Author Topic: A celebration of Freespace  (Read 2674185 times)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Re: A celebration of Freespace
No there were definitely baked shadows

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Yes, but only on the city model. The surface mesh was tiled.

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
Seems to me landscape is one of the few places where tilemapping is better.  I suspect it wasn't before because landscapes without shadows look wrong, so they needed to be baked in, but that won't be a problem soon.

Someone tilemap the Moon!
Actually, the moon is tilemapped, there are no baked shadows. The tile size is just so enormous that you don't see it.
Change tile factor
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline Darius

Increased tile factor doesn't look too bad if there's a few hills and valleys to break up the repetition.

Less blurry swiss cheese moon.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
It still looks good, but any sharp-eyed individual will notice the tiles within seconds. This isn't a really big issue unless you get to see most of the moon's surface.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
It still looks good, but any sharp-eyed individual will notice the tiles within seconds. This isn't a really big issue unless you get to see most of the moon's surface.

You don't say. Hey, if you know a way to make a large slab of polygons like that look good without using a bazillion textures, why didn't you tell us?
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Luis Dias

You don't say. Hey, if you know a way to make a large slab of polygons like that look good without using a bazillion textures, why didn't you tell us?

Is it possible to have two textures one on top of the other in any way?

If it is (and I mean in *any* possible way... perhaps Valathil could help us here), the effect can be substantially improved.

This is exactly how I deal with these problems when they appear in my architectural renderings, for instance with grass. I need both a very good texture up close but something else that stops the far away mesh to appear like a tiled carpet. I do this with two textures on top of each other, the one on top with 50% transparency. I use one texture with 1 meter (+-) in size, the second 10/100m in size (depends on the project). The first deals with the fine texture, the second deals with shades of colors, diluting the tile effect. The solution is perfect.

Is this anyway helpful? I know you can't simply put a texture on top of another, but perhaps with an effect?

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
I see only one way to do it, and it'd result in massive z-fighting. Though this does sound like a good idea.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
I am way more interested in mission design and story than in making my space moon dirt look good (this may just be me though!)

Offline Aesaar

In the interest of simple solutions, I'd say obvious tiles are better than blurriness.   Darius' second picture looks just fine.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 02:56:57 pm by Aesaar »

That sounds like how Starshatter does it. There's a noise layer above the tiled texture of the terrain.
Did you hear that fellas? She says I have a Meritorious Unit.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
Someone throw me in the general direction of the texture size needed and some moon references and I'll see if I can make a texture that hides the tiling better (I have an exam this week so this would take a while.)

Edit: also it would be useful to know the location of Luna city on the moon, is it in a mare?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 04:54:18 pm by An4ximandros »

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?

Using a MASSIVE texture :P
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter

Yeah, the is definitely tough with how FSO currently works (lack of materials, etc.). One solution I'd try is by using multiple tiles that have the same repeat edges, but are different otherwise. With clever UV mapping, it could help alleviate some of the repetitiveness of just a straight tile.

Though, the only real problem I have with the latest screen is that all the craters are too perfectly circular. I just happened to have my Gmail open and it's background is currently of the moon. I looked and only a few of the craters were almost a perfect circle.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Nighteyes

Is it possible to have two textures one on top of the other in any way?

yes, the most simple way of doing it is to simply mix them in Photoshop and save them as 1 image and use it as the main texture, this will indeed fix the tiling issue...
only problem with this method is you can't really have any unique texture details, would be a good way to make the gray sand of the moon without those craters(better to model them in anyway)

Offline mjn.mixael

• Cutscene Master
  • Chopped liver
    • Steam
    • Twitter
He means in-game. Like using Composite materials in 3DS Max. That's not possible in FSO currently. One image/map per poly (excluding glow/shine/normal), that's all you get.
Cutscene Upgrade Project - Mainhall Remakes - Between the Ashes
Youtube Channel - P3D Model Box
Between the Ashes is looking for committed testers, PM me for details.
Freespace Upgrade Project See what's happening.

Offline Swifty

• I reject your fantasy & substitute my own
Using a MASSIVE texture :P

Unfortunately John Carmack isn't on the SCP yet so we unfortunately can't implement MegaTexture until 3.7 is out. :P

That's funny, not 5 days ago I was thinking it would be great to have MegaTexturing in FSO^^. So, which is more likely to come first: MegaTexture or Geomod? :P

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
Neither. MegaTexture is a technology that, while neat, isn't necessary in FSO. Geomod is bogus.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Dragon

• Citation needed
  • The sky is the limit.
Just wait till Valathil implements both at the same time. :)