Author Topic: Featured Campaigns  (Read 10474 times)

Offline Shade

Common sense applies to the FreeSpace Wiki. If we were using wikipedia rules, I'd probably have banned half of you by now :p
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr
<Cobra|> You play this mission too intelligently.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Are you sure about that? As far as I know, most Wikipedia rules also apply to the FreeSpace Wiki. :confused:

Nope, none of them apply to the FSWiki. This is a semi-benevolent dictatorship and the only rules are those that the admins say exist at that moment.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Snail

• SC 5
Semi-benevolent dictatorship as opposed to an inaccessible and utterly illogical bureaucracy.

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
By "shared rules" I meant proper use of bold, italics, etc. etc. The last time I checked these rules also applied to the FS Wiki.
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Snail basically said it best.

Wikipedia has some sensible rules. Use those where they fit in with FSWiki. Otherwise ignore them.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Mobius

• Back where he started
  • Porto l'azzurro Dolce Stil Novo nella fantascienza
    • The Lightblue Ribbon | Cultural Project
I see.

On a slightly unrelated note, why don't we have a "Featured Ship of the Moment" and/or a "Featured Code Addition of the Moment"?
The Lightblue Ribbon

Inferno: Nostos - Alliance
Series Resurrecta: {{FS Wiki Portal}} -  Gehenna's Gate - The Spirit of Ptah - Serendipity (WIP) - <REDACTED> (WIP)
FreeSpace Campaign Restoration Project
A tribute to FreeSpace in my book: Riflessioni dall'Infinito
My interviews: [ 1 ] - [ 2 ] - [ 3 ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
We have an "SCP Additions" (or whatever it's called) page, but it's direly outdated.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Shade

Alright, there seems to be a fair amount of support for (and no opposition to) requiring some degree of effort behind featured campaign articles. As such, consider it policy from now on.
Report FS_Open bugs with Mantis  |  Find the latest FS_Open builds Here  |  Interested in FRED? Check out the Wiki's FRED Portal | Diaspora: Website / Forums
"Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh ****ing great. 2200 references to entry->index and no idea which is the one that ****ed up" - Karajorma
"We are all agreed that your theory is crazy. The question that divides us is whether it is crazy enough to have a chance of being correct." - Niels Bohr

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
As an example of how to do it right, Fate of the Galaxy have done a great job on their wiki page. And they haven't even released yet.

You may call it shameless self promotion overkill, but in my not entirely unbiased opinion this is an example of how to do it right. :nervous:

:warp:
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
  • i wonder when my postcount will exceed my iq
As an example of how to do it right, Fate of the Galaxy have done a great job on their wiki page. And they haven't even released yet.

You may call it shameless self promotion overkill, but in my not entirely unbiased opinion this is an example of how to do it right. :nervous:

:warp:

It is so good in so many ways but it's dark text on a dark background and aaargh.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Yeah, that'd be utterly fantastic with a bit of a readability tweak.

I see.

On a slightly unrelated note, why don't we have a "Featured Ship of the Moment" and/or a "Featured Code Addition of the Moment"?

Because the front page doesn't need to be cluttered up with ****. That and the average person browsing the wiki is going to care about playing the game, not modding the game. If they want to mod the game they'll already direct themselves to the appropriate section or ask questions on the forum.

On another note, my two cents to all involved (or lurking),

Personally, I'm not a fan of "Featured Campaigns". As someone else said, the Wiki's not for advertising, it's for information correct? Anything that's "featured" is a promotion and therefore advertising. Why not instead of having "Featured Campaign of the Moment" just have "Campaign of the Moment".

What do I mean by this?
Have a random script, that draws from a list of all the campaign links and whenever someone visits the front page of the wiki they get a random campaign, aka a Campaign of the Moment (hereafter COTM). You can either restrict it to released campaigns or open it up to campaigns in progress.

Now obviously, this then hits on the core problem of the original post in that, most campaign pages on the Wiki are garbage. Meaning, they're barebones with only the minimal amount of information about the campaign. So one may also want to restrict the list of possible COTM to pages which meet a certain standard for content and information. Also each campaign will need the pic and blurb to fit in the box on the front page.

So what are the advantages?
1. Campaigns which are overlooked will appear on the front page
2. The random nature will mitigating or eliminate any perceived or actual problems of favourtism.
2. Reduced maintenance for the front page. The featured campaign never has to be changed, only the possible list of COTM (ie Add a new campaign to the shuffle when it's appropriate).

Anyone who wants a campaign to appear on the front page need only update the campaign's page of information, grab some screenshots, and create the pic+blurb for the box.

To reduce favourtism/subjectivity even more, one may also want to provide minimum requirements for what the campaign page has to have in order to be a possible COTM. A possible list may include

1. Title graphic (even rudimentary)
2. List of staff members
3. List of mods (ie new ships)
4. At least one screenshot
5. Basic information (number of missions, last known build compatibility, download links)
6. Some sort of introduction to the story and/or universe.

Then of course there is optional information such as:
7. Walkthroughs
8. User Comments
9. etcetera

I would shy away from a set style format (ie user created ships) as it restricts people who want to get fancy (ie Front Lines).

I just think it would be beneficial for all if everyone who visited the wiki had the opportunity to be introduced to a campaign they've never heard. Heck you could have someone visit the page, and get "Procryon Insurgency" and then the guy says "What?  This campaign's awesome, but I've already played this". So then he goes to his browser, hit's "reload" and then blammo "Uncharted Territory" and in response "What's this? Never heard of it, looks cool!I better check it out" and so on . . .

That's my two cents. Take or leave it.

Oh, and as a disclaimer, YES, I do have a (partial) campaign Meditations on the Abyss and NO, I don't care if it ever hits the front page. This is not about promoting my work it's about diversifying the freespace experience for everyone in the community. And in turn, it's also about appreciating the work of all of this community's campaign contributors, regardless of whether they're praised or vilified, present or absent.

Give everyone's work a chance to shine (so long as wiki contributors put in the appropriate effort).

« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 04:52:33 am by Akalabeth Angel »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
1. Title graphic (even rudimentary)
2. List of staff members
3. List of mods (ie new ships)
4. At least one screenshot
5. Basic information (number of missions, last known build compatibility, download links)
6. Some sort of introduction to the story and/or universe.

Most campaign articles already have those, with the exception of one screenshot, and a single screenshot wouldn't elevate the article's quality very much. Not all mods are about graphics, either.

I would make a minimal length restriction. I'd settle with a minimum of 4k characters.

Give everyone's work a chance to shine (so long as wiki contributors put in the appropriate effort).

This is the #1 problem of the Wiki.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
I think the current Featured Campaign business is designed to spotlight good campaign articles, not good campaigns. Which at the moment basically means whatever Androgeos Exeunt has been working on most lately.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Then why restrict it to campaign articles? Why not feature universe- or modding-related articles as well?

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Y'know, that's a damn good idea.

This is the #1 problem of the Wiki.

If there's a greater chance of people's articles being read (ie, they're visible on the front page), people might put greater effort into their articles. Though I wouldn't hold out much hope myself, it's possible.

Offline Shade

Then why restrict it to campaign articles? Why not feature universe- or modding-related articles as well?
Good question, that. It actually *was* that way once, but when and why it was changed to be just campaigns escapes me at the moment.

[Edit] Did some checking, and apparently "Featured Campaign" replaced "Featured Article" on the main page on Jan 19th, 2009, with the inaugural campaign (on the main page anyway, the template had been around for longer) being Silent Threat: Reborn. Still don't know why, but at least the when is sorted. The old FA template still exists by the way, so it would be trivial to put it back in if it comes to that.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 01:50:53 pm by Shade »

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Good question, that. It actually *was* that way once, but when and why it was changed to be just campaigns escapes me at the moment.

It may have something to do with the absence of pics.

Offline General Battuta

• Poe's Law In Action
Maybe it's because of GOOOOBEEEEEEEER

Remember up until TopAce and I discussed this, every single Featured Campaign pick was selected by the creators of said campaigns.