Author Topic: Supreme Commander  (Read 23474 times)

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
Oups, forgot to give you mine : MetalDestroyer.

Butter _> no probs

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
If the copy I ordered ever gets here, I might tell you.

But probably not.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Unless you're targetting a fully upgraded Cybran ACU.  Can't shoot what you can't see =)

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
Arent Cybran ACUs still visible to Omni sensors?

Offline Zuljin

• Cake!
I believe so. The description says that the Omni sensor can look past any cloaking device.

Only within the GOLD ring of the radar (press ctrl+T).  That's the "omni" range of the Omni radar and it will see stealth, cloak and burn through jamming.  The ACU and SCUs also have an omni range.

Outside that range, it's free country for stealth.

Offline Fineus

• ...But you *have* heard of me.
  • Administrator
    • Hard Light Productions
In a way that's good to hear. I was wondering what the point of stealth was if it was so easily defeated...

Story Time!

I just played a 2v2 match on a 20x20 map, Setton's Clutch, Annihilation. Me (Cybran), Ally (UEF), Center Opponent (UEF), Back Opponent (Aeon)

I scouted a bit and immediately charged down the middle and went for a quick rush since my Center Opponent wasn't expanding down the middle. Taking the entire land bridge was a coup and I quickly teched up to T2 while maintaining cheap T1 pressure (entirely purposed to waste the Center Opponent's time building defenses, I didn't expect it to succeed)

Unfortunately, they were used to playing +4 speed while I'm used to Normal speed (I'd say that there's more than enough to do clicking non-stop at Normal Speed, much less +4).  We had compromised on +3.  My T1 and then T2 units were doing a little damage to his initial base which has since been buttressed by units from his ally, Back Opponent, who had all the time in the world to sit back and build up.  He also had an auto-rebuild thing set up.  I didn't care much since T1 units were super cheap and the point was to waste his resources and time building said defenses.  He got the better deal in terms of resources wasted, but I had greater expansion as a result and came out ahead.

I've made a severe mistake at this point which almost cost me the game. I had my T1 LandFabs in my core base and the T2/T3 LandFabs in the land bridge.  The reasoning was that I'd get units up the front line quicker.  The flaw in the idea was that this was a 2v2 match.

I had a T2 navy already and was teching up my AirFabs. But the unharrassed guy in the back had been building a T3 artillery... which started raining shells on the land bridge (later I found that since he didn't scout properly, he didn't fire into my main base because his Omni Radar's range was short, lucky me). At the same time, the opponent I've been hounding had built up a mess of T2 gunships. Not good, this is what I get for neglecting to scout properly and now I could REALLY use some backup. How did he manage to build so many even while I was harrassing him? (he had a secondary base and didn't build naval)

My Ally came through... sort of. He had a mess of T2 units marching up the land bridge, but they were being torn up by the gunships (why was there not AA?). He also had a Fatboy  and T3 Battleship (is this what you've been wasting your time on?). Luckily Center Opponent decided to waste time blowing these guys up instead of rushing my core base. Meanwhile, ever since I've glimpsed the gunships, I've started rushing building T1 AA units and as well as moving my fleet of T2 ship back from bombardment to defense. It turned out to be just barely enough to hold back the gunships.  Back Opponent also sent a group of T3 units at this point.  It was the combined effort of the single Battleship, my swarm of Walking Cruisers, and my rushed T1 units (to slow them down), that staved them off.

It was at this point where the final mistake was made and the results of the game was decided. Having learned my lesson, I resumed scouting and finally had the time to build an Omni. No time to properly set up T3 reactors and mass fabricators with shields; I sprinkle them around to avoid a chain explosion with T3 AA and hope for the best. I've also set up a Quantum Gate in the meantime just in case

I've been upgrading my ACU after noticing the minimal number of Omni Radars being constructed. Also starting to mass produce T3 Engineers and T3 Bombers

And thus stealth wins the day

I blitzed Center Opponent's base with a small squadron of Revenant and found his ACU =). He almost got away (must've been stealthed) but nope, Boom. What I didn't know is that he had built another huge mass of T2 gunships and that he had just sent them against my Ally (hence his relatively undefended base). My Ally was pretty much overrun. I start moving my army of AA ground units back into my core base in anticipation. While the gunships were blowing up my Ally's base (BOOM goes his ACU), I desperately sent my T3 bombers stealthed... as AA.  Fortunately for my bombers, my Ally had a single cluster of T3 AA (which was bypassed earlier conveniently like the Maginot Line).  The Gunships were destroyed and Center Opponent is pretty much finished.  Too bad the core of my Ally was also wiped.  He won't have time to rebuild since the game was going to last only 5 more minutes.

Only ones left are the Back Opponent and I. I didn't have a chance to build up, but I've been spamming as quickly as possible; I even had 4 SCUs in case something BAD happens

Scouts reveal a base set up with shields, artillery and AA. He was building T4 and had three T3 Artillery. WTF, I had been wondering what he was doing; he screwed over his ally by not supporting him. Too bad his ACU was sitting beside his Omni Radar. What he didn't know was that I had my ACU cloaked, stealth and with a Microwave Laser, sitting JUST outside his Omni Range. Again, not scouting is not smart.  Then again, it's entirely possible that even then he'd miss my ACU.  Gotta love the invisibility.

Oh sh**
--Back Opponent as 20 T3 bombers mop up his ally's base

Boom goes his ACU and Omni, then I wipe the rest of his base with my ACU. Turns out he didn't even know what it was (yay for Cloak)

Twas fun. I wonder what will happen once they gain more experience and learn how to play

I wasted mega time and resources because of the +3 speed. Total Gametime: ~1:05
« Last Edit: March 03, 2007, 10:36:30 am by ChronoReverse »

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
That seems about right.

Offline DeepSpace9er

• Bakha bombers rule
  • Avoid the beam and you wont get hit
T3 bombers rarely get by me :) i build lines of T3 antiair and divide them into numerical groups, so when they come in with their bomber rush i manually tell them to attack and change targets so rapidly that it totally wastes them.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I still need to finish 1-2 missions from each three campaigns, but I have to say that I don't have much interest left for that. That's mainly because the three single player campaigns feel so flat and unoriginal coupled with cheesy voice acting. I'm not much into pointless skirmishes or multiplayer. Multiplayer is not my cup of tea mainly because I'm a turtler and not even nearly aggressive enough.

With half-assed single player experience, SC is only worth the bucks it costs if you like multiplayer. Long gone are the days when games had good stories and overall good single player content.

T3 bombers rarely get by me :) i build lines of T3 antiair and divide them into numerical groups, so when they come in with their bomber rush i manually tell them to attack and change targets so rapidly that it totally wastes them.
While I tend to do that myself, it's actually laughably easy to get past if you spend the time to micro a little bit.  Besides, it just makes them more vulnerable to ground.

There's always a counter tactic =)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
It's kinda funny you come in here bemoaning the crappy single when I actually rather enjoy it; the voice acting was also better than I've heard for an RTS in some time, the story is not totally original but it's a far cry from the tired rehash you want to paint it as. It's not to be played in a low-energy state, otherwise the minutae can wear you down pretty quick, but it's not as bad in this sense as a lot of other games. (Starcraft and Company of Heros come to mind.)

Honestly, Fury, I can't help but wonder if you're trolling on purpose. Your views never seem to sync with anyone else's, perhaps even reality.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline MetalDestroyer

• Starwars reborn!
I'm not much into pointless skirmishes or multiplayer. Multiplayer is not my cup of tea mainly because I'm a turtler and not even nearly aggressive enough.

If you have still your copie, just try to improve your strategy. I was a turtle player in RTS game but since I got my hand in Supreme Commander since the Beta, I change my mind to pull effort into rushing strategy. Just watch some replays and analyze how some gamers are playing. With time, and some plays, you will little by little improve yourself.

I think Supreme Commander is a little hard for those who didn't have the chance to play TA. But, when you know how to use each features that SC propose you. You'll see something very different with other RTS. And rushing make SC more and more nervous and very exciting ^^.

It is indeed a very different game.

I played a "for fun and profit" match against someone who just got the game yesterday.  He clearly had some good instincts and was actually able to keep up for a bit.  I decided to show him how fast one can get into T4 instead of properly building up.

He was rather surprised that his "rush" at about 10 minutes, despite destroying my satellite resources, did almost negligible damage to my economy.  It simply came too late as I was starting in T3 and will have started my MLord at 13 minutes in =)

It was enough damage that I couldn't finish the MLord in 21 minutes (I took the time to prop up some T3 defenses at that point because it was clear he wasn't going to really turtle) but rather in 26 minutes.  It was fun walking that into his base.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2007, 10:45:38 am by ChronoReverse »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Honestly, Fury, I can't help but wonder if you're trolling on purpose. Your views never seem to sync with anyone else's, perhaps even reality.
Well I am truly sorry if I am not entitled to my own opinions if I think that SC is generic but yet decent RTS with few good innovations but is nothing special, least of all this Jesus of RTS' it is touted to be.

If you're saying that the single player campaign and its lines were decent or good, then you really have low standards. It is no wonder that there are only a few good developer firms left, playerbase apparently doesn't tend to demand a lot.

TBH I think they made the best of the limitations of the format with the single player. In a game of that scale the actions of a single individual are utterly insignificant, in contrast with things like Warcraft where you have heroes thundering about the map destroying all in their wake and being the centre of attention. To make things worse, a good plot is much easier to produce when you have RPG elements to work with, which is what nearly every "RTS" since Starcraft has had - in SupComm there're none of those. It might be a lame excuse to some but I think crafting a more epic story for SupComm would take more than the average writer.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Those are good points regarding the lack of quality story being due to the larger scale of the game. I have to agree... to an extent. :p After all, why couldn't "they" have included specialty hero units - not ones that are overpowered, but perhaps ones that have unusual abilities. For example, one hero unit could have a sight range 1.5 times as long as a scout plane - but nothing else particularly special about it. Another could have the ability to "rally the troops" around him, as it were, making them fire more accurately, and at an increased rate, while in the vicinity of the hero. Things that can be quite useful, but don't in and of themselves tip the balance of a game. :)

But anyway... I bought SC and installed it despite only having a Radeon 9500 Pro (I have a GeForce 8800 GTX sitting right next to me, but for want of a PCI-E cable... long story. ;)). I wasn't expecting to get much performance out of the game at all, but I'm surprised. Granted, I have a C2D, but "only" 1GB of DDR400, and yet with everything at the lowest settings besides texture and detail level, which are at the middle setting, it runs quite nicely. Wish I could up the fidelity level - that makes things look SO much nicer - but it drops the FPS down to around 10 or so. Ah well. Soon, my pretties... soon....
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Actually hero units and such are unecessary, simply more creative mission design which is story-oriented.

Such as an assault on an Aeon temple on the top of a mountain which stores the codes needed to teleport further into their territory. Of course the base is shielded and inaccessible so the only means of pressing on is building tactical missiles on a nearby ridge. All the while dealing with elite warrior monks who are being dropped from support structures in orbit. (and you need to protect your power plants which are tied into fueling the orbital counter-attack)

More minor characters (such as the naval officers giving orbital support) and such would also help. Plus if all three campaigns were tied into one story...
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock