Author Topic: Crysis Warhead... I like it.  (Read 4195 times)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Crysis Warhead... I like it.
Having completed it in a relatively short length of time (my complaint about it) I'm ready for my rather short personal review of Crysis: Warhead.

I liked it. So much so that I'm playing it again.

Anyone remember Project IGI? A game that gave you vast expansive maps to play around in, a nice well fortified position to try and attack using your preferred method and not much room for screw ups?

C:Warhead feels like that, but prettier and with better (though heavily flawed) AI.

The maps feel much more "lush" than the original Crysis, with really enjoyable encounters with the Koreans occupying most of the hostile map areas. Alien encounters are thankfully taken down a notch though still present and on the whole everything feels that little bit more "complete" than before. Curiously - on my machine at least - everything also seems a little more smooth. There are some new weapons which add some nice tactical twists (land mines, AP mines, a couple of new guns and so on - and of course an obligatory super-gun that you don't get till a little too late to appreciate it). There are also some new enemies although there's not much variety here.

Complaints? Well it's a bit too short as I said - though that seems to be a running complaint with most games these days. And also the AI continues to be a little.. iffy. Most of my stealthy encounters involved tranquillizing the nearest enemy then the next and the next - and the rest of the squad almost never registers any interest in their newly unconscious comrade. You'd think that a squad of guards would be a bit more wary about their pals falling over.

All in all though, highly enjoyable - more so than the original Crysis at any rate. I can only hope that Far Cry 2 follows similar veins to this.

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Re: Crysis Warhead... I like it.
very good game.
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
To those who hesitate, just watch this video ! (spoiler inside) :D the game is pretty short, but well for its price, who cares ^^.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 04:01:22 pm by MetalDestroyer »

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
(I'm mortified to find I can no longer edit other peoples posts! :( )

But a disclaimer to the video above, it's a story spoiler. Good footage but consider this a warning if you don't like spoiling the plot.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
(I'm mortified to find I can no longer edit other peoples posts! :( )
WHAT?! You're not an admin anymore!? When did this happen?

Also, what is this? An expansion pack?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Warhead is just awsome. It was a bit on the short side, but for what it lacked in length, it made up for that with everthing else. It runs alot better than the first Crysis. I can run with everthing set to the highest settings and have AA enabled. I could not do that in the first Crysis. The cutscenes in Warhead are alot better in third person than what they were in first person in Crysis. Then ingame music was enjoyable to listen to. I have not enjoyed ingame music like this in a long time. And of course, there is all the cool graphical effects. I just hope enough people buy Warhead as Crytek has said Crysis 2 getting made will depend on Warhead's sales.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Triple Ace, could you give your PC statistics, please? CPU, RAM, and video card?

Offline Turambar

• Determined to inflict his entire social circle on us
  • You can't spell Manslaughter without laughter
I had fun with it too.  I -really- liked that they gave me lots of Gauss rifle ammo.  Who needs a shotgun, just slap the laser pointer on the gauss rifle and you have an extremely capable short range weapon
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats
10:55:55   HerraTohtori: me too!
10:56:01   HerraTohtori: :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I had fun with it too.  I -really- liked that they gave me lots of Gauss rifle ammo.  Who needs a shotgun, just slap the laser pointer on the gauss rifle and you have an extremely capable short range weapon

If for no other reason then this statement alone, I am getting this. The Gauss was my favorite weapon.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Getting CW now..Must have it. Loved Crysis. This is gonna rock.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
This game looks pretty good, although it's reportedly even shorter than Crysis (which was already pretty short). I liked Crysis a lot though so I'll certainly check this out once I get some time to play games.

The performance is supposed to be quite a mixed bag from what I am hearing. Apparently it runs better than Crysis on the "gamer" settings but worse on the "enthusiast" ones, and there are some parts that tank on pretty much any settings. Hopefully I can still use my custom high/very high autoexec from the original game.

Offline Turambar

This game looks pretty good, although it's reportedly even shorter than Crysis (which was already pretty short). I liked Crysis a lot though so I'll certainly check this out once I get some time to play games.

The performance is supposed to be quite a mixed bag from what I am hearing. Apparently it runs better than Crysis on the "gamer" settings but worse on the "enthusiast" ones, and there are some parts that tank on pretty much any settings. Hopefully I can still use my custom high/very high autoexec from the original game.

just turn it off on the ice level and you'll be fine.  they must have some ****ed up shaders or some bugs that need fixing with a patch.
10:55:48   TurambarBlade: i've been selecting my generals based on how much i like their hats

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
im going to find crysis somewhere, i cant seem to find it in Jerusalem but their are probably shops that have the game i do not know about yet. i still got to get an upgrade to my graphics yet, i got held back by having to buy a new monitor and normal billings any such. il download it somewhere for now. if it is any good i will buy it maybe. so crysis 2 comes for anyone else.
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Hellstryker

• waffles
Do you have any idea how big such a "download" would be?  :wtf: And I thought you were against torrenting stuff from the HotU thread...

Offline Al Tarket

• A resident nutcase from Jerusalem.
    • An FSO Modification site
ok as you seem to be pulling other threads into this one, i see it was locked ovbiously for good reasons, i won't let you try and pull me into this reply. if thats your best of trying to find some proof of what i said then thats not good enough. besides if i was to reply back to it, your seem to be looking at the wrong reply anyway.

what i do in my own time is my own business, i don't ask you what you do when you make love to your partner do i?

thats the second time i had to tell someone that they are stepping over this supposed freedom of speech. what a load of bollocks this democratic world is living under. hmm.

to the topic point, if you don't mind.

i have never played crysis, however i have played farcry is it anything like the same?
Cowardice is no selfishness, Friendliness is no enemy and Information is no attack platform.

Judge these words wisely and you might make it through this cruel world.

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Do leave warez moral discussions to topics dedicated to them please, and at that - a conclusion will never be made so it's probably best just not to go there ;)

And to answer your question... it's fairly similar. Massive tropical islands, groups of human AI and alien AI (although in FarCry it was genetically mutated monsters) roaming around set paths and on scripted attacks etc. Although you can roam and attack in any way that takes your fancy - the whole thing is largely linear and you can't skip to the "final encounter" area without completing the levels before it. That said, graphically it's fantastic and quite fun to play - extremely satisfying to execute some attacks successfully and it does capture the feel of "lone super-commando vs everyone else" quite nicely - although in that respect it does lack a certain realism. I guess it all comes to personal taste - if what I've described sounds like your cup of tea then go for it. Certainly if you like vivid tropical environments and guns (who doesn't?!) then check it out :)

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
i played the crysis demo and it was good fun but slower than i wuld have liked. is crysis warhead any better?
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Offline Turambar

If the game is too slow, you're planning too much.  The option is always available to run into a fort with dualie pistols and try to off everyone that way.  I just prefer to sneak around and plant explosives first.

Offline tinfoil

• i'm 13 remember
If the game is too slow, you're planning too much.  The option is always available to run into a fort with dualie pistols and try to off everyone that way. 

that's what made it slow but i prefer to do it with a shotty
Alcibades' Gamble - We Love Our Ice Cream

Everything you need to know, and more can be found at The Freespace Wiki

Triple Ace, could you give your PC statistics, please? CPU, RAM, and video card?

CPU: Core 2 Duo E8500 @3.16 Ghz, Ram: 3GB DDR2 800, Graphics card: Geforce 8800 GT 512MB