Author Topic: Hello everyone!  (Read 1636 times)

Offline Tengert

Hello everyone here on this hard light production forum. I am new here.
To start off I like to say it's good to see others out there who love Freespace and Freespace 2. I really enjoy them, as well since I was younger.
I really like the fact someone is out there keeping the games somewhat up to date, and keeping the feel of them.

But alas I digress, I recently downloaded the Installer for the more advanced freespace, and ran it, getting almost all the mods installed.
 Though when I tried to run it, it only ran on the old textures and models from the actual game files.

Here is what you need to know,
 1. I bought it on steam and it is setup to run on steam.
2. Running it through steam gives me an error of, "Cannot be run through root drive directory."
3. I can run it from inside the files using FRED2.exe, and it starts the game, and is playable no next textures or models present.

Any help will be nice, I want to get it to run on the newer models.

Thanks, to any help given.

Hello and welcome.
In order to run Freespace Open, you also need a launcher to set up which mods you want to use and which version of fs2_open you want to use, and use that to launch the game (although you can point Steam to the launcher's .exe).

Look into you Freespace 2 folder, there should be something called "wxLauncher", try running/installing that.

Once you've got the launcher running, point it to your FS2 folder, set things up in the Basic settings tab, select the mod "MediaVPs 2014" in the mods tab, then hit "Play".

Then you should be good to go :).

Offline Lepanto

• Believes in Truth

Even if it might be hard to figure out FSO's complexities and get started playing, boy is it worth it. You've got SO much content to look forward to! :D

And that's not to mention maybe making your own stuff down the line.
"We have now reached the point where every goon with a grievance, every bitter bigot, merely has to place the prefix, 'I know this is not politically correct, but...' in front of the usual string of insults in order to be not just safe from criticism, but actually a card, a lad, even a hero. Conversely, to talk about poverty and inequality, to draw attention to the reality that discrimination and injustice are still facts of life, is to commit the sin of political correctness. Anti-PC has become the latest cover for creeps. It is a godsend for every curmudgeon and crank, from fascists to the merely smug."
Finian O'Toole, The Irish Times, 5 May 1994

Blue Planet: The Battle Captains: Missions starring the Admirals of BP: WiH
Frontlines 2334+2335: T-V War campaign
GVB Ammit: Vasudan strike bomber
Player-Controlled Capship Modding Tutorial

Offline deathspeed

• i can't think of a good avatar
    • Steam
Maybe someday God will give you a little pink toaster of your own.