Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2675428 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: A celebration of Freespace
Do we even have missions focused on uberships? As I said the "problem" about huge ships is that people blame them because they have never been used in a campaign. Every time you see a pic featuring a super ship, be 100% sure the pic comes from a random test mission.
Yes. High Noon and Bearbaiting. Arguably, Their Finest Hour also qualifies. All three are pretty much agreed to be quite poor.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Said missions were initially supposed to be BoEs, and the number of ships involved got significantly reduced. I wouldn't take them as good examples of what a mission focused on a uber ship should be.

Just cut the prejudice and wait until you get a chance to actually play a mission like that. I hope it will happen soon.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
peh, I spent the entire yesterday making the Amaterasu an invicible super ship with a specail seekret method to kill it (oh how I love you Esarai for that big, long hangar bay area and the severe case of trench run syndrome it suffers from).

Hmmm, there are interesting things. Where can I get the sentries and the cruiser/destroyer in the last screenshot ?

The "sentries" are atcaully ships...well, you could think of them as mobile sentry guns. :P I made them myself when a few days ago while learning to model/UV/texture. Not sure if they're actually good enough to post, I'm afraid I'll get ripped to shreds D:

The ships in the last screenshot are the Hurricane (600m variant), and the UEFg Narayana fropm BP (esarai ver.)
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Is the Hurricane available to the public?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Hmmm, there are interesting things. Where can I get the sentries and the cruiser/destroyer in the last screenshot ?

The "sentries" are atcaully ships...well, you could think of them as mobile sentry guns. :P I made them myself when a few days ago while learning to model/UV/texture. Not sure if they're actually good enough to post, I'm afraid I'll get ripped to shreds D:

The ships in the last screenshot are the Hurricane (600m variant), and the UEFg Narayana fropm BP (esarai ver.)

Damn :( Those sentries looks so cool. I really like the design, the texture.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Is the Hurricane available to the public?

The model itselft is available. But, you don't have any table. :)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!

I don't see any Hurricane in your screenshots.
This ship doesn't look like this. :)

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Really? I see three.

Offline Droid803

Small ones with four engines = Hurricane
Big one with three (six) engines = UEFg Narayana
(´・ω・`)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Ah okay !! I thought there were 3 Blizzards

Offline Droid803

(´・ω・`)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Said missions were initially supposed to be BoEs, and the number of ships involved got significantly reduced. I wouldn't take them as good examples of what a mission focused on a uber ship should be.
And you know this how?

Just cut the prejudice and wait until you get a chance to actually play a mission like that. I hope it will happen soon.
Well make me one and then I'll believe you. Until then, I will keep my fond memories of Bearbaiting and High Noon.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
That's why I told you to wait. Now please let's remain on topic. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'll have to recall Inferno's style of ship design. Those EA ships look so much like Star Wars Imperial warships, and especially with the Icanus, which looks almost looks like an Eclipse star dreadnought; firstly, it's 20 kilometers long (very near from the Eclipse's 17) and has a supercannon: its crust-cracker USilv, quite similar to the Eclipse's mini superlaser. Those EA ships look so attractive that I've made missions portraying the EA as the "Empire".

Anyway, so I've come across the biggest Shivan warship so far again (has the Gargant been released yet?), the SSJ Gigas, and made a mission in which it battles the Icanus. Time-compress it and the fight'll last a tremendous 3 hours long, but if not, they will simply beam each other to death with their main guns: the subspace weapon and 2 UReds for the Gigas, and the USilv for the Icanus. The Icanus usually wins (why?), but for one instance, the Gigas kept on pounding the Icanus with its frontal UReds, the Icanus shot the Gigas and reduced a huge amount of its hull integrity with its USilv, the Gigas does another round of URed-pounding on the Icanus, and finally, the Icanus finishes off the Gigas with its USilv; and, unfortunately, while the Gigas is firing its UReds! So both ships are destroyed.

FEEL THE ETERNAL WRATH OF THE GIGAS!!!

I did this back in 2007, I think. Pitted the Gigas against every other ship in INFR1 in a head-on battle. EVERYBODY DIED!

Except for me.

The Gigas takes a very long time to explode, as does the Icanus. Their final explosion isn't very impressive, though.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Snail

• SC 5
As bad as this sounds I'd actually like to see that with the INFSCP modpack. :nervous:

Mobius? :P

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Icelus :( ...

Anyway... Sip of inspiration :) - GTD Neya, one of the last Orion class destroyer in service in the Spica system:

Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Daaaamn that sun look goood.

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
The aura reminds me of I-War2 coronas. Beautiful.

Offline peterv

In RL it would be visible this way only trough special filters.

But it is coooooollll  :yes:

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Too bad, FSO engine can't do arc beam. :(

A Hurricane V taking down the Emperor

An Askael Drone version against a Phoenix Rising class cruiser

However, I'm not very satisfy with the drone behavior. :( It would be great to mix fighter and capital behaviors in the same AI. If I made the drone as a Fighter or Bomber, the beam miss his target in most attack because the drone went mad and try to target enemy everywhere. And if I made the drone behave like a capital ship, they don't move/strafe/glide around their target and they're just laying doing nothing than fire the beam in the void. But his turrets still fire to the right target.