Author Topic: Does Anyone Else HATE the Dragons?  (Read 9689 times)

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Does Anyone Else HATE the Dragons?
A couple of cruisers, you mean.

You have to destroy the Dragons at longe range with your Trebuchets. Anyway, the wingmen die before the Dragons jump in.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Really now, you say they're hard? I can pop them off even in an Ursa; nothing can dodge the power of a Tornado flurry. It's just the mission where you have to disable it that was annoying...

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I'm going to have so much fun with you people once PXO is repaired in 3.6.10

Offline Commander Zane

• Spoot Knight of Anvils
Multiplayer will be back on?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Multiplayer is back on. There are still bugs that could be fixed (for instance stand alone servers appear to have issues) but there's nothing stopping you playing right now :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Multiplayer will be back on?

So taylor says.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
Uh DySkO told me that played multiplayer killing some fishies...
The Lightblue Ribbon

Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)

Offline Dysko

Uh DySkO told me that played multiplayer killing some fishies...
13 zods, to be precise.
My aviation photography website: GolfVictorSpotting.it

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
It's the same.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Say what now?

Dragons are, IMHO, the most deadly fighter in the shivan arsenal. They've got a low target profile, and generally come in massive swarms. Maybe the Astaroth could be comparable with it. The only down-side to the Dragon is it doesnt have missiles.

Generally, if you can lock on with a harpoon and hit it with a double-barrage, that should knock it out. Otherwise, Kaysers should do the trick.

They do too have missiles. They just don't use them very often (no Shivan fighters do... except maybe Basilisks when they're attacking a larger ship).
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

They do too have missiles. They just don't use them very often (no Shivan fighters do... except maybe Basilisks when they're attacking a larger ship).

Well the Dragon has a missile bank, but shivans just dont use it. I noticed also that the shields on a Dragon seemed to be tougher then even some of the shivan bombers. I guess the reason it isnt used often is that the Dragon seems to be an elite intercepter, and shivans arent in the habit of using interceptors much anyway, they usually prefer swarming with maras or astaroths.

You don't consider the Astaroth an Interceptor?  :p

I'd say the Dragons are space superiority. They're certainly superior to most other craft in terms of maneuverability. I've found though, that it doesn't actually take too much to kill them; if you manage to hit two or three times with a good weapon, they go down fast. It's hitting them that's hard...
"You need to believe in things that aren't true. How else can they become?" -DEATH, Discworld

"You can fight like a krogan, run like a leopard, but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!"

You don't consider the Astaroth an Interceptor?  :p

I'd say the Dragons are space superiority. They're certainly superior to most other craft in terms of maneuverability. I've found though, that it doesn't actually take too much to kill them; if you manage to hit two or three times with a good weapon, they go down fast. It's hitting them that's hard...

That, and their shields are unbelieveably tough.

Offline chief1983

• Still lacks a custom title
  • ⬇️⬆️⬅️⬅️🅰➡️⬇️
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Fate of the Galaxy
Actually, the comment about stopping and waiting for them to fly at you really is the best way to deal with them, it works in any craft, with almost any loadout.  I typically found that solution out of sheer frustration at the short amount of time I could keep them in my sights, until I just stopped and waited for him to fly out, come back, and eat two harpoons in the face.  Or tempests.  Or 8 tornados.  Or whatever I have.  I've even destroyed them in bombers with one primary.  But you can only afford to sit there if there's only _1_ ship attacking you at the time.  Trying to take out a dragon near anything bigger than a Cain, that's another story...
Fate of the Galaxy - Now Hiring!  Apply within | Diaspora | SCP Home | Collada Importer for PCS2
Karajorma's 'How to report bugs' | Mantis
#freespace | #scp-swc | #diaspora | #SCP | #hard-light on EsperNet

"You may not sell or otherwise commercially exploit the source or things you created based on the source." -- Excerpt from FSO license, for reference

Nuclear1:  Jesus Christ zack you're a little too hamyurger for HLP right now...
iamzack:  i dont have hamynerge i just want ptatoc hips D:
redsniper:  Platonic hips?!
iamzack:  lays

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
Dragons aren't too bad. I always take them out with timed accurate hits with powerful primaries. After that if they swarm you, get out of there. Mara's are also good to fight against, they're more of a challenge than the rest of the shivan fighters but not as much as a dragon.
A good shivan craft that can woop your ass is the seraphim. I hate taking those down en masse. A wing of seraphims has killed me several times when i was just in the wrong place at the right time because i just get worn down by them as they splatter me with shivan lasers. This has happened to me several times on the last mission in fs2, and a couple of times on the the mission where the shivans first re-appear after 30 years.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.