Author Topic: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress, HLP!  (Read 27595 times)

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Re: Let's Play Dwarf Fortress, HLP!
Still loving this. You can do it, IronBeer!
[16:57] <CommanderDJ> What prompted the decision to split WiH into acts?
[16:58] <battuta> it was long, we wanted to release something
[16:58] <battuta> it felt good to have a target to hit
[17:00] <RangerKarl> not sure if talking about strike mission, or jerking off
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> WUT
[17:00] <CommanderDJ> hahahahaha
[17:00] <battuta> hahahaha
[17:00] <RangerKarl> same thing really, if you think about it

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
HA! The Mayor isn't so uppity now is he!
"No"

Offline Gortef

• A meat popsicle
Hang in there. We will root for ya. :yes:
Habeeb it...

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Picking up from where we left off, not a whole lot happens for a while. The goblin killsquads are still camped on the surface, and I'm still waiting for a Pig Tail spawn.

Then, a caravan. I expect the killsquads to forcibly evict the caravan...

...so I get to work digging out some individualized bedrooms. It'll be quick work with only nine total citizens.

Against my expectations, the caravan guards drive off the killsquads, taking down a couple gobbos in the process. I take the risk of opening up the fort and building a new Trade Depot.

As one of my three healthy dwarves decides to fetch some irrelevant thing from the other side of the map, I decide to finally start using Burrows. Near as I understand them, Burrows are "activity areas" that can have dwarves assigned to them. Dwarves will only use resources within their own burrows, and I think they won't leave the area unless chased out. I'll be using this feature heavily from this point forward: I set up a single burrow that encapsulates New Wallbones' underground areas and a bit of the surface.

In the meantime, I bite my nails while watching the dwarf's trek.

Luckily, she returns safely, and the merchant caravan is not far behind.

It's been a while since I've actually managed to see the trade screen. I gather up some nearby war detritus and sell it for seeds and food. Unfortunately, these merchants didn't have any cloth! STILL!

Not long after the merchants depart, finally some success! Fungishrubs continue to pop up in the unfarmed soil areas, and one of the workers finally manages to harvest a usable Pig Tail specimen! I'll need to have a Farmer's Workshop built so that usable Pig Tail thread can be made, but things are finally looking up.

What in the hell? Scourge is the latest ghost to arise, and it looks like he's still pretty angry! I never saw a notification for his target's demise, but I check on her anyways.

"Battered" my ass- I'm simultaneously spooked and impressed. Scourge managed to neatly amputate Stukos' right arm above the elbow- no bleeding, and no pain when I checked on her! Stukos didn't even stop by the hospital (which is good, because we still need the workers).

I rename Stukos as 'Lefty' because I'm kind of a dick, and she has a story behind the nickname. Fortunately, Lefty can continue working just fine as a civilian dwarf with a few exceptions. First, she can't hold a pick properly anymore (as it needs two hands) so she's off mining duty. Second, I don't think she'll make a very good soldier with just one arm.

At any rate, I'm ok with it. She's still alive and able-bodied, which is something of a ray of sunshine in benighted Wallbones.

Cloth for wound dressings. At last, Armok-damned cloth! And splints for the more serious injuries, but it *was* the cloth shortage stopping everything.

Diplomat from the Mountainhomes has been waiting for the mayor to get patched up, and once the mayor's out of the hospital, dimplomacy ensues. I make a simple request: coal, and lots of it. The remains of multiple killsquads and sieges will offer plenty of iron-bearing fodder for our forges. That is, once I find a particular feature. Though that is a project for later...

Natch. This time, at least, I had the walling materials ready to go. Unfortunately, the diplomat gets sealed in with the rest of us. I sure hope he copes with the isolation well...

Walling complete in just a few seconds. Naturally, the gobbos brought trolls. Shame we're nice and sealed off from the outside world now.

Finally, everybody's back on their feet (as it were. The mayor's still paraplegic).

I plopped down a memorial slab for Scourge's angry spirit a while back, but now I'm definitely starting an ongoing project. Since it's now apparent that ANYBODY will return given enough time, I've started plopping slabs for all the dead of Old Wallbones. This will take some time.

At least we now have a nice and proper dining room dug out in addition to private sleeping quarters.

Well **** me. Looks like our guest couldn't handle the isolation too well.

Technically, he hasn't *left* unhappy, but the poor SOB sure won't be returning our requests to the Mountainhomes any time soon. Or any time ever, actually.

So, berserk dwarf right in the heart of Wallbones. As usual, Dwarf Fortress' graphical style doesn't make for gripping fisticuffs, so here's a reconstruction of the events as I understand them.

For some reason, the paraplegic Mayor was near the farming plots. Being the nearest target, the now-berserk diplomat immediately attacked her. I respond my drafting all dwarves except the assigned medical dwarf into a combat squad. Half of Wallbones' adult population is active miners, so we have a modestly passable milita. One of the unarmed dwarves reaches the berserk diplomat and dispatches him single-handedly. Crisis averted, and nobody suffered further injuries.

After a bit of stoneworking and some mechanical shenanigans, the fishing pond that cost the mayor's ability to walk is finished. It probably won't be worth much in terms of fish output, but it will serve as an alternate water source.

Woot, another caravan. And they don't get killed by a goblin ambush squad. I send them away with some war pickings, and we retreat back underground with surface food and booze. Important things, ya know.

Since at this point I'd never be able to prepare a proper military response even with 100% population participation, I start making alternative defensive plans. This area will house a new Trade Depot, and will be connected to a vicious defensive contraption (the details of which I will reveal ...soonish).

Dante is the latest ghost to rise, making his presence and displeasure known by trashing the old fort. I simply prioritize him in the current batch of memorial slabs. Once his slab is down, he returns to his ghostly slumber.

Excellent. Adil's growth to a child marks the second year of New Wallbones' survival. Sure feels like a lot longer than that.

Seriously? Hell, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth, but really? After everything that's happened, this batch of migrants would think that coming here is a good move? Whatever they say. We desperately need the extra hands.

Following rather closely on the heels of the migrants is a goblin kidnapper. The jackass flees quickly once spotted.

As the migrants get settled in, I order private bedrooms dug out for them. It actually seems as though things are looking up, I daresay. And now I get word of a human caravan arriving. Finally, a stretch of good news!

****ing Murphy's Law. Well, the caravan guards will have to deal with this on their own. I hope they have fun.

After releasing the merchants from my attentions, I get word that they made it to the trade depot safely! Huh. Dwarf Fortress  NOT ****ting on us for a change? Seems good.

SUDDEN EPISODE END! I'll remember that we have a merchant caravan waiting to trade. Some of the war bitz should net us a handful of useful stuff. Until next time!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:37:04 pm by IronBeer »
"I have approximate knowledge of many things."

Ridiculous, the Director's Cut

Starlancer Head Animations - Converted

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
I was legitimately a little nervous when reading this! Nice to see that we haven't bit the dust yet. Onwards!

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Just wait until you discover a
Spoiler:
vampire
or two in your ranks  :lol:
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Wooooooooooo, I am a master surgeon ghost! I specialize in disarming goblins and dwarves, whichever comes first!

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
Unbelievable as it may seem, I have not forgotten about our fortress. I was rather occupied the last few weeks IRL, but I did recently manage to sit down for a bit and advance Wallbones. Let's see what's been happening!

More digging. This area will eventually be the primary defensive contraption for Wallbones, though it may not be obvious how it works just yet.

The central square becomes a downward-reaching shaft, and the uppermost floor is cut into a single-tile-wide spiral, with a down stair in the middle. The central shaft will tunnel downward as far as I can take it, ideally the z-level just above the accursed cavern layer.

Basically, the whole contraption will be an automated "gravity blender". The uppermost walkway will be completely riddled with floor-based weapon traps; enemies walk on the traps and face a devilish choice. They can either take a hit from the trap, and I'll be loading the traps with serious components, giant sawblades and the like, or the invader can dodge. Dodging usually means "move to a nearby unoccupied tile", which in this case means "open-air tile above a 20-level fall"! I don't think there are many creatures that can survive a fall like that, and I can rig the killing floor to flood with lava too (once I find a source). Cue the evil cackling!

Yay! More dwarfpower!

O noes. A gremlin in Old Wallbones. I don't even know who or what gave me eyes on the gremlin, but right after it was spotted , it scampered right back down to the cavern layer. Whatever.

Work continues on the gravity blender when suddenly- a possession!

At first, I had briefly forgotten that a possession was good, then I quickly remembered when I saw the forge get claimed. Ah, uhm... metal bars might be a bit tricky. Also, here we observe one of the downsides to a tile pack- that weird spacing in the dwarf's demand. Ah well, the demand is still readable, and my audience is happy.

Actually, I lied about metal being hard to do. Initially, I thought that I'd have to melt down some discarded gear, but it turns out there was a steel bar just sitting on the surface unclaimed. I mark that bar to be taken under, and Reg snatches it right up for his project and gets to work. Oh boy! A steel artifact, hope it's something awesome!

Kickass! A steel artifact weapon will pwn ALL teh n00bs!

Not the most creative of decorations, but an artifact doesn't need to menace with nine types of gems to be more effective in battle.

And a caravan shows up shortly after the spear's completion. Lemme just take a second and figure out what I can tr-...

....without fail. Gee- it's a good thing we don't need anything from those trade caravans, right? Actually, we are a bit low on wood, but the open-soil area will provide us a slow yet steady trickle of fungi-timber.

Bar the doors, and don't feed the trolls. Well-rehearsed **** at this point. Wallbones is buttoned up in a matter of seconds.

Excavation for the gravity blender continues unhampered by the troubles on the surface. But work is hampered by troubles within. One of our tanners takes a serious ass beating from another cranky ghost. I check Rigoth's wounds right when I get the message- Rigoth's got gut injuries and is red for the lower body. Pretty serious injuries, but Rigoth shambles towards the hospital...

...but doesn't make it. Goddamn, ghosts are assholes!

Welp. Plop down another coffin for our latest unfortunate SOB, and prioritize a slab for our newest cranky visitor. We've made some good progress with the slab engraving project. Slabs aren't very well represented under this tile set- they're represented by the dark blotches in the middle of the screen. At present, I think we've memorialized about half of the dead from Old Wallbones.

What kind of hax is this? Now dwarves that aren't even mine can become ghosts? MAN, this is some bull****. Ah well, add those assholes to the engravers' list as well. Now I need to memorialize anybody with a dwarven name. WHY CAN'T YOU JUST STAY DEAD, EH?

And now we're running into another slight complication owing to our status as a... "spinoff" fortress. Dwarf Fortress will prevent a fortress from having more than 200 of any type of seed in the entire fortress gamespace. You know, to prevent ridiculous overloads and all that. An unfortunate side effect of this is that we now can't regenerate our stocks of Plump Helmets, and we aren't really able to grow many other plants. We do still have Sweet Pods and Cave Wheat (albeit not much), both of which can be used for food and booze. If the gobbos ever leave, I can make arrangements for a fortified "above-ground plant" garden, but for now we're kinda stuck. To help make ends meet, I order all the fungishrubs that have popped up to be collected. Lemme clarify one thing, however- we're not in danger of starving. I just want to sort out this plant bidness before it becomes a major issue.

And with that, I must leave for now. I'll try to get a more substantial session up before much longer, but I can't say for certain when I'll do that.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 02:45:50 pm by IronBeer »

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So if you want to fix that quota issue...you're basically going to need to invade Old Wallbones at some point?  ;7

Offline FireSpawn

• Lives in GenDisc
    • Minecraft
So if you want to fix that quota issue...you're basically going to need to invade Old Wallbones at some point?  ;7

Anyone going in there will most likely end up well and truley Wallboned.
If you hit it and it bleeds, you can kill it. If you hit it and it doesn't bleed...You are obviously not hitting hard enough.

Greatest Pirate in all the Beach System.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength, I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.
The Force shall free me.

Offline deathfun

• Hey man. Peace. *Car hits them* Frakking hippies
    • Minecraft
But they've got the steel spear studded with steel!
"No"

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Anyone going in there will most likely end up well and truley Wallboned.

:lol:

Persevere, IronBeer! (Hey that rhymed.) You can do it!

Offline redsniper

• Aim for the Top!
Dwarven Spear of Longinus ftw!
"Think about nice things not unhappy things.
The future makes happy, if you make it yourself.
No war; think about happy things."   -WouterSmitssm

Hard Light Productions:
"...this conversation is pointlessly confrontational."

Offline Hobbie

• It's Hot Drop O'Clock!
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
Been a long time since I've read a DF LP. You open to naming the dorfs again yet?
In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Wallbones still lives!

Invade old Wallbones? First we need a proper military. And luck. And Gandalf.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline Kobrar44

• On Suspended Sentence
  • Let me tilerape it for you!
    • Steam
Flood it with water and wait until everything is dead. Might cost you a dwarf or two, though.
Oh guys, use that [ url ][ img ][ /img ][ /url ] :/

Offline IronBeer

• (Witty catchphrase)
    • Minecraft
IronBeer's got a little something for all the good girls and boys of Hard Light's GamDisc! That's right, a brand-new bigass update on the status of Wallbones! This will be a pretty monster post, but I assure all involved that you'll want to read this whole thing! With no further ado, let's get into it!

Work continues on the seemingly Sisyphean task of memorializing all the dwarves slain in our vicinity. It may not be obvious, but Wallbones' workers are actually making some significant progress against the list of the dead now.

****! ARGH! DAMNIT DAMNIT DAMNIT! (Snarlsigh....) Grar. Wasteful and needless. Part of the Gravity Blender design necessitates a staircase running the height of the device, all the way down. Stair tiles can be constructed like walls or floors, but they can also be built from above (i.e. from an overhanging stair tile with no other support). Dwarf Fortress decided to forget this fact- a tile was being constructed from above as some other workers were digging out the floor beneath it, and the stair tile decided to drop.

Two other dwarves were killed in the accident as well, and all of the miners at the site suffered work-stopping injuries.

Patching-up took a while to start, mostly because I forgot that we didn't have an assigned Suturer yet. Now we do.

Oh boy, a mood.

The goblin siege finally decided to piss right off. Excellent news- there's a minor construction project I couldn't start with those idiots ****ting up our beautiful countryside.

First, I have to build a leather works for our current moody craftsdwarf.

And he gets right to work, how pleasant.

EPIC LEATHER PANTS!

As the EPIC LEATHER PANTS were being crafted, I had the second-line and serviceable first-line miners dig out a small alcove in a sandy area.

Oh look, babies. To think I used to hate babies being born. Well, I still hate the interruption factor, but we definitely need the population.

Since the gobbos are gone, I take an opportunity to scavenge some resources from the surface. Among a few other things, I manage to find a few bags of surface plantseeds. Wallbones' workers grab the seeds and a the few splinters of wood still available.

Just in case the previous screencap didn't make it clear, we had another child born.

Ok, so here's one of several cases where Dwarf Fortress' wonky simulation quirks works in our favor. New Wallbones can't recover seeds for several dwarven staple crops because of gamespace saturation. (Remember this, this is actually a serious problem!) There are many types of surface plants that we can grow, and none of those plants even have seasonal restrictions on them! But you'd think that these plants would need to grow on the surface, near the sun's warmth?

You'd be half-right. Surface plants do need a "lighted" tile, but they don't need to be on the surface. And there's a funny thing about "lighted" tiles- once they're exposed to sunlight, they count as "lighted" forever after. Here we see workers building a roof over that alcove I had dug out a few screencaps ago. The roof will keep hostile arrows out, but let our farmers grow delicious surface crops in the safety of our fort!

A side benefit of this project- a long-dead caravan pack animal falls into our domain during the project. It carries a number of useful goods, which we shall claim at our leisure.

Excellent. We still need to replenish our ranks. The newcomers rapidly scamper to the safety of our tunnels.

Shortly after our newcomers start getting settled in, some elves drop by, wanting to trade.

And an all-too-familiar screen follows them about thirty seconds behind.

We wall ourselves in, and try to block out the sounds of battle and goblin occupation.

Wallbones' craftsdwarves really have made progress. The "master list" for deciding the order of potential memorial subjects appears to be in reverse order of death. Most of our named dwarves perished early in the First Sack, so we're getting close-ish to the end of the list.

Oho? What have we now?

He gets right to work.

A rather plain, but exceptionally-crafted mica crown. What's not to love?

And now, out of friggin' nowhere, I begin taking actions to solve our seed saturation problem. The solution to that problem? Kill the Cobrabeast that STILL haunts Old Wallbones, and start pulling supplies from the still-intact stockpiles there.

I want to minimize risks, so that means the solution will require a lot of work and dwarfy engineering. It's anything but obvious here, but I'm planning on building a king-size rockfall trap to kill the beast. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING in Dwarf Fortress can survive a cave-in, and this time, I've actually got a well-planned design and scheme to go along with it.

FFFFFF. No big deal, I'll just shift where we're putting the trap by a small amount.

Consider the oh-so-eager-to-kill goblin army outside our walls. So close, and yet so, so far. This area will be the top of the trap.

Cave-ins only occur if a tile or block of tiles become completely orthogonally detached from the larger mass. Mass of the block doesn't matter, so I'm going to dig out a big stone pancake and have it held up by a single support. I'll draw the beast in, have another dwarf break the support via lever a safe distance away, and KER-SPLAT! ...at least, that's the plan. And we all know just how well my plans work. This one's got solid fundamentals at least, I promise!

Dig, dig, dig....

Luuuuurvely. Whatever, we're busy.

And this is where the rubber meets the road, so to speak. This level will be loaded up with retracting bridges and a series of wall baffles to ensure beast entrapment. Some brave SoB is going to need to dig into Old Wallbones, get the Cobrabeast's attention, lead it back here, and (ideally) get out of the kill area in time for the beast to get trapped. More likely said SoB is going to need to go down with the beast. We'll see, however.

Excellent, more migrants. This puts our population back at around 50.

We're out of food. How did we run out of food. Ok, this *is* bad, and really drives home the need to reclaim the old fort. However, I do have a minimal grasp on this problem. The plants that we can grow have been steadily processed into cooking-ready materials. I conscript all the qualified cooks in Wallbones and build an extra kitchen. Cave Wheat Flour biscuits may not be the tastiest food ever, but they sure beat starving.

Oh teh noes. Something's messing with the levers in Old Wallbones. No matter.

Oh, goody. Dwarven caravan. Our surface trade depot got wrecked by the last group of gobbos and trolls, so these guys are SoL.

Progress on the deathchamber. The bridges are setup such that if they retract while the Cobrabeast is still on them, the beast will fall to the lower level and be trapped. Unsupported floors provide no protection against cave-ins, so we'll still be able to crush the accursed thing.

I forgot about the new trade depot. The footslogging merchants barge through New Wallbones to reach the new trade depot. If I can't step up food production, we'll be circling the drain really soon. I hock all the valuables we still have (aka scaveneged from other unfortunate caravans) in exchange for all the food this caravan carries. I don't even care that I'm "wasting" a lot of trading potential- this might be the only caravan that reaches us for a long time.

Kay. Another mood. Starting to get a little trite now, and that's kinda sad.

Ironically, a bed's "comfort" is dictated by its value. A marble bed would be fit for a king.

A couple of goblin childsnatchers are chased out of the fort, but the snatchers are only a prelude to an ambush! Only one dwarf gets caught on the surface... unfortunately it's the most-skilled grower in the fort! Goddamnit. (Sigh) We can survive without him. With the food from the caravan, we'll have time to train up a replacement.

It's almost time. I now direct our workers to begin disconnecting the "kill block" from the surrounding stone. A lone support in the middle of this block will hold it up, and a lever in the safety of Wallbones will detach that support when the time comes.

The next level down. The channeling and isolating continues.

I choose a volunteer to dig into Old Wallbones and provoke the Cobrabeast. Ilral here will not be expected to kill the beast- he will get the beast's attention, then flee like wildfire back to Wallbones proper. The moment of truth approaches.

I pre-designated digging jobs to break into Old Wallbones, and set up a special "suicide" burrow to access them. Ilral will be on his own from this point forward.

He begins working. I ignore whatever other distractions may be going on- nobody's hurt or mooding, we have food and booze, and a group of migrants is getting killed on the surface because I can't/won't evict the goblin ambush squad. We have bigger game to kill at the moment.

My original plan hinged on the beast going aggro as soon as a path the New Wallbones became available. That didn't happen. Ilral stalks closer to the ugly beast, trying to get its attention....

....and he does, in the worst possible way. Ilral panicked, and didn't run straight back home. The beast caught him, and slew him.

The smug, ugly bastard doesn't press on, however. It could be something to do with the widespread and critical injuries it's suffered. This is interesting to me- I didn't realize the Cobrabeast had suffered that badly from its wound infections. Either way, that thing's still a mortal threat to the fort. I'm going to take another crack at the "bait" strategy. I conscript a fast-looking dwarf into a military position- maybe the military AI will work better.

It doesn't, unfortunately. Volunteer #2 moves just like I tell him to, but he doesn't disengage. The nutty gung-ho beardman attacks the beast with his bare hands! For a while, it looks like the volunteer might actually manage to defeat the Scourge of Wallbones, but his strength ultimately proves insufficient. Volunteer #2 didn't die in vain- while he didn't do much real injury to the beast, he revealed that the beast is much weaker than it used to be. Since the beast is staying passive even with a nice path into the heart of New Wallbones, I decide to try another tactic- one that I normally wouldn't consider.

Direct confrontation. While I haven't managed to scavenge any dwarf-sized armor, we do have a small number of decent weapons available, not the least of which is the deadly artifact spear Okilitred. I find six dwarves with military skills and match them to their best weapons, and march them into the festering heart of Old Wallbones...

...and the beast falls. And the beast falls! AND THE BEAST FALLS!

The fight wasn't terribly exciting- everybody just jumped on the Cobrabeast and started stabbing/slashing/chopping the crap out of it. One brave soldier did suffer significant injuries, and I can't tell who got the killing blow despite reviewing the combat logs extensively. But, we are free! We walk knee-deep in the dead, but we are free of the Cobrabeast's reign of terror!

We will endure.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2022, 03:01:35 pm by IronBeer »

Offline CommanderDJ

• Software engineer
    • Minecraft
Woo! Go IronBeer! I'm really glad you've picked this back up, and that the beast is dead! Can we claim its head as a trophy or something?

Whoooooo, go dwarves!