Author Topic: Lexington class heavy carrier  (Read 5875 times)

Offline Lynx

Lexington class heavy carrier
Originally posted by psych
This thread is being started to publically unveil the latest work of the WC Saga.

This next one is the Lexington-class heavy carrier, a vessel that was in service around 2669. If you didn’t know already, this vessel was seen in the Wing Commander Armada game and as the remade Tiger’s Claw in Super Wing Commander. A Special Operations-modified version was the TCS Lexington from Armada. Other “stock” ships of the class include (but are not limited to) the Bradshaw, Kinney, Kennedy, and the Lincoln. For all sakes and intentions, these are the rivals to the newest Kilrathi Bhantkara-class heavy carriers and are comparable in size and tonnage.

Armament is a modernized “WC3-era” loadout: 12 laser turrets and 3 IFF Missile Turrets. Spacecraft complement is 80 fighters, 20 bombers, and 20 support vessels.

Our original intention was not only to modernize this design, but also to make it true to WC canon. The End Run novel makes references to Bainbridge telling Tolwyn, “It’ll be another year before our new heavy carriers come online!”. We are making the Lexington-class to be that new heavy carrier. Also, the End Run novel made references to the newest Confed carriers having three launch bays. With a single fly-through launch bay and two smaller side bays we have put into this model, this fits End Run quite nicely.

Here are the pictures. It should be noted that the ship model and textures are the real model, and what it looks like is exactly what you’ll see in WC Saga.

Credits are as follows: model by Eder Vieito, and textures by Michael “Lynx” Lechner.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2004, 03:47:14 pm by 1264 »
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Rictor

• Murdered by Brazilian Psychopath
I like it, and that quite something considering I'm not generally a fan of the WC style of ships. Great texturing all round.

:yes: :yes:

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
Looking good ( tho I remember the one in armada being more flat, but maybe that's just me ).
SCREW CANON!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Are the other Armada ships going to find their way into this mod?
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Nico

• Venom
Yeah, the shok'lar was cool.
SCREW CANON!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
shok'lar was both armada and prophecy
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Viper61

Shok'lar is just from Armada, the only Kilrathi we see in Prophecy are the Dralthi, Vaktoth, and Corvette (all originally from WC3).

C-ya

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i meant to type privateer

Offline Viper61

The Dralthi, Gothri, and Salthi fighters and the Kamekh corvette were the only Kilrathi in Privateer.  The Shok'lar only appears in Armada (though the Privateer Salthi does look alot like the Shok'lar).

C-ya
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 01:59:10 pm by 1745 »

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
maybe they called it the Salthi - it looks like the same ship to me

Yeah, it's originally the Salthi model from Super Wing Commander. (As is the Lexington itself, actually). It put in an appearance in both Righteous Fire and Armada.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2004, 07:35:59 pm by 794 »
"I think they all look great. None of the appendages look like a dick."
"Your mind hurts me." - Shrike

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
SWEET
I hate My signature!

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
The Shok'lar was awesome, especially how they did the cloaking device :)
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
Lex in action: Picture 1, Picture 2
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Mav

Yeah, Shok'lar was my favorite WCArmada fighter :D . I already thought about making a model for it, but as I don't have that much time it might take quite a while; so - if someone else does it I'd be fine with it, if not I'll try sometime in the future. :)

... And as I never found out where I had to go to continue the RF story I also never found out what that Shok'lar/Salthi was all about ... :(

... And that carrier model looks very nice. :)

[Edit: And what was that Super Wing Commander? :confused: I already heard about it but coudn't figure it out. :( ]
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 02:45:52 pm by 1266 »
-__ o_O___O_o
I______O_O_______dragons
________o

-----------------------------------
capship shields DO WORK !!!
my models, now with pics
test mission for commanding capships
-----------------------------------
suffering from a late stage of BoE-infection - DON'T call a doctor, it's too late for that anyway ;o)

Offline Lynx

Super Wing commander is the Mac version of WC1. It's quite different from the PC version, featuring high res sprites for the ships, different ship designs (as said, the Lexington design was the Tigers Claw in SWC), the main characterwas named Armstrong instead of Blair and some other differences I do not remember.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Nico

• Venom
well, Blair wasn't named blair until WC3, before, he was some unnamed guy with blue hair ( get it? blue hair, Blair ). So voila :)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Tolwyn

• The Admiral
  • Administrator
  • Ridiculously Old Fraud
    • Wing Commander Saga
heh...

here, running SWC on my windows workstation ;)
Wing Commander Saga: A Legend Is Reborn | WingCenter

Tolwyn’s reputation for risk taking with other people’s lives was considered  to understate the facts. The admiral’s willingness to sacrifice anyone or anything to achieve his objectives had long been lauded in the popular press. He was “the man who got things done”.- Colonel Blair

No errors, no random CTDs, just pure fun and proof of why getting hit with missiles is a bad thing.
-WC Saga's beta tester

Report Wing Commander Saga bugs with Mantis

Offline Lynx

Damn this makes me wish that we had cockpits in WCS:)

Offline Ryx

• Twilight Falling
  • Away in RL land. Back later.
Looking good! :)
Intel C2D E6850|4Gb RAM|Abit IP35 PRO|ATI X1900 XT