Author Topic: Subspace - line of sight or not?  (Read 11154 times)

Offline Slasher

Subspace - line of sight or not?
Ever since I finished FS2 for the first time, I've always wondered whether travelling in subspace was a line-of-sight matter.  I can't really come to a conclusive answer because of the slightly contradicting information FS2 offers.  For instance, when RTBing in any regular mission you're not required to point your fighter back in the direction of the Aquitaine before initializing your subspace jump.  Yet in the command briefings they clearly show a line linking one system to another.  I think the line may just be a representation, a symbol perhaps, to show how one jump node leads to the other.  Still, when you're playing the last mission in the original FreeSpace, the subspace effect gives the impression the Lucifer is travelling down a "subspace corridor".  So, is it possible the line-of-sight thing only holds true for intersystem jumps, and intrasystem jumps involve the simple affair of activating your jump drive and ending up where you want?  Or do I have it all wrong?

And, if it doesn't hold true to the line-of-sight theory, doesn't that mean that all those subspace interdictor cruisers people are inventing (a'la Star Wars) wouldn't work? They must be strategically placed to bring a ship out of subspace/hyperspace, so if a ship didn't pass through it's interdiction field it wouldn't be caught and brought out of subspace.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I bet for the line of sight thing. If you don't have to point your fighter in the right direction, it's just for the sake of gameplay. AND I have an exemple, for once  
Look at the Xwing series, no doubt you need to be very accurate in Starwars when going in hyperspace ( speach of Ian Solo about colliding with a supernovae and so on). This is reflected in the Xwing series, till XWing Alliance (and maybe Xwing vs Tie Fighter, don't remember). In XWA, you don't have to point your ship in the right direction, and that's a cruel realism flaw, right? they just dropped that coz people often try a last hipe jump at the end of mission, when all the objectives are fulfiled and the Hull is critical. When you die just at the very last second, believe me, you're not happy.
Well, in FS2, it's the same. You already have that slow down sequence, if you have to add a facing sequence, well... I wouldn't have finished "Playing Judas" at the first try ( around 5% hull while jumping out, adrenaline rush  )
SCREW CANON!

Offline joek

• Heh heh... not funny.
    • http://www.joek.com/
I think it's a combination of both.

A subspace node is like a wormhole mouth, right? A hole in our 3D space into another dimension. So the opening into subspace is 3D, therefore you can enter into (and exit) it from any angle.

As for the corridor. This is a straight corridor--in subspace dimensions. So what I think is that, say you enter into the Vasuda-Altair node facing away from Altair (in our space), in the corridor (subspace) you would be facing the Altair exit. Then, when you exit subspace, you would exit the node still facing away from Altair.

Joe.

------------------
www.joek.com
Revelations: A FS2 Campaign
No, he's not back for real, just popping his head in to say "hello" while on break from classes.

Offline Jabu

• One of our many cases
I imagine bubbles. Bubbles of subspace around large concentrations of gravitational force. Bubbles. Usually not large enough to join each other. Bubbles that have to be connected via 'tunnels' to other bubbles. Bubbles. I liek bubbles.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
The lines on the maps represent intersystem jump nodes.  These are subspace tunnels that connect star systems.  Without these tunnels...you would be unable to use conventional subspace travel to go to another star system.

Within a system I imagine the direction is not necessarily related.  Its more of just phasing out of one location and phasing back into another.  Probably a gameplay concession as well.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
As with these threads, eventually we out-think the   people who put these game concepts in place.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Well, if I was developing a game, I would have thought of all this stuff. Maybe   thought about it, but just didn''t release any info, and now they can't do it due to copyrights and stuff...
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by Styxx:
Well, if I was developing a game, I would have thought of all this stuff.

Well, if you had, say, 10 years to develop a game, you could.  When I designed one of my many universes, it took about that long to get everything just right, and I still add new stuff every once and a while.  It just takes valuable time you could be spending tweaking the game engine, getting flight dynamics right, and scripting missions.

------------------
I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Eishtmo:
When I designed one of my many universes, it took about that long to get everything just right, and I still add new stuff every once and a while

Ditto. I have 3 own universes of mine (Veil of darkness, Outerspace and Oleon Wars are their little codenames   ), the oldest one is now living for more then 15 years now... And I'm sure it's still full of flaws. You can't think about everything when you have a reduced staff. Even 50 people won't be able to think about everything. Unleash a ravenous hord ( ) of fans, you can count thousands of them, they will find so many things you never ever thought about... And the fs universe was built in what? 1, 2 years for the first game? V worked on what was useful for the gameplay, and had to let everything else to people's imagination. Or else you do like Tolkien, and you spend your lifetime on your universe, and people will still find flaws (and Tolkien knew that very well, as he says in his Unfinished tales of Nùmeroz and Middle-Earth)
SCREW CANON!

Offline Slasher

Who knows?  Maybe V left these open ends for us fans to speculate about.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by Slasher:
Who knows?  Maybe V left these open ends for us fans to speculate about.

Perhaps, but a scientific concept? Plot points I can understand, but...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by Setekh:
Perhaps, but a scientific concept? Plot points I can understand, but...  

Actually, I understand that a lot.  For that universe I mentioned it took years to come up with the propulsion technology they used, and I still don't have a clue how it works.  Then, of course, I came up with something so eternally complex that I couldn't even begin to explain it.  So I just say it works, and don't question it.  It makes it easier on me.

V probably did the same, concentrating on gameplay instead of the insignificat details of the universe.  Besides, we can then make up how it works on our own, creating a badass universe.

------------------
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
I SOLVED IT!:

just because your fighter is pointing a certain way doesn't mean it is going that way. when you are in a subspace mission and you face the opposite way the tunnel seems to be pulling you, the direction of the pull doesn't change. therefore you can warpout facing away from the ship, and you wil be pulled in backward.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/
The lines pointing from one jump node to another interpret the distance from the exit of one jump node to the entrance of another jump node. Just take a look at the command briefing where it shows the plan to have the Bastion collapse the Epsilon Pegasi -> Capella jump node. It had the Bastion travel the line first, as if the line was normal space and once it reached the dot at the end of the line, the Bastion destroyed the node.

------------------
Creator of the Table Edit project.
IRC: /server twisted.ma.us.DAL.net /join #Deneb
Visit The Deneb System.
Balance?! Don't you talk to me about balance when you've seen all the Sathanases the Shivans have!! - Joey_21
Checkout the System Madness II campaign

[This message has been edited by Joey_21 (edited 08-25-2001).]

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Ahem...

It's A Game!

Offline Joey_21

• http://denebsystem.cjb.net/

Originally posted by Thunder:
Ahem...

It's A Game!

Umm..... so?  

EDIT: Mutters about HTML and peoples quoting ability  

[This message has been edited by Thunder (edited 08-25-2001).]

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
So it doesn't really matter.  Ah what the hell. Subspace is LOS because I say it is, and I'm a human. In line with the bible and watching Dogma to much - IIRC, anything mankinds holds true on Earth, God will stick to in Heaven, therefore it's dogmatic law and God has made it so that subspace is LOS.

Ha! I win! good for me  

Offline Nico

• Venom

Originally posted by Thunder:
So it doesn't really matter.  Ah what the hell. Subspace is LOS because I say it is, and I'm a human. In line with the bible and watching Dogma to much - IIRC, anything mankinds holds true on Earth, God will stick to in Heaven, therefore it's dogmatic law and God has made it so that subspace is LOS.

Ha! I win! good for me  

I say it's not, then who will God choose?  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Fineus

• Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions

The Metatron
HLP's resident religious icon

Vs

Model Magician

I think that unless God has a model fetish, I win  

Offline Nico