Author Topic: BP: War in Heaven discussion  (Read 918095 times)

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
Re: BP: War in Heaven discussion
A thought. The Carthage is damaged but captured (I imagine this may be the canonical proceeding of the story), they have the colony ship from AoA which is made of Orion parts. Wouldn't swapping damaged parts from the Carthage with those from that ship (although outdated) allow for a surprise destroyer, a trump card? Although I remember vague mention of the colony ship having a secret mission.

Nope, the Carthage was/is a top-of-the line Combat Evaluation warship. I don't think that the parts of a 50-year old incomplete Orion hulk like the Sanctuary is going to do much good to the Carthage.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
And even if you wanted to do that, the question is why you would want to. Sanctuary is 50 years old, has spent most of that time in hostile environments, and her combat systems are too old to make her a good choice in a modern combat setting. All you would get is a destroyer-sized target.
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Didn't the sanctuary
Spoiler:
defect at the end of AoA?

Well. I actually regret that I was so enthusiastic about new act. :D Everything that I have hated in BP, came back with double force. Nagari, mysticism, "the Chosen One" stuff :doubt:<I see such things in many games, books, etc.>. Sometimes I have enough of this.

I know, I know this is a spine of this story but it's not my favourite style of making Freespace-related stories. I simply do not share the BP's phenomenon :D 

But please don't get me wrong. I still like many parts of the story. UEF-GTVA war (I'm a Fed supporter from the beginning :D), politics stuff, UEF's technology and much more. That's why War in Heaven 1 is still the best part of BP in my opinion. I also admire BP's crew for their talent, energy for work and many new technical ideas (some them were very good, others not.) FREDing especially, I've learned a lot from Your missions guys ;) 

That is all. Only my humble opinion. I hope that you will continue your work without any problems :D

Offline Nyctaeus

• The Slavic Engineer
  • My "FS Ships" folder is 582gb.
    • Minecraft
    • Exile
To be honest, I have to agree with Hornet. I was expecting something as good as Chrysalis and Apotheosis, but Tenebra isn't that good. Most of the new systems aren't instinctive. This is too much tactics for big battles and events, but our light stealth fighter is too weak to hold us as a field general. Too much depends on our player. And "Nothing is true. Everything is permitted"? I've heard this somewhere. Too much Assasin's Creed... I enjoyed the new graphics, new models, Toutatis with new guns is badass but I prefer previous acts. I hope Act IV will be more like I and II acts of BP.
Exile | Shadow Genesis | Inferno | Series Resurrecta  | DA Profile | P3D Profile

Proud owner of NyctiShipyards. Remember - Nyx will fix it!

All of my assets including models, textures, skyboxes, effects may be used under standard CC BY-NC 4.0 license.

Offline -Sara-

I hope that Act 4 will be nothing like 1, 2 or 3, but that it is innovative and new yet again like each previous act has been.
Currently playing: real life.

"Paying bills, working, this game called real life is so much fun!" - Said nobody ever.

Offline FSW

When Acts 4 and 5 are released, will they pull data from our Act 3 save files? Will our choices have consequences?

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Yes, the plan is to have act 3, 4 and 5 in a single campaign.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Gray113

• There comes a time when the odds are against you,
So our choices could affect the final mission? For example

The last stand of Third fleet against the 15th Battlegroup in Earth orbit - Steele destroys the Toutatis but Calder manages to take down the greater part of the battlegroup using aggressive/suicidal tactics and cripples the Atreus.

Based on the choices player has made in previous missions the last mission involves a choice between aiding First fleet in a desperate defence of the secret project from the Phoenicia/Vengeance battlegroup and potentially saving the UEF whilst Steele escapes to fight another day

or

Going all guns blazing to slaughter the remains of the 15th, getting revenge on Steele but potentially losing the war
« Last Edit: January 13, 2013, 03:51:16 pm by Gray113 »

Offline Veers

So we should be using a single pilot file for all of BP, or just WiH?
Current Activities/Projects: Ideas and some storyline completed.

ArmA 2&3 Mission Designer and player.

WoD - I like Crystal. <3

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
"Nothing is true. Everything is permitted"? I've heard this somewhere. Too much Assasin's Creed...

Well, Assassin's Creed got the phrase from somewhere, and the fact that the phrase originally associated to the Assassins is also referenced to in Blue Planet is more of a case of some similar elements (although Fedayeen and Assassins are actually not all that similar), than any reference or mimicry of Assassin's Creed.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Well. I actually regret that I was so enthusiastic about new act. :D Everything that I have hated in BP, came back with double force. Nagari, mysticism, "the Chosen One" stuff :doubt:<I see such things in many games, books, etc.>. Sometimes I have enough of this.

I know, I know this is a spine of this story but it's not my favourite style of making Freespace-related stories. I simply do not share the BP's phenomenon :D 

But please don't get me wrong. I still like many parts of the story. UEF-GTVA war (I'm a Fed supporter from the beginning :D), politics stuff, UEF's technology and much more. That's why War in Heaven 1 is still the best part of BP in my opinion. I also admire BP's crew for their talent, energy for work and many new technical ideas (some them were very good, others not.) FREDing especially, I've learned a lot from Your missions guys ;) 

That is all. Only my humble opinion. I hope that you will continue your work without any problems :D

Rest assured that none of us are a fan of the 'chosen one' trope either. While Laporte will remain central to the narrative - in order to keep the player central to the narrative - she'll never have superpowers or be able to single-handedly change the course of a war by any means beyond those available to the ordinary human. We're always interested in subversion.

Offline An4ximandros

• Transabyssal metastatic event
There are plenty of "War Stories" to be found in the community.
 I, for one, am glad the BP crew tries experimenting and weaving all these elements. Mixing spaceships, semi-realistic elements and Cthulhu got my interest hooked, granted I have stopped playing games for "story" a long time ago, so you got a head start on me.
 So far I can only say I liked what you have done with Freespace, the GTVA, Earth, The Shivans, everything.

I do have a question however: Will we see more "Field Commander" and "Frigate/Cruiser" command missions?

Lastly, my hats are off to all your FREDers for working their asses off making "new games" within the SFS genre, that's a feat of galactic magnitude from where I stand. To me it's the work, blood and seat put into something that determines if it's art or not, and BP is art on my book thanks to these.

I look forward to more B.P. Lovercraft. ;) Oh and... DAT ENDING

Offline Jellyfish

• No relent
Being able to C31 Cthulhu sounds quite awesome, I say. Hope BP gives us that chance.
"A weapon is only as powerful as its wielder. With this weapon, you'll be but an annoyance, which would greatly dishonor it. With this weapon, I can change history. With me, this weapon can shape the universe."

First post in a while, just wanted to congratulate the BP crew on the release and offer my praise for act 3. While I can understand why many found the new gameplay elements jarring with how they were introduced, I didn't find them too difficult to get the hang of with reasonable speed. Granted, there were a few restarts here and there, but nothing annoying. Her Finest Hour in particular was excellent, in my opinion.

On top of that, I'd like to acknowledge that I really like the effort you guys have put into making the aliens of BP as, well, alien as possible. Too many people that I know are obsessed with clean, easily understandable origin stories and motives for the Shivans. I prefer them being treated as monolithic and beyond our ken (hurr) for once. At the same time, I like they it wasn't simply stated "You will never understand these beings." Too many authors will simply borrow a page from Lovecraft and slap this element on their alien hellbeasts and assume it makes them scary. An alien that is actually made to be inscrutable and has visible evidence to back this up, as opposed to us being informed that it is, is infinitely more menacing.

The only real criticisms that I can offer are to simply dial back on the in-combat dialog a bit. This was an issue I'd mentioned I had with the first WiH release, and it applies here as well. When conversations are occurring while I'm desperately trying to dodge Auroras after blowing something up, it becomes rather hard to divert attention to the top of the screen to ensure I don't miss lines.

So there. I consider Tenebra an excellent release, and you have my rapt attention with the story. I look forward to seeing where you take it and how things will end for Laporte. And the Gefs still remind me of Third-World Ousters.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2013, 02:35:53 am by PsychoLandlord »

Offline docfu

The only real criticisms that I can offer are to simply dial back on the in-combat dialog a bit. This was an issue I'd mentioned I had with the first WiH release, and it applies here as well. When conversations are occurring while I'm desperately trying to dodge Auroras after blowing something up, it becomes rather hard to divert attention to the top of the screen to ensure I don't miss lines.

Actually this does raise a question for me: When you speed the game up using right-shift <>, why doesn't the dialog speed up as well? It seems the dialog usually gets backlogged for a while. I found this on my xth time flying Universal Truth looking for the laughing man.

I guess it's not a game-breaker though.

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
Each dialog line stays for at least long enough for the ani to play, plus one second or two, IIRC.
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline Flak

My only 'complains' probably I don't get to fly some of the new fighters, and the last part a little dark themed.

At least now I know that 1337 on the Masyaf means something

Offline Crybertrance

• Conventional warheads only, no funny business
I wonder if we ever get to fly alongside the Fedayeen again...The relationship between wingmates was so short...some part of me wanted more of them.
<21:08:30>   Hartzaden fires a slammer at Cybertrance
<21:09:13>   Crybertrance pops flares, but wonders how Hartzaden acquired aspect lock on a stealth fighter... :\
<21:11:58>   *** The_E joined #bp [email protected]
21:11:58   +++ ChanServ has given op to The_E
<21:12:58>   Hartzaden continues to paint crybertrance and feeding the info to a wing of gunships
<21:14:07>   Crybertrance sends emergency "IM GETING MY ASS KICKED HERE!!!!eleventy NEED HELPZZZZ" to 3rd fleet command
<21:14:50>   Hartzaden jamms the transmission.
<21:14:51>   The_E explodes the sun

I wonder if we ever get to fly alongside the Fedayeen again...The relationship between wingmates was so short...some part of me wanted more of them.
I really hope so, I found myself getting quite attached to them, especially Thorn.