Author Topic: UW Act I Demo Release  (Read 127646 times)

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Re: TVWP Act I Demo Release
PEBKAC

Offline Ziame

• ED ftw
Rabbinic Judaism had a good start with the Old Testament but kinda missed the point about 2000 years ago

ALL HAIL HERRA
/fan of BlackHole

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair

Offline Vrets

I'm downloading this again.

I trust that TVWP functions with 3.6.12?

I'm so trusting.

Offline CaptJosh

Played through it with no hitches on a 3.6.12 build. Seems fine.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Looks like the kinks are dead for me... Can anyone upload them to another mirror?

Offline The E

• He's Ebeneezer Goode
  • Nothing personal, just tech support.
    • Steam
    • Twitter
If I'm just aching this can't go on
I came from chasing dreams to feel alone
There must be changes, miss to feel strong
I really need lifе to touch me
--Evergrey, Where August Mourns

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Indeed.  The Act II demo release also includes a bugfixed and improved Act I.

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
The Act II demo release also includes a bugfixed and improved Act I.

Oh, is it coming out soon?I saw it.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Captain Oblivious strikes again! :p

Honestly, I just posted on Monday that your title is one of the most consistently demonstrated on HLP. :D

Offline MatthTheGeek

• Captain Obvious
  • Frenchie McFrenchface
I don't even know why I have a custom title myself...
People are stupid, therefore anything popular is at best suspicious.

Mod management tools     -     Wiki stuff!     -     Help us help you

666maslo666: Releasing a finished product is not a good thing! It is a modern fad.

SpardaSon21: it seems like you exist in a permanent state of half-joking misanthropy

Axem: when you put it like that, i sound like an insane person

bigchunk1: it's not retarded it's american!
bigchunk1: ...

batwota: steele's maneuvering for the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: you mispelled grâce
Awaesaar: grace
batwota: oh right :P
Darius: ah!
Darius: yes, i like that
MatthTheGeek: the way you just spelled it it means fat
Awaesaar: +accent I forgot how to keyboard
MatthTheGeek: or grease
Darius: the killing fat!
Axem: jabba does the coup de gras
MatthTheGeek: XD
Axem: bring me solo and a cookie

Offline starlord

Very interesting...

Forgive me, but I was wondering: does the prelude of the TVWP cover also the fight between the initial conflict earth and luna (the one where the damocles was first deployed)?

this would mean that would be the first space engagement in freespace Fanon continuity, right?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
TVWP fanon, anyway; there is no single fanon continuity.  And yes, that's probably the first space engagement.

You won't find that in the TVWP because it happened around a hundred years before the Unification War.  The combat probably wouldn't look anything like FreeSpace combat.  However, we do provide a partial backstory in the tech room.

Offline starlord

Oh I see! Pity!

well some atmospheric mods could perhaps at some point cover that arc of the story: I remember defcon freespace having an opening for plot ideas... this might be the conclusion of the defcon era: the war between spacers (luna) wishing for earth independence and earth barely recovering from global turmoil and the beginning of space conflicts... this actually reminds me of the ben bova books (moon war).

just my 2 cents though...

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I'm playing through the upgraded version of Act 1 (maybe I should have posted this on the other thread?) with the intent of completing it. I don't remember when and how I stopped playing the previous of Act 1, and I have to admit that it was a mistake.

I like TVWP's approach on things, it's original and makes FreeSpace 1's outdated assets look like extraordinary achievements in the history of space combat. Great work!

FREDding is nice, but I would have changed something here and there. For example, in the second mission:

Spoiler:
During the second replay, I know since the beginning that one of the Elysium transports is about to board a Chronos freighter. I position myself so that I can shoot at the transport as soon as its IFF turns to hostile, and then I realize (after depleting half of my ammo) that it's either invulnerable or guardianed. With the remaining ammo, I couldn't complete the mission and had to replay it a third time.

I found other glitches, maybe I should take note of them and post a report. I'll start doing it tomorrow.

More in general, I...

Spoiler:
...think you should have added directives since the very beginning.

I know they may kill the purpose of primitive sensors ("Destroy Fighters [6]" clearly says that there are 6 enemy fighters around, even if the player and his wingmen don't have the technology to monitor their movements), but IMHO they're necessary to prevent confusion. The problem can be easily solved by linking directives to events and adding the third argument so that directives don't seem too "prophetic" until the inception of advanced sensors. In addition to that, the advantage given by sensors may be boosted even more by directives which give the impression that onboard computers analyze all sensor data and determine the exact number of friendly and enemy assets whose military importance is critical.

Just a suggestion, of course. :)

P.S.
I see you used the word Serendipity. I was so surprised when I read it. ;) (Goober probably knows what I'm refering to: a look at INFA's private board would be enough.)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Droid803

• Trusted poster of legit stuff
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\ Do you want to be a Magical Girl?
Well, I'm pretty sure people can COUNT how many fighters there are when they're approaching.
You don't need sensors to do that.
(´・ω・`)
=============================================================

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Yes, but sensors are much more precise and reliable, unless there are stealth fighters around.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
Protip: you can get around the 'destroy fighters (6)' problem by simply using destroyed-or-departed instead of is-destroyed-delay. It prevents the numbers from showing up.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
P.S.
I see you used the word Serendipity. I was so surprised when I read it. ;) (Goober probably knows what I'm refering to: a look at INFA's private board would be enough.)
Not rly.  I tend to stay away from the INFA board because I'm looking forward much more to the next release of Inferno proper.

But Serendipity is a cool word. :nod:

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Protip: you can get around the 'destroy fighters (6)' problem by simply using destroyed-or-departed instead of is-destroyed-delay. It prevents the numbers from showing up.

That is not a wise choice when hostile fighters are expected to escape during the mission. Not that it's going to happen so often, though...

Not rly.  I tend to stay away from the INFA board because I'm looking forward much more to the next release of Inferno proper.

But Serendipity is a cool word. :nod:

Indeed. :)
The Lightblue Ribbon