Author Topic: Halo: Reach  (Read 55342 times)

Offline SPARTAN-367

• Olly olly oxen free
    • SPARTAN-367 (PAT)
You guys should see Halo: ODST Gameplay

Plus Bungie Announced Halo: Reach

I can't wait I love the first Halo book!  :eek2:
- SPARTAN-367 (PAT)

Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied.

"TROOPERS we are GREEN, and very very MEAN!"

Offline Vidmaster

• Inventor of FS2 bullettime ;-)
Devoted member of the Official Karajorma Fan Club (Founded and Led by Mobius).

Does crazy Software Engineering for a living, until he finally musters the courage to start building games for real. Might never happen.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As long as Halo focuses on the gritty, beautifully non-conventional war story (terribly Freespace-like, actually) of Human vs. Covenant instead of the mess that the Forerunner/Flood backstory has become, I will be very pleased.

Offline SPARTAN-367

• Olly olly oxen free
    • SPARTAN-367 (PAT)
As long as Halo focuses on the gritty, beautifully non-conventional war story (terribly Freespace-like, actually) of Human vs. Covenant instead of the mess that the Forerunner/Flood backstory has become, I will be very pleased.

Agreed. The Flood/Forerunner can get out of hand and ruin but so far its okay.

But hey the first book which this game will be based on is all about the Humans vs. Covenant and I'm happy as well.

Here are the trailers. There Finally Up.

Halo: ODST (BAD QUALITY CAM) ... http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-halo-3-odst/49979 Second Part: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-halo-3-odst/49977
Halo: Reach ... http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-09-halo-reach/49988
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 03:19:53 pm by SPARTAN-367 »
- SPARTAN-367 (PAT)

Without Knowledge, Skill cannot be focused. Without Skill, Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength, Knowledge may not be applied.

"TROOPERS we are GREEN, and very very MEAN!"

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
So, any further details what Halo: Reach is gonna be... shooter, RTS, or what?
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline BloodEagle

• Bleeding Paradox!
    • Steam
Am I the only one who sees the title as innuendo?  :nervous:

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Judging by the Kotaku comments, probably not.

Offline Aardwolf

• Minecraft
So yeah, what genre?

Edit: I mean as far as gameplay, not theme (I know it's sci-fi)

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Probably shooter.

*sigh* They better really mix the gameplay up, or...ugh. Bungie needs to get out of its rut. Halo 3 was a lovingly polished and solid experience, but it lacked the soaring ambition or beauty of Halo 1. I'd rather have that kind of flawed masterpiece than a comfortable follow-up.

Offline Rhymes

• Galactic Mediator
  • Fatum Iustum Stultorum
Probably shooter.

*sigh* They better really mix the gameplay up, or...ugh. Bungie needs to get out of its rut. Halo 3 was a lovingly polished and solid experience, but it lacked the soaring ambition or beauty of Halo 1. I'd rather have that kind of flawed masterpiece than a comfortable follow-up.

*cough*Halo 3:ODST*cough*

Ahem...don't mind me... :nervous:
If you don't have Knossos, you need it.

“There was a button," Holden said. "I pushed it."
"Jesus Christ. That really is how you go through life, isn't it?”

I thought Halo 3 was too full of next-gen gamin cliches.

I.E. Covering up bad repetitive game design with beautiful graphics and completely ruining the immersion for me by adding that stupid helmet overlay and still not including a static health bar or any sort of health bar at all. Halo 3 was decent, but it was by far the worst in the entire series. I'd pick Halo Wars over Halo 3. Halo: CE was by far the best, as it included the health bar underneath the shield, implementing the perfect blend of tactical battlefield strategy and FPS survival.

Hey!!! I love the Forerunner back-story! :(

Agreed, though, both ideas I think are a masterpiece. Especially the books, except for Contact Harvest, which I lost interest at around the time they talked about Avery getting drunk. I've been told it's right up my alley with the forerunner stuff though, so I need to ask my friend to give that book back.
Fun while it lasted.

Then bitter.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Probably shooter.

*cough*Halo 3:ODST*cough*

Ahem...don't mind me... :nervous:

It's a side story, and engine-wise it's just not going to be much different.

I thought Halo 3 was too full of next-gen gamin cliches.

I.E. Covering up bad repetitive game design with beautiful graphics and completely ruining the immersion for me by adding that stupid helmet overlay and still not including a static health bar or any sort of health bar at all. Halo 3 was decent, but it was by far the worst in the entire series. I'd pick Halo Wars over Halo 3. Halo: CE was by far the best, as it included the health bar underneath the shield, implementing the perfect blend of tactical battlefield strategy and FPS survival.

Hey!!! I love the Forerunner back-story! :(

Agreed, though, both ideas I think are a masterpiece. Especially the books, except for Contact Harvest, which I lost interest at around the time they talked about Avery getting drunk. I've been told it's right up my alley with the forerunner stuff though, so I need to ask my friend to give that book back.

I loved the helmet overlay!

And I like the Forerunner back story a lot. But it's clear that they had some very interesting twists lined up for it, foreshadowed in Halo 2...which were summarily discarded in favor of making Halo 3 easier to understand for preteen boys.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
wait... what the heck was the helmet overlay?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
The fact that the HUD looked 3D and had a general outline of a Spartan visor, instead of being flat.

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
The fact that the HUD looked 3D and had a general outline of a Spartan visor, instead of being flat.
Which was a great idea, an homage to Metroid Prime and Republic Commando.

As a basic FPS, Halo: ODST looks pretty good. That orbital drop looks dead sexy, and the usual Halo gameplay is at the very least diverting, and occasionally excellent. I'm not banking on it being particularly good, but there are definitely worse games out there to buy.

Halo: Reach... well, **** it. Last time I trusted Bungie enough to pay $110 for Halo 3, they ended up telling all as assholes who enjoy story and compelling narrative to **** off. Right to our faces. With feces.

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
and what's all this ODST nonsense?
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Full-price expansion set deal. Actually looks really good. I was expecting to be underwhelmed, but...if that Firefight mode is as good as Gears of War 2's 'Horde' mode was, it ought to be worth it.

Offline StarSlayer

• Men Kaeshi Do
    • Steam
Yeah ODST looks pretty interesting, though I admit I was blown away by the Halo 2 E3 demo and that ended up being ten times more interesting then the finished product.  You know the one that looked like an actual insertion at dusk into a embattled city?  This little gem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoqGLS1U6GQ.  As opposed to the foolish, "chase the shiny metal crab bot" over the city we ended up with?  Now I don't subscribe to the whole hating Halo because its fashionable schtik so many people have.  I found them all a fun ride and worth my time and effort.  That said I was pretty disappointed when the gritty New Mombassa siege promised in the demo evaporated in the finished product.
“Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world”

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I agree. That demo was the best thing Halo's ever done. Even the little stuff - the gun sounds, the art style, the effects. But they had to ditch it all because the Xbox couldn't handle it.

Hopefully, between ODST and Reach, they'll recapture some of that awesome atmosphere.

Offline Mikes

As far as Halo goes... i enjoyed the backstory.

... but even in the first game:  Storming the same absolute identical room full of Covenant for the xth time kinda made it clear to me that the series kinda isn't the "pinnacle" of game design that it's often hyped up to be LOL.