Author Topic: Been a few years,.......  (Read 13565 times)

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Been a few years,.......
Wow this place has changed since last time I was around.....2003 I think.

So what's new with FS around here and how much trouble is it to get things set back up to play a bit?

*Misses his old mods....must dig through old hardrives.*
Warlock

DeathAngel Squadron, Forever remembered.

Do or Do Not,..There Is No Spoon

To Fly Exotic Ships, Meet Exotic People, and Kill Them.

We may rise and fall, but in the end
 We meet our fate together

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
Re: Been a few years,.......
Welcome back, and happy birthday again! :)

(Warlock came here following a Happy Birthday PM sent by me :D)
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Read this.

Your brain will implode from the MediaVP goodness. (And play Silent Threat: Reborn.)
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Vasudan Admiral

• Twisted Infinities
Haha, wow I remember you. Now I feel old. :p

Installation is pretty easy now, though still with a few kinks. Turey's installer handles pretty much everything fine with two major exceptions I'm aware of:

1) There is a corrupt Media VP it downloads, resulting in the most bizzare errors in-game. I would recommend not installing them at all using the launcher and just get them from the 3.6.10 mediaVPs release thread here which has instructions on getting the latest FSO build (if you haven't already).

2) Silent Threat: Reborn (A MUST PLAY in terms of quality, and probably the main FS based mod that you may remember from your last visit that has since been released. ;) ) requires a little bit of fiddling with the bits and pieces to get it working correctly. A full instruction set on what to do can be found in the release post, though the mod itself can be initially downloaded through the launcher during setup.

And finally: Welcome Back. :D
Get the 2014 Media VPs and report any bugs you find in them to the FSU Mantis so that we may squish them. || Blender to POF model conversion guide
Twisted Infinities

Offline Spidey-

diaspora and shadows of lyat are definitely worth checking out too, though they're still a ways off
diaspora has its forums here, SoL is over at game-warden.com though I think they have some screenies in the celebration of freespace thread

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I don't know you, Warlock, but I've seen your posts in the Classics. :p

...I think. :nervous:

And if you gave yourself that Custom Title, you can no longer change it; only the admins can, and they usually do it to make fun out of you.
* Androgeos Exeunt looks at Goober5000.
My blog

Quote: Tuesday, 3 October 2023 0133 UTC +8, #general
MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.
I've always been able to change my own title.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

:rolleyes: :p
Sig nuked! New one coming soon!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Welcome back Warlock!
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Thanks for the welcome back everyone :) Looks like I've got a lot of reading, downloading, and installing to catch up on.  Ohhh geeez...I don't even think I have a flightstick that uses a USB  LOL Wow!

As for the title, I believe it was Setekh that set me up with that waaaaaay back in the day.

Still good to see this place alive and kicking, I remember when it first got set up......yea.....that old. ......classics.....*sigh*

Ok last "Old fart" question.... Do we still have an online multiplayer set up or is it pretty much host and pass out IP info or Lan ?

Good old Squadwars ....the last true online MP I enjoyed :| Most crap these days is just that ....crap. If you're not an ace or sniper....some 13yro is gonna "pwn" you.  :nervous: :eek2:
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 07:27:41 pm by Warlock »
Warlock

Offline FUBAR-BDHR

• Self-Propelled Trouble Magnet
  • Master Drunk
    • 165th Beer Drinking Hell Raisers
Full multiplayer support has been restored including the PXO Lobby.  Squadwars will be making a come back in the future as well. 
No-one ever listens to Zathras. Quite mad, they say. It is good that Zathras does not mind. He's even grown to like it. Oh yes. -Zathras

Online Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Ok last "Old fart" question.... Do we still have an online multiplayer set up or is it pretty much host and pass out IP info or Lan ?
You're in luck; the Source Code Project established a service called FS2NetD as a replacement for PXO.  This article should have all the info you need to get you started.  The Multiplayer board should have a few threads with info about people hosting servers or weekly games.

And if you were a Squadwar fan back in the day, you might want to check out this thread, to provide suggestions for its eventual triumphant return. :)

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
I'm certain that almost everyone who knows how to get on FS2NetD will jump right into SquadWar the moment it's up. I only got a copy of FS2 after Interplay went bust and Outrage and Volition were acquired by THQ, so I've never tried SquadWar before.

If you want to get into Multiplayer the modern way, Warlock, detailed and concise instructions may be found on the FreeSpace Wiki at http://www.hard-light.net/wiki/index.php/Multiplayer_Getting_Started_Guide. I know it's both because I followed the instructions to the letter and it worked like a charm.

BAH! YOU BEAT ME TO IT, MONGOOSE! :hopping:
My blog

MP-Ryan
Oh you still believe in fairy tales like Santa, the Easter Bunny, and free market competition principles?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ

Prove it. :p
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Warlock

• Death Angel
    • Holocron Productions
Awesome....well as long as the "Call Center Fairies" don't screw my weekend up worth more silly broken doors,...I'll have a busy weekend hunting down my old copy of FS2 and getting everything up to speed :)

Once we get SW back up and running....looks like I'll have to get DA back into action and see if we can reclaim the #1 slot again  :yes2:
Warlock

Offline Blue Lion

• Star Shatterer
Ah welcome back Warlock

Offline S-99

• MC Hammer
  • A one hit wonder, you still want to touch this.

Prove it. :p
Hmmm you're right. I thought that personal text was the custom title area. Anyway, mc hammer is dope **** man.
I wish i had tried squadwar back in the day. Fs2 really was released as two games, and i didn't even bother with the squadwar part of it at all.
Every pilot's goal is to rise up in the ranks and go beyond their purpose to a place of command on a very big ship. Like the colossus; to baseball bat everyone.

SMBFD

I won't use google for you.

An0n sucks my Jesus ring.

Offline Killer Whale

• Oh no, not again.
again

Offline Androgeos Exeunt

• Captain Oblivious
  • Prevents attraction.
    • Wordpress.com Blog
again

Warlock is not a valid target. He's been here for years, and the administration hasn't been changed (much).
My blog

MP-Ryan

Offline Dilmah G

• Failed juggling
  • Do try it.
again

Warlock is not a valid target. He's been here for years, and the administration hasn't been changed (much).

"INVALID TARGET! HOLD YOUR FIRE!"

*Killer Whale's jumpdrives engage*