The Sobek
11 (17.7%)
The Moloch
7 (11.3%)
Corvettes are overkill, use cruisers
3 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Voting closed: April 19, 2006, 10:17:35 pm

Author Topic: Corvettes  (Read 12144 times)

Offline Mars

• I have no originality
  • Attempting unreasonable levels of reasonable
  • The Deimos has the advantage of having an excellent fighter and bomber defense
  • The Sobek has the advantage of having two excellent beam cannons, making it superior in a warship-to-warship fight.
  • The Moloch has a fighterbay, on top of okay defenses and beam cannons, adding to its advantage
  • Corvettes in general have been estimated (to the best of my ability) to have 1 and 2/3X to 2X the crew complement of cruisers, using several cruisers rather than one corvette may get the job done just as effectivly at a smaller cost in lives.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
I am biased like crazy. I 'dislike' almost all non-terran ships.

Offline Mehrpack

• Flying Monkey
hi,
mhh the best corvette, mhh not so easy.

like you say all of this corvetts have advantages and disadvantages, i think military is there no real winner.

Mehrpack
Nobody is Perfect.
attention: this english is dangerours and terrible, runaway so fast you can!

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Best all-rounder is unquestionably the Deimos. The Sobek is just weak really, while the Moloch gets dinged for its crappy anti-fighter defense.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
Yeah, Deimos FTW!
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
I can do a strafing run on a moloch with maxims and take out half of its turrets.
The Sobek is really weak from the sides and bottom.
Deimos wins by default.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Yeah deimoses are very formidable.
They can handle their own on fighters and bombers and larger warships.
Deimoses also take a while to destroy.
The deimos also has a wide array of weaponry, flak, lots of laser turrets, AAA beams, and good placed big beams.
The sobek is a weaker vessel.
But, i've noticed that it's always deployed with a good fighter screen.
The sobek is completely awesome when supported with one or more fighter wings.
Also the sobek is in the "stupid dog" role for ships (the sobek thinks it's destroyer when it's not ;7).
Sobeks just keep taking on destroyers and bigger ships (if you remember the few missions in fs2 with the sobek and the sathanas :lol:).
The sobek is highly effective also, but i just don't like it as much, but it is trustworthy to run to when you're almost dead.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
A sobek never directly engages a Sathanas, except when it is able to get into position to more or less be safe from the Sath's main weaponry.  And unlike a destroyer, the sobek could stay there.  As for going head-to-head, that would have been with a Demon.  And for its designed roll as an anti-capital ship without the size and cost of a destroyer, the Sobek is very capable.  It's when it's put against fighters (or generally out-manuvered) that it gets in to trouble, but then it's much like a destroyer in that regard anyway.  The Deimos is a better all-around, but has less hitting power head-to-head.  The Moloch, as its tech description implies, is really inferior to both and if it were not for the small fighterbay (which is too small to launch bombers) it would be worthless.

As for the crew compliments, a Sobek has a crew listing of about 3000, IIRC.  Most of us generally put the Deimos at a similar number.  Cruisers have crews numbering in the hundreds, so the crew differential is not a mere 1.5-2X but rather a whole order of magnitude.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The statement that a Deimos or Sobek can take out a Moloch is really kinda...debatable. The Moloch has fewer heavy beams, sure. They are also the vastly superior SRed.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
There's nothing superior about an SRed, especially in comparison to the Sobek and Deimos V/TSlash.  The Rakshasa, a cruiser, has more firepower in it's primary guns than the Moloch.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I recall reading somewhere that the Moloch only really made it into the definition of Corvette because of its ridiculous armour levels. Other than than, it's more a 'Heavy Cruiser' by Freespace terms.

Personally I think the best Anti-cruiser ship is the Sobek, but the best for all round situations has to be the Deimos.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
The Diemos, no contest.

Better AAA defenses, better Missile defenses, better hull armor, better primary beam cannon coverage. While a Sobek is a somewhat cheaper alternative and has a better assault head-on, with a smaller profile, it's extremely weak when attacked by any ship from the rear, and the hull structure, despite being strong, is still not all THAT strong. It also really doesn't have all that many more turrets than an Aeolus, which is probably better suited for Fighter support and anti-warship roles, and may even be a tad cheaper, too. The Deimos on the other hand, handles itself well against multiple opponents, has the hull plating to take a tremendous beating and is capable of taking on any Shivan warship smaller than it or the same size (save a Lilith) one-on-one and win.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Nuclear1

The Sobek and the Deimos are both nasty to attack, but the Deimos is just nastier to deal with. The Sobek has those two AAAf beams on the bow and two guarding the rear with flak to balance it all out nicely, but the Deimos wins by having AAAf beams all over the place and with four anti-capital beams. The Deimos just looks more aesthetically-pleasing as well.

The Moloch is just... embarrasing. Like Phreak said, a good Maxim run can easily disarm it, leaving it prey to any warship or bomber.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
The statement that a Deimos or Sobek can take out a Moloch is really kinda...debatable. The Moloch has fewer heavy beams, sure. They are also the vastly superior SRed.

The SRed is more of a cruiser beam. While it is vastly superior to the SGreen (what beam isn't except for the LTerslash?), it is inferior to the V/T Slash. 

Technicaly the Moloch has the same number of anti-capitalship beams as the Rakshasa, but they are not concentrated. It can only fire two of its beams at most at any given target (usually only one because it needs to be in a certain position to do it). While it can munch any GTVA cruiser, for a corvette it is quite weak. It's only saving graces are that fighterbay (which isn't particularly useful) and better anti-fighter defences (compared with other shivan capital ships). Even then it still is just bomber-bait.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Jopi

• In the army now, TJ 163
Had to go with Sobek, I deal with the fighters, they deal with the capital ships. Firepower ftw!

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
The Deimos, the other's just cant compete.

It needs some sort of mgreen instead of those silly slashers though...
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Roanoke

I wanna know why the Lilith is so damn powerful.

Offline Wanderer

• Wiki Warrior
  • Mostly harmless
To put it simply, LRed..

All other cruisers or corvettes carry much less efficient weapons
Do not meddle in the affairs of coders for they are soggy and hard to light

Offline antar05

I really wished the Terran and Vasudan models had had fighterbays as well... I would LOVE to have been able to set a campaign aboard a Deimos.

Offline Polpolion

• The sizzle, it thinks!
    • Minecraft
Why de the terrans have a BIG beam, but shivans have a LARGE beam?

I really wished the Terran and Vasudan models had had fighterbays as well... I would LOVE to have been able to set a campaign aboard a Deimos.

There was one set on a deimos once.

Also in the mission with the Paracombe, Malstrom, and the Collosus, the deimos there 'deploys' a wing of perseus! How does that happen?