Author Topic: Joystick trouble  (Read 1785 times)

Greetings,

I just stumbled upon THE BABYLON PROJECT and I really like it. Excellent work. It feels good even without a Newtonian flight model (I know - FS2 problem).

However, I have one problem and I hope you guys can help me with it:

I'm using a Saitek X-45 joystick (3 axis + throttle programmable stick) and everything works just fine except for one thing: The rudder axis seems to be non-existent. It simply ain't working !

I recalibrated and checked the stick and there's no problem there so I figure it is a problem within the program.

I vaguley seem to remember having a similar kind of trouble with the original FREESPACE 2 but this could be my warped mind.

Does anyone know a solution to this problem ?

Thank you in advance.

Offline Herra Tohtori

• The Academic
  • Bad command or file name
Hmm, weird. I also have a saitek stick, but a little more traditional one (cyborg evo, to be matter-of-fact).

But when I swapped the controls from my old Logitech Crapstreme 3D Pro, I noticed that Saitek uses different names on their sticks' axis' - at least this is how they are named on Cyborg evo:

X and Y axis are traditionally named, but twist handle rudder is named rX (as rotate X), and throttle is named z-axis.

Have you lately switched to Saitek from some different mark, or has this controller been on use from the first time you learned about The Babylon Project?

May I presume that you have checked what axis names are on places for Bank and Absolute throttle on your controls setup in TBP? I'm quite sure you have already tried the bind-action, but just to make sure I must ask this, too.

If this doesn't help, you could try the Saitek Smart Technology tool and create a profile that recognizes throttle as something else as the default.

Weird, still, because my TBP controller setup recognized Cyborg Evo with no problem - i just had to choose "bank" and bind it to twist handle axis by twisting the stick, and bind the throttle to absolute throttle axis by same method.

It might be that S 45 is somehow a bit too complex or something... isn't that the one with two analog roll buttons on it in addition to normal axis'?

I don't claim to know too much of gaming controllers, I just received some major help today here - and as I also have a Saitek controller, I figured to ask if you had noticed the same things that I have, when comparing Saitek Products to, say, Logitech ones - that is, if the Cyborg Evo and S45 use even remotely similar axis naming system.

Good luck with finding solution, if this doesn't help.

EDIT: Oh, btw: It could be useful to know some more facts of the system you're running TBP. Actually it'll most likely be needed if some more suggestions are to be made...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 10:32:07 am by 3189 »
There are three things that last forever: Abort, Retry, Fail - and the greatest of these is Fail.

Ach... stupid me ! Forgot to bind the axis - It's really been a long time since I player Freespace 2.

Hey, BTW - does anyone know wether there is a SPACE: ABOVE AND BEYOND or a BATTLESTAR GALACTICA 2003 "mod" ?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Actually I suspect that the problem is simply that you haven't bound the throttle axis to anything.

Check the gameplay section of my FAQ for details.

EDIT : Got there before me :)

As for the other two S:AAB was planned but got cancled over an argument over models etc.

BSG reimagined is being worked on and can be found over on Game-Warden (Links in my FAQ again).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2005, 11:40:25 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
I always have to hold myself back from starting a S:AAB total conversion ...don't know how long I can hold it though :nervous:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Joystick's working now, nound everything to where it is supposed to be. Also, thanks for the info.

Col. Fishguts: With the series FINALLY available on DVD in November, the might be increased interest in a game. Too bad I have no knowledge whatsoever about 3D or programming. Otherwhise I'd gladly offer be assistance. But if you ever need some help in writing (story/script etc), just gimme a call.