Author Topic: 3.6.8 Screenshots (WARNING: Not 56k friendly!)  (Read 84018 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
Re: 3.6.8 Screenshots (WARNING: Not 56k friendly!)
Screenshots don't use RLE (don't want the performance cost), they are just uncompressed TGA.  An RLE decoding issue wouldn't preduce a viable image, and since the encoding runs with the origin, if the screenshots were RLE encoded he probably wouldn't be able to get anything but a garbled image anyway.

The origin is on the bottom though, as is standard with OpenGL, and not in the upper left.  But you've got to have a seriously badly written TGA reader to get that very basic format feature wrong.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
In that case it's even more surely an issue with the TGA reader... :rolleyes:

I don't know why I thought they used RLE. Might be the fact that I've sometimes saved a screenshot with a new name, and GIMP automatically offers RLE to be used... that might have given me that impression. Ah, whatever.
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Well, i never had gimp installed. So i could never view tga's unless i was in linux(mepis image viewers are superior to windows xp img viewer). So i got a batch tga to jpg convertor, then i coiuld view the image with windows image viewer. I still can't view tga's to this day in windows without gimp. So i think my problem is the image convertor i have.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Well, i never had gimp installed. So i could never view tga's unless i was in linux(mepis image viewers are superior to windows xp img viewer). So i got a batch tga to jpg convertor, then i coiuld view the image with windows image viewer. I still can't view tga's to this day in windows without gimp. So i think my problem is the image convertor i have.

get irfanview for god's sake! do it!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline bfobar

my screenshot of my attempt to fred the front of the box picture made it into wikipedia! YAY!

Offline Backslash

• Bring Our Might To Bear
 :yes:
bfobar, may I have this mission file?  I wanna try stuff ;7

...and yes, irfanview is a nice simple viewer for tga and more.  It can read some DDS formats with the plugin pack, too.

Offline bfobar

:yes:
bfobar, may I have this mission file?  I wanna try stuff ;7

...and yes, irfanview is a nice simple viewer for tga and more.  It can read some DDS formats with the plugin pack, too.

I can upload that later tonight.

I had the grand idea once of making all the cutscenses, intros, and ani briefing animations into fredded movies with the SCP code. then I realized I don't know how to make a mission into a movie and was too easily distracted to teach myself. getting 60 scorpions to pour out of the lucifer in front of a blood red nebula and backlit was really cool looking though.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Yarr, bump.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline RavenTS

• www.KULTLOESUNGEN.de

Hell, this pic is a nice one..!  :nod:

Most of the shots are awesome.

I say most because if you look back a few pages, you'll see some absolute crap I posted.  :p
I have gotten better at taking pics though (thank god).

Here's my most recent (from my WIP campaign!):

I think I may have been pointing a little too close to the sun, but its hard to see the debris otherwise.
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
what IS that?

That is a Het-Ka that has been blasted to hell (hence the debris). :D

Het-Ka= Vasudan superdestroyer. Two of these are about an even match for a Sathanas.

As for what blasted it to hell... you'll have to wait till the campaign to see! ;)
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
That is a Het-Ka that has been blasted to hell (hence the debris). :D

Het-Ka= Vasudan superdestroyer. Two of these are about an even match for a Sathanas.

As for what blasted it to hell... you'll have to wait till the campaign to see! ;)

Er, which campaign?

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.

If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Er, which campaign?

Mine. Dreamcatcher. I will say no more about it on this thread because if I do the mods will get mad at me for spamming a thread. :D

@Admiral Nelson: Very nice. Which campaign is that? I don't recognize the ship names...

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
It is the stock FS2 campaign.... :)
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Really... wonder why I don't recognize the mission? Hmm... need to replay it I think.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
"King's Gambit".
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
"King's Gambit".

The bombing mission where you intercept capital ships, or the one after that where you attack the NTD Vindicator?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
You can see RBCs and the Hedetet in that shot, so it's definetly "King's Gambit", where you take out NTF cap-ships & others entering through the Capella-Gamma Draconis jumpnode.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!