit off"
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline J3Vr6

Sounds like a good idea, I like it.  I especially like Lightspeed's idea on it, with different ships being able to have different inside-cockpits.  I'm not sure if you guys can move the actual "guages" cuz I thought they were hard-coded, but having different setups for different ships would rock.
"I wanna drink til I'm drunk, and smoke til I'm senseless..."
-Tricky

"Hey barkeep, who's leg do I have to hump to get a dry martini around here?"
-Brian, Family Guy

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
so itl be kinda like the cockpit veiw in rouge squadron?
das schweet
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Sticks

lol

Rouge Squadron
"Napalm is good as a quickfire solution, literally..." -- cngn

"Shh... [Kazan's] schizophrenia allows him to multitask." -- Goober5000

Why am I still coding at 12:35am?

SCP: Templum sanctus ingeniosus