Author Topic: UVMapper?  (Read 1671 times)

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
This was originally posted in the Fred2 forum, by Eth. The topic was ways to texture a model made in Blender.

Here's an alternative:
Use 3DExploration to convert the DXF file to an OBJ (wavefront) file.

Get UVMapper and load the OBJ format file into it. Use it to create the default UV space. Save it. (go to www.uvmapper.com  for the program and a tutorial on how to use it).
Note that once you have created the initial UV space, you may select individual sections and remap them according to what is best for that piece, all the way down to the individual face level.

Now you can either load the wavefront file (OBJ) directly into TrueSpace or you can use 3DExploration to convert it to a COB file first.

Texture away to you hearts content, if you take the time to properly map the various pieces, no warped or stretched textures.

Has anyone tried this? Is UVMapper worth anything?

I have a model made in 3DS R3, but there's no real-time texture display (I'd have to render for every adjustment.) I could apply textures there easily enough, if I have to, but mapping it is pretty much out of the question. Will this work?

And, if not...then who really, really likes texture mapping?  

------------------
Sushi- the OTHER white meat!

Accelerate your game-Velocity Mod
Sushi's Freespace Zone-Future home of loads of cool stuff.

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
I tried it but couldn't get the hang of it  
 Maybe if I get some more time to devote to it...

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw- Project Coordinator and modeller of Alternate Reality and official spare wheel of The Perfect Storm...
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Aha!! Maeglamor to the rescue  

There is a realtime texture display in R3, lookie here:

This is below the textures in the materials editor.

First apply the texture to the object by pressing this button:    
Then press this button:    

When you update your texture, just refresh it in the materials editor and it should change on the model. Note that the buttons need to be functional for you to use them, also make sure you're not viewing a wireframe in the object window. If you need any more help ask and I'll see what I can do.

[This message has been edited by Maeglamor (edited 05-23-2001).]

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Uh, the version I have runs in DOS only. I don't have MAX.  

Thanks anyways...

------------------

Offline Martinus

• Aka Maeglamor
    • Hard Light Productions
Oh Doh, I kinda took it for granted....

Sorry man.

Offline Sushi

• Art Critic
Thx anyway. If I had MAX, I would be a very happy man.  

I guess the question is am I better off with TS1 or UVMapper?

------------------

Offline The Claw

• Run! Chickens Incoming!
Well, that's up to you. I have no choice, but I think I'd kill for a copy of 3DS Max  

------------------
"Supernova, ya supernova, supernova goes pop
supernova, ya think it's over but the supernova don't stop" PM5K
Death:"Arnold Judas Rimmer... your life is over. You will travel with me to the-"
#knees death in the groin#
Rimmer:"Remember matey, it's only the good that die young"
"Do not fear the chickens. Become one with the chickens. Respect the chickens and... #BOK!# LEG IT!!!"
The Claw- Project Coordinator and modeller of Alternate Reality and official spare wheel of The Perfect Storm...
"I love the English for three reasons. One, we always beat you at rugby. Two, your wives are always friendly. Three you fought like devils to save us" Old French bloke at my uncles pub.
"One has plenty of time for contemplation while waiting for the endless waves of bad doggie werewolf monsters that chew your toes while you sleep"-Dradeel, BG2